Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
WHAT are they learning though? The vast majority of time, when a toddler / preschool aged kid asks a question, the last thing that they are getting at is the answer.
Well they do say the 'why?' stage is them trying to learn about the world and figure out how things work...Of course DS will often ask completely senseless questions as well as reasonable ones. I do tend to ignore the silly ones more, or just make up an equally silly answer. He won't take 'I don't know' for an answer either - so even though I honestly don't know why Mickey's pants are red, I need to give him an actual answer, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
My daughter is pretty much stuck on two questions at the moment - "whats that?" which is learning something and she is actually interested in the answer but just not satisfied with it, and "where is (name)?" when someone goes out of sight for even a moment, she just asks that on repeat until they appear again ARGH

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
It is a matter of degree, it seems to me. I think the foaming fervor has abated since when my kids were babies but this

Use Nurturing Touch
Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
Provide Consistent and Loving Care

translated into

Never leave your child un-held or you are a crappy mother
If your child is away from you for so much as a second, ESPECIALLY at night, then they are going to become axe murderers.
Never ever allow your child to be discomfited. The more you suffer, the more you are demonstrating your Giant Mamma Love and your superiority to everyone else.

I think the generation before mine was

Never allow your children any comfort at night. MY child was sleeping through the night in utero. We had her back on a schedule by the second day.
If you are nice to your child, then they will expect it all the time. Break them of that bad habit early and often.
Children should be seen and not heard, unless they are pushing the lawn mower.

It does seem to often come across as that.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well they do say the 'why?' stage is them trying to learn about the world and figure out how things work...Of course DS will often ask completely senseless questions as well as reasonable ones. I do tend to ignore the silly ones more, or just make up an equally silly answer. He won't take 'I don't know' for an answer either - so even though I honestly don't know why Mickey's pants are red, I need to give him an actual answer, lol.

I guess I think an answer is not the best thing to respond. Why do you think? I often the best response. I would bet my last dollar he could not care less why Mickey's pants are red.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
I guess I think an answer is not the best thing to respond. Why do you think? I often the best response. I would bet my last dollar he could not care less why Mickey's pants are red.
For now he's usually satisfied as long as I give him some answer, like 'because it's his favorite color', as long as I sound convincing enough, lol. I'm sure at some point he'll start questioning the answers too. Asking 'why do you think' doesn't work, 'no mommy, YOU tell me!"
My other 'favorite' is while driving - "what does that sign say?" "what color is that car?" - never mind that we're moving and there is a constantly-changing stream of cars and signs

Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
For now he's usually satisfied ...
Ok! If that is what you are going for.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
My other 'favorite' is while driving - "what does that sign say?" "what color is that car?" - never mind that we're moving and there is a constantly-changing stream of cars and signs
That was how DS learned to read. Once he started being interested in street signs, we'd drive slow and sound them out. If you are into AP, then the engagement is more important than the answer, it seems to me.

What does that sign say?
Can you tell what letter it starts with? (Depending on where you are, slow down/pull over if you can and it is safe)
What sound does "S" make?

blah and etceterah

Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:

Any other introverts out there feeling similar?
I'm an extrovert. . .I think

but I fail at attachment parenting because it doesn't look fun (and not enough Juice to be in that squeeze)

Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM

75 posts, read 77,876 times
Quote:
That was how DS learned to read. Once he started being interested in street signs, we'd drive slow and sound them out. If you are into AP, then the engagement is more important than the answer, it seems to me.

What does that sign say?
Can you tell what letter it starts with? (Depending on where you are, slow down/pull over if you can and it is safe)
What sound does "S" make?

blah and etceterah
I think I can handle that for the first 2 or 3 signs. After that I just want to concentrate on the road and drive.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beankeeper View Post
I think I can handle that for the first 2 or 3 signs. After that I just want to concentrate on the road and drive.
It was an example of living the moment that you were handed to just BE with your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting