Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Now the principal has cancelled the dance. Because of a threatening email. Sent from overseas. Seems like she's just taking her ball and going home.

BTW, for those of you who agree with Ms. Moffat that the dresses would be "distracting", what exactly would they be "distracting" from?
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they should be able to behave.....what the girls wear shouldn't matter....why should she not be able to wear what she wants because of him.....etc. But, any principal in their right mind would rather avoid problems than have to confront them. Were I the principal, I would cancel before I relinquished my dress code. Caving in would send the wrong message to the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't think distracting is necessarily the right word. But I do think it is ok for schools to have dress codes, and I think it is ok to enforce those dress codes at school functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think the statement the principal made was very unfortunate. I also don't think the term "distracting" was appropriate.

I am a fairly laid back parent, and am only concerned about how my own children dress. If people want to dress their 10 year-old in a transparent body suit, that's their business.

For me there are 2 issues of importance:

1) There are dress codes everywhere, particularly in schools. Any relatively intelligent parent knows this.

2) There are serious issues facing education in this country. People choosing to make this topic one to fall on their sword over, take up the school district time over, elicit parent support over, and involve the press in is not only pathetic, but illuminates why we are up the creek without a paddle in education.
Yes. Both of these pretty much cover my thoughts on the matter.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
2) There are serious issues facing education in this country. People choosing to make this topic one to fall on their sword over, take up the school district time over, elicit parent support over, and involve the press in is not only pathetic, but illuminates why we are up the creek without a paddle in education.
I so agree with you.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they should be able to behave, what the girls wear shouldn't matter, why should she not be able to wear what she wants because of him.....etc. But, any principal in their right mind would rather avoid problems than have to confront them. Were I the principal, I would cancel before I relinquished my dress code. Caving in would send the wrong message to the kids.
And their parents! What are these parents thinking?

I have two daughters. I agree to the fullest extent possible that girls should be able to wear what they want, in public, w/o worrying about being a distraction. After all, girls wear far fewer square inches at a beach party (as do the boys).

However, why choose this issue to "wave a banner" as a friend of mine used to say? Is anyone going to be hurt by requiring the girls to wear strapped dresses?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
There should be more principals requiring this. This is "Middle school", and not HS.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix.
Makes no sense. What, exactly, are the middle school boys supposed to be paying attention to at the dance that a bare shoulder would prevent them from paying attention to? That's what "distracting" is. It's a dance, a social event. If the middle school boys are paying attention to the middle school girls (and vice versa), that's not a problem, it's not a distraction at all. If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Makes no sense. What, exactly, are the middle school boys supposed to be paying attention to at the dance that a bare shoulder would prevent them from paying attention to? That's what "distracting" is. It's a dance, a social event. If the middle school boys are paying attention to the middle school girls (and vice versa), that's not a problem, it's not a distraction at all. If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.
LOL. in some strapless dresses, shoulders are not what is emphasized. Heh.

Really it depends on the dress and the body type the dress is on.

That said, no girls should be held responsible for all that, but in general, middle school is on the young side to have to navigate this stuff to begin with. High school juniors need to be able to navigate it all. Middle schoolers are young enough that they shouldn't be contemplating each other's cleavage up close and personal in the first place IMO. They just got working parts the day before yesterday. LOL

Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.
Haven't spent a lot of time with middle school students who aren't related to you, have you? It's not the shoulders, it's the issues shoulderless dresses create for other body parts.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think this is ridiculous. Some shorts are so short to leave nothing to the imagination and I doubt they ban those. How about tight pants and leggings? What do you think about this?

Strapless Dresses Too ‘Distracting’ for N.J. School Dance - ABC News
I wonder if something like this would be within the dress code? It's got straps.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL. in some strapless dresses, shoulders are not what is emphasized. Heh.
Gotta admit, when I think "strapless dress for school dance", I'm thinking more this

than this

But as others have demonstrated one can emphasize as much if not more in a dress with straps.

Quote:
That said, no girls should be held responsible for all that, but in general, middle school is on the young side to have to navigate this stuff to begin with.
Well, then, you probably shouldn't have a formal dance to begin with; the whole point of such an event is to allow them to navigate this sort of stuff in a relatively safe and chaperoned environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting