Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times

Advertisements

It was mentioned yesterday that some parents of boys at this school are also offended, they took the comments to mean that boys can't control themselves around girls who are wearing strapless dresses...

The whole thing is out of hand. But the school board is involved now. That principal will not be at that school next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My comment isn't really about me. I do not advocate blindly following rules. Ever. School rules are not laws.
I get that, but it is irresponsible to teach your kids that rules don't apply to them. I can see taking a stand about something that is truly unfair, or wasn't widely known, but a student was punished for not following, or something that is actually a *big deal* This is not a big deal. It is not unfair. It is not surprising. IMO the parents have set a horrible example. They are teaching their kids to whine and complain if they don't get their way. Do you want them doing that in your home when you set the rules?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I've never once heard of a dress code in a movie theatre, except for the employees wearing uniforms.
I've never ever heard of anywhere having a dress code for its patrons...
You've never seen "no shoes, no shirt, no service"? I just went on a cruise and there was a dress code for dinner. I was kind of disappointed that people who didn't follow it were allowed in anyway.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It was mentioned yesterday that some parents of boys at this school are also offended, they took the comments to mean that boys can't control themselves around girls who are wearing strapless dresses...

The whole thing is out of hand. But the school board is involved now. That principal will not be at that school next year.
If they chose to interpret her comments that way, that is certainly their prerogative. She said the dresses would be a distraction.

I think it is a huge waste of the school board resources to have to call a meeting to deal with this. I find it hard to believe that this school or this school district doesn't have more pressing matters for parents and administrator's to focus their time and energies on.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
And this is why I'm going to be incredibly picky about what schools my kids go to.
You're going to have to home school if you expect to agree with every rule the principal/administration makes.

Quote:
When you are zoned for a public school you really can't go somewhere else.
You can open enroll in many states.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I get that, but it is irresponsible to teach your kids that rules don't apply to them. I can see taking a stand about something that is truly unfair, or wasn't widely known, but a student was punished for not following, or something that is actually a *big deal* This is not a big deal. It is not unfair. It is not surprising. IMO the parents have set a horrible example. They are teaching their kids to whine and complain if they don't get their way. Do you want them doing that in your home when you set the rules?
Yep. Almost every school in America has a dress code. Just follow it.

If you're shopping around for a school that allows strapless clothes, you're probably going to be shopping for awhile. Most schools I've come across don't allow them.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post

My impression...

..from what I can tell it is a very small district, at least compared to the one we live in. There is only one middle school. I doubt the decision to ban strapless dresses was made in secret, with no other school officials knowing, prior to the complaints of the one mother. I'd also almost bet that the decision was made after some sort of fiasco with dress at a previous function.

Our school board rarely gets involved in these sorts of issues. The superintendent in our district would more than likely be the one to reverse any such decision, although that would be doubtful.

If this principal did not come back, I'm guessing it would be because of the remark she made to the parent. From what I understand we are all accepting the parent's words as the truth, and there is no other witness for these comments...correct me if I am wrong.

My guess would be, that if she did not come back solely based on the hearsay comments alone, she was given a generous package to leave. The public would not be privy to all the negotiations that happened behind closed doors Or her contract status hadn't been decided for the upcoming year. Districts aren't as quick to fire staff as one might think.

I don't agree with her comments, as alleged by the parent. I just don't see this as all falling soley on the principal though.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
My comment isn't really about me. I do not advocate blindly following rules. Ever. School rules are not laws.

I actually agree with your sentiment about not blindly following rules, and I've had some conversations with my kids about when it might be okay not to follow the rules.

Since I could care less about this particular aspect of school culture, I guess I'm not too excited about not allowing strapless dresses.

While obviously school rules are not laws, at our junior high if you didn't not comply with various conditions for the casual mixer type functions they had, you wouldn't gain entrance...that was explicitly made clear before these functions occurred. So ultimately kids do have a choice to comply or not go.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Teach your kids that school rules don't apply to them, and it's a slippery slope to things that really matter. This incident is not worth making a fuss over.
I already said that.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
I've never once heard of a dress code in a movie theatre, except for the employees wearing uniforms.
I've never ever heard of anywhere having a dress code for its patrons...
There are lots of clubs and restaurants that have dress codes. When I was in my 20s many clubs required men to wear collared shirts. Many restaurants require jackets for men. Almost all stores require shoes and shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting