Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

How one feels about sex on television and whether they'd have their kids watching it has nothing to do with being a prude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
How one feels about sex on television and whether they'd have their kids watching it has nothing to do with being a prude.
Well assuming the kid is not staying up until the wee hours to watch skin flicks on pay per view, I can't see another reason for making a deal out of "kissing and bed scenes".

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Doesn't bother me. Violence bothers me a bit more but as long as it's not a steady daily diet of it, I don't see the need to shield kids from it.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
When it comes to what my 11 year old daughter watches on tv, I get very conservative and I do not let her watch kissing and bed scenes. I would rather that she watches old movies from the 50's because the movies before were more wholesome and didn't have bed scenes unlike the movies now that it always involves bed scenes. I do not let her watch MTV either because the videos nowadays are not as wholesome and fun as the 80's, the videos nowadays make the women look sluty and some have bed scenes.
What are your views as a Parent ? Are you comfortable making your kids watch making out scenes or you are just as uncomfortable as I am ?

I have always preferred kissing to killing, when it comes to kids.

Beyond kissing....uh, no.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Your decisions do not effect what takes place in my home. My wife and I are the final authority.
My kids saw kissing which I see no problem with unless it turns to lust, and one night stands which are as regular to tv as commercials, and those are at times just as bad if not worse.
Titillation is not must see tv for family viewing.
You don't own your children, you are their temporary caretakers charged with the most important of jobs.

You are not the final authority on anything, you are the TEMPORARY authority but they will grow up, and then the they are the final authority.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I used to keep the remote handy and change the channel as soon as I didn't like what was on --- and it wasn't long before my kids could hold the remote and change the channel instead of me.

It can backfire because it might be a show you're actually watching and something inappropriate shows up and the channel is changed -- but rules are rules.

It can be better if you have kids that like to play video games instead of watching television.

What is even better is when you make sure your children go outside and play until dark then come inside, get their bath and read for 30 minutes or so right before they go to bed. No television, no video games, it makes for healthier and happier children who know how to use their imaginations and learn to love to read.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Hey OP median age for starting menstruation is less than 12 1/2 in this country. In all likelihood your child's body is much farther along the sexual maturity spectrum than 50s TV is going to prepare her for. Maybe you should work on getting the mind aware of that fact.

Sometimes biology has to trump what parents want.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Actually it may have a long term effect on their children.

BTW all the "sex on TV is evil" folks.

While it is true the amount of sex on TV has increased over the last 20 years, the number of teens having sex has actually decreased during the same time frame.

Sex on TV 4 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs...trend_yrbs.pdf

Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
When I was younger my ex-brother-in-law would get so embarrassed because my parents allowed me to watch scenes with kissing. Sometimes other love scenes, but nothing too graphic. My parents were always in the room with me and I never saw anything without them (movie wise) that was inappropriate. If I had questions, they were right there to ask. I guess it killed any curiosity as I became older, because I never felt embarrassed talking about sex with my mom.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You don't own your children, you are their temporary caretakers charged with the most important of jobs.

You are not the final authority on anything, you are the TEMPORARY authority but they will grow up, and then the they are the final authority.

Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting