Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM

88,688 posts, read 85,015,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Sure stupidity is not defined by one race. And white people call their children those awful names too. But it is most common among blacks.

I got the data from "top 30 most common African American baby names Popular African American names | BabyCenter

Among the overall population which includes blacks none of the names I mentioned came into top 30.
100 most popular baby names of 2012 | BabyCenter
Looked at the list. I don't get "Harper" for a girl. Where did that come from? Similarly, "Piper".

And although it's not a new name, I don't like the name Zoe at all. I guess because of words like "protozoa", it makes me think of something you would find in a petri dish. ("Look, Harold, the zoes multiplied exponentially since we added the algae!")

Also, the first time I ever heard the name Zoe was in one of Lawrence Sanders's Deadly Sins novels. It was the name of a female serial killer who murdered men during her mentrual cycle. Kind of colored my perception of the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
I knew a family of four. The two girls were named Spring and Summer and the two boys were Fall and Winter. I attended Catholic School with them in CA in the 70's.

I've heard of Le-sha...the dash is NOT silent.

I have a very unusual middle name. Fairlight, I hated it as a kid but I kept it as my middle name when I married. My grandmother wanted to call me "Fairy" when I was born. I guess at the time it didn't mean what it does now. Like gay use to mean happy and now means someone who is homosexual. I could not imagine answering to FAIRY!
I knew a girl named Gay when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. She was in my younger sister's grade. That was before gay widely meant was it does now. My sister ran into her a few years ago, and she uses only her middle name now.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I do know a girl named Sunny Day. No joke...
So do I! Strangely, it is her married name! "Sunny" can be a nickname for Sonia, too.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,517,014 times
I used to work with a woman named Sunshine and her sister was named Summer. I loved the names. When Sunshine would go on vacation from work the day she got back, as soon as she walked in the door, the office manager and I would sing, "Ain't no Sunshine when's she's gone...only darkness when she's away." Her husband sings it to her too sometimes.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,583,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

On my way to work I used to walk past a building bearing a plaque announcing the workplace of Mr. I. Groc.o.c.k.

He was an artificial limb maker.
Bwahaha! Poor dude.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM

29,760 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Looked at the list. I don't get "Harper" for a girl. Where did that come from? Similarly, "Piper".
A college friend named her daughter Harper after Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird. Piper, you got me.

I don't have kids, but most people in my family have gone the "name your kid after a family member" route, which keeps things traditional. Except for the one cousin who has a girl named Brooklyn.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A college friend named her daughter Harper after Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird. Piper, you got me.

I don't have kids, but most people in my family have gone the "name your kid after a family member" route, which keeps things traditional. Except for the one cousin who has a girl named Brooklyn.
But that wasn't really the author's first name...oh well.

This isn't the first time someone said they heard of a girl named Brooklyn. Why just that borough? How about Bronx for a boy? Or Manhattan?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,583,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A college friend named her daughter Harper after Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird.
I have a friend that chose Harper Lee for the same reason.......despite the fact that Harper Lee's full name is Nelle Harper Lee. Nelle being her grandmother's name Ellen, spelled backwards.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I know of a child named L-a (La-dash-ah) that's how her 14 yr old ghetto mother pronounced it. I had to check the paperwork twice.....poor kid

And I think the OP has a lot of nerve picking on other people's name choices when he named his kid Declan...reminds me rat poison or floor polish. Not at all attractive.
snopes.com: Le-a

LOL. I've heard so many people claim to "know" a child with this name, and every time I hear it I laugh right in their faces. People too dumb not only not know a lie when they hear it, but to repeat it and lie again, claiming to personally know someone who named their child Le-a. It's racist propaganda which of course, certain idiots who want to believe every negative thing about blacks took and ran with, and managed to make themselves look like fools in the process.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have a friend that chose Harper Lee for the same reason.......despite the fact that Harper Lee's full name is Nelle Harper Lee. Nelle being her grandmother's name Ellen, spelled backwards.
AHA--I wondered about the "Nelle" spelling.

My middle name is Ellen, apparently an attempt to make two grandmothers, Nellie and Helen, happy that a granddaughter had a sound-alike name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting