Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I actually think the new bras for tweens/teens in particular are really super cute - no, not trashy at all! MUCH better than some of the stuff I used to wear back in the day - lol. Back then it really was a choice between white bras with little pink bows or sheer, lacy barely there little things.
The choices are much better now. Not so boring.
No one likes boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
you could pick 5 from target, get like two bikini cut, two boy shorts and one hipster cut, in stripes and patters and NEON COLORS!!!!! Lol.
But what really is the difference between shopping the lingerie section at target with thongs, lacy things, and nighties, and in the PINK section of VS with lounge wear and basic wear? Why not allow your teen to feel like they're growing up a little and can shop for basics at places other then the discount store?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Bikinis are outwardly sexy.
I would hardly call any of the bikinis made for toddlers, young girls outwardly sexy. If they were selling them as padded tops, I would question that. But I don't really see how exposing the belly button (!!!) during some fun time at the beach or pool is considered sexualization of young girls.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM

There is a huge difference between a bikini and a two piece swim suits.

There is nothing wrong with a two piece for a toddler as long as it covers the right areas.

Stomachs aren't sexy, neither are shoulders, despite what the prudes tell ya.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Here's a feminist website's take on the whole Victoria's Secret marketing to tweens issue: The Right-Wing Disinformation Campaign Against Victoria's Secret

Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Oh yeah some bras and underwear are sooooo ugly.

Nothing wrong with fun stuff, just because it has lace doesn't make it trashy or sexy, it's all in how it's done.

I once saw a pair that was grey with neon yellow and grey lace trim on the top. They looked fun not sexy.

Now all lace and black with some silk might be sexy.
That sounds like what most teens really want, they aren't looking for all lace, see through, super sexy adult stuff, they just want fun, cute things to wear because they are often changing together, they know other girls will see them, they aren't trying to be sexy for boys. I'm not one who believes in overemphasizing fashion or looks, but a girl in ugly granny panties is likely to feel embarrassed in the locker room, so why not let her wear something young and cute that she feels good in.

To answer the OPs concern, yes, adult underwear should be made in the small sizes that some women need, it doesn't matter if it could theoretically fit a child, if it's designed for a woman it should come in all sizes.

Last edited by detshen; 03-29-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
What locker rooms were you guys in that girls were looking at other girls' underwear? That didn't happen in ours.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Who wants to wear blah and boring???

Why not the fun colors?
When I finally got into wearing bras I loved the fun colors and patterns. No one saw them but me and the girls in gym class but I didn't care what they thought, I did have a few boring ones and I always thought with all these cute patterns out there why buy something so boring?
Even now, my fav is a bright neon greenish yellow with zebra stripe straps. I could care less what DB thinks ITS NEOOOOOON!!!!!!

There are so many fun colors and patters and styles, why wear basic boring crap?

Instead of buying the 5 pack basic white ones you could pick 5 from target, get like two bikini cut, two boy shorts and one hipster cut, in stripes and patters and NEON COLORS!!!!! Lol.

Just because no one see its doesn't mean it shouldn't be fun.
But, why spend extra money to get stuff that looks fun if no one is going to see it? By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks this. I asked around, and a lot of people I know don't understand it either.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
But, why spend extra money to get stuff that looks fun if no one is going to see it? By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks this. I asked around, and a lot of people I know don't understand it either.
Because we have to see it.

Personally if I was wearing plain granny panties and looked in the mirror I'd think ew that looks disgusting, I don't like looking at myself when I look like crap but if I had on something that didn't look like it was trying to swallow my torso and was neon and cute I'd be happier.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
And it's not really expensive either.

Targets cute stuff was 6 for $20, that's a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting