Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. My kid would have been named West Paterson. Nah, don't think so.
Mine would be "Medicine Bow National Forest" (bad name for a girl) and "Dallas" (ditto).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Surnames used as first names:

Harper, Hunter, Grayson, Fletcher, Cooper, Piper, etc.

Substituting a "Y" for another vowel sound in any name:

Trystyn, Kristyn, Madisyn, Jordyn, Addyson/Addysyn, etc.

Dorky religious names:

Malachai, Mordechai, Jedidiah, Mohammed, Esther, Obadiah, etc.

Place names:

Dallas, Austin, Kansas, Brooklyn, London, Paris, etc.

ANY name that is another word intentionally spelled backwards (not talking about palindromes):

Neveah. Enough said.
McKenna, Kennedy, Mason and others too numerous to mention. While I don't care for surnames as first names, there seems to be a lot more of that in boys' names, both currently and traditionally, e.g. Scott, Carter and some others I can't think of right now.

Robyn, Lynda (was popular in the 50s as an alternative to Linda)

I like Esther. It means "Star" and I like stars. There are plenty of biblical names used, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, James, Phillip, Mary, Martha, Judith, Deborah, Elizabeth, Sarah, etc.

Yeah, Neveah is over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Continuing on a bit being named by where you were born, would that be the city, state or county? So my name could be either Chicago, Illinois or Cook. Not too crazy about any one of these as a name for a person.

Some names of people I know and like:

Anita
Eden
Genevieve
Ruth
Sharon
Ella
Jewel
Evelyn

Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
You are the 1863th person on the Internet to know Lemongelo and Orangelo
Those are REAL names. The originals were/are from Greenville, Mississippi, as was/is Formica Dinette and Pajamas Johnson. Greenville used to have the highest percentage of published authors in the world, who tended to uptake the local color into fiction. Just like in New York or LA, if it happened in Greenville, somebody eventually wrote about it. That's why everybody on the whole planet has heard of Orangello and Lemonjello.

That cigarette-smoking attorney who wrote 'The Firm' wrote one or both Jello names into his work... maybe 'A Time to Kill'. I'm sure he used to hang with the Greenville literary crowd, until his second or third bestseller. They probably passed the names along to him.

If you're wondering about the PROCESS in Mississippi, whereby these names are derived.... The New Mother, following delivery, casts her eyes about the room. First thing she sees.... Therefore, I have actually MET a Bufferina (Bufferin bottle, ya know...)(lived up to the name, too), and know someone whose friend's maid's daughter named her kid Kleenexia (pronounced Clineesha, sort of like Clinique).

My own first names were on the level with Destiny Desiree, and my Husband's were about like Lonny Donny. Our last names also screamed "step down from the trailer park". (we were both from backgrounds about as rural and poor as could be imagined). So, before we tied the knot, we brainstormed with upper class friends from my Economics study group, who'd taken us under their collective wing. We legally changed our names, prior to the marriage, to.... well... The Rothschilds and the Livingstons would weep with envy. I've gotta say, the nuance and implied heritage contained in those names has served us well. Not a bad collaborative effort for a bunch of college freshmen.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Any names with dashes or letter changes to make a name look "different" or "unique". (Jaymes instead of James or Marquez instead of Marcus).

Any black and ghetto white names (Shaniqua, Tanisha, La-a, and Nevaeh are a few examples).

I hate the "den" name group (Brayden, Hayden, Cayden, Aiden, etc.)

The trend towards giving girls boy names (Addison and Madison).

Naming your babies after cities or famous people (Brooklyn or Khloe).

Names that are based upon a trend or a name that was intentionally given to make a political statement.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My name screams loudest for 1959!
Three times!

Linda, Lisa, Julie, Karen, Cathy, Debbie, Cheryl.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Linda, Lisa, Julie, Karen, Cathy, Debbie, Cheryl.
Yuppers. It is one of those names.

However, I use an alternate spelling.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
I know a couple who named their daughter Polly Ester (polyester). Their son has a similar name but I can't remember what it is. I just don't get why you would want to name your kid something that sounds just like polyester, which is the point. She goes by Polly though.

What about older names like Celie or Josephine?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
I knew someone who named their son, Delion. You would've thought it's pronounced Di-lee-on or something like that. Nope, it's pronounced "Da-Lion" and that's intentional (he was even born in late July )

Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 AM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I always felt sorry for anyone with the name Siobhan (pronounced Shivaun) how the heck do you teach kid to spell its name when its that far off the phonetic ?

My name is Janine, which since moving to the states I have been informed is a 'person of coloured skin' name, (trying to be polite there), I really don't get that at all as its French.

My latest grandson is named Axton, according to my son its pronounced 'accident'. There does seem to be quite a few Axton, Paxton names going around right now.
A name like Shatobreean makes me think of "someone of color," which I also happen to be. I probably butchered the mother's spelling as it's been a few days since the name was shown on a local news report by a station broadcast that reaches my town. French food is not on my radar, so it took me a few seconds to recognize the similarity to the dish's name. Judging by the news report, Shato is/was a male.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,071 times
When I was in college I worked part time in retail sales with a woman in her early 30's whose name was Gay. I used to get a kick every time a customer asked her her name and she'd say "I'm Gay" The look on their face was priceless.

I also worked with a woman from the Phillipines named Clitilda, which somehow always made me think of........... :-)

I also had a customer that became one of my regulars with the last name of Frankenstein......and he was a doctor and insisted on being addressed as "Dr. Frankenstein"!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting