Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Pink for younger kids (tweens) yet they offer the "date panty" which "isn't quite a thong, but not a cheekster either" Or the pair of underwear with "Now or never" written on the rear. Just what young children need exposed to.

I am so thankful I have a boy.
Pink is not "for kids" or "for tweens." The fact that it fits you doesn't mean it is for you. A tween doesn't need a plunging pushup bustier either, but Victoria's Secret sells those too.

The panties are pretty suggestive, as are the print ads. My 16-year-old and I have a good laugh over them. Just because something is there doesn't mean a young woman has to wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
To clarify where the latest media hoopla / parental outcry over Victoria's Secret originated, the backlash came after Stuart Burgdoerfer, the CFO of Limited Brands, announced at a conference that Victoria's Secret's new marketing demographic was younger girls. He made the following comment about tweens and teens: “They want to be older, and they want to be cool like the girl in college, and that’s part of the magic of what we do at Pink.” In conjunction with this rather forthright public statement, parents and the media also noted the choice of teen favorite Justin Bieber to perform at the televised Victoria's Secret "fashion show". The Pink line is using the new slogan "Bright Young Things" and items featured include pushup bras, lingerie, and thongs with lettering such as "play with me", "wild", "call me", "I like it hot" and "feeling lucky". Victoria's Secret was quite candid at the conference about targeting young teens with this line, but since the backlash the company has become guarded about the products and the accompanying advertising which features very young and young looking models.

In addition to the above, many parents and families are boycotting Victoria's Secret due to an even more serious issue. It has long been known that Victoria's Secret (along with many other companies) uses sweatshop labor to construct it's garments. However, the stories of beaten and unpaid slave workers that have come out of the V.S. sweatshops are particularly disturbing. Victoria's Secret, in many different ways, has earned a reputation for being even more irresponsible than the the average U.S. company. Between that and their dreadful high cost - low quality products, we're seeing more and more informed shoppers opt to buy their bras elsewhere.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I gotta agree with you on the need for a Tween section. Something for the the 10-12 year olds because the clothing that is available in juniors is just too old for them. I don't even like half the crap that is in the 7-14 section because there is no way that clothing for a 14 year old is appropriate for a 7 year old. I know that there are tweens that need larger sizes, so fine, make the clothing appropriate for that age group and offer all sizes. Right now it feels like they design clothing for the older girls and then just make sizes down to 7.

I think that as long as any store is not marketing clothing inappropriate for a given age to that age group then there shouldn't be a problem. Parents have a responsibility to govern what their children are allowed to wear. If it is inappropriate, then don't let them buy/wear it.
7-14 is a range of sizes that don't necessarily correspond with ages. My 7 year old wears a size 7 (in dresses, but in pants she's still a 5) but she's much smaller than her classmates. Her sister was wearing a size 12 when she was 7 years old. She's 11 now and wearing a ladies 6 petite. I don't know any 14 year olds who actually wear a girls size 14.

I have seen some clothes that are made for young girls in bigger sizes...Arizona brand at JC penny goes up to size 20 in the girls department, and so does Justice. Those aren't juniors styles, they're kid styles made for kids like my oldest, who outgrew kid sizes at most stores long before she outgrew the desire to dress like a kid.

If you think the clothes in the 7-14 section at the store are designed for older girls, you should go to some of the juniors stores in the mall and see what they consider juniors clothes...my daughter wanted to look in Wet Seal the other day and everything there was either sheer or low-cut or very short.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't get it. You can't take your kid shopping and discuss the clothing choices therein?
I never chose inappropriate clothes because I was overweight but my mom's style and my style differed so much when I was in middle school and high school and she always wanted me to buy things way too big instead of the size I was because I was overweight, by the time I hit 14 or so I would have rather ripped my intestines out though my butthole than gone shopping with my mom, she made shopping miserable, picking out fugly clothes and making me feel fatter than I was. Some kids and parents just cannot shop together.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Pink is not "for kids" or "for tweens." The fact that it fits you doesn't mean it is for you. A tween doesn't need a plunging pushup bustier either, but Victoria's Secret sells those too.

The panties are pretty suggestive, as are the print ads. My 16-year-old and I have a good laugh over them. Just because something is there doesn't mean a young woman has to wear it.
That is what I am saying, that they SHOULDN'T be for kids or tweens, but PARENTS take their kids, very young kids INTO those stores to buy what they sell. VS knows it and are now marketing more stuff towards them however.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
If people are up in arms about this, where is the outrage for toddler bikinis?

Really - someone bought my 3 yr old a 2 piece bathing suit. It was returned and exchanged. No different from underwear if you ask me.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
I thought P!nk was for adults I never seen it marketed to kids

Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
its not marketed to kids, teens for sure, but not kids.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
its not marketed to kids, teens for sure, but not kids.
It's not even marketed towards teens, it marketed to college age girls and of course high school girls like it too.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Then parents should quit whining.

You either divide Juniors into TWO departments one for girls maybe 15 and under and the next section 16+ or one section till 17 and the other 18+ type stuff...
Or more parental responsibility is needed.
You do realize that there is a Misses department don't you? Jrs is for tweens and younger teenagers. Misses for older teenagers and younger-mid 20s and women's older and then there is the Sag Harbor wear for much older
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting