Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

Yo Humpty, you're really funny looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I played kid music at my daughter's 2nd birthday party. We did a Signing Time theme, and we played music from the show in the background.

Other music that my kids like includes Raffi, Justin Roberts, Laurie Berkner, They Might Be Giants.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just a caution to watch out with things that can be thrown (beanbags) or poked (toy swords). Kids get overexcited at parties - you don't want anyone to get hit (even by a beanbag) or worse, stuck with a toy sword or something similar, so set the stage accordingly.

I can remember getting very upset by having my balloon "favor" popped by the obstreperous, bossy, bullying brother of the birthday girl at a party across the street from my grandparents' house, where my family was visiting. I burst into tears and ran home to my grandparents (thankfully, it was a very quiet street), then was embarrassed when the party-giving mother came over to apologize and retrieve me.

I was about six or seven at the time, and was not a particularly weepy or hyper-sensitive child - but obviously I was keyed up because of the party, and having my balloon deliberately destroyed was just too much! So, especially with younger children, keep it simple and low-key and avoid potential "dangers" of this kind.
Awww. I hope you got a new balloon.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Too much planning ruins a kids party. Controlled chaos may be more realistic.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. You've really helped a lot.

I think I'm going to skip the music since at least 2 of the kids have sensory disorders, so the music might overwhelm them. The parents will probably be happier, too!

Big day starts tomorrow at 11am - wish me luck!!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Relax, and try to enjoy the party!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
The party was a big hit - my son had a great time, and so did all the other kids!
Thanks for the great advice.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:47 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Great!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Sounds like the general consensus is skip the music, or at least only have a couple songs.

Good to hear that I'm over thinking this! I was wondering how much is too much, and I do have a tendency to overdo things.

I was afraid other parents would arrive and think, "No music? Where are the activities? This poor child has a TERRIBLE MOTHER!" And all the kids would be disappointed and board.

I'm confident about most things in life, but not about being "fun" or an organized mom.

It doesn't help that some relatives all throw huge extravaganzas for their kids, with bounce houses and professional-worthy decorations - I've seen parties for toddlers that rivaled some weddings.
I feel like the "lazy mom" of the family.
Listen, for my kid's sixth birthday, which was at the end of August, I invited about ten kids to come hang out in my parents' backyard. I had pizza and an ice cream cake and I went to the party store and bought some games, like pin the tail on the donkey and a few others and made up goodie bags with candy and toys. Do you know what the kids did the whole time? They didn't want to play any stinkin' games. There was a rope in my parents' backyard tied to a tree limb. It had been there since my younger brothers were teenagers and had climbed the tree and put it up. The kids all stood on line waiting for their turn to jump off the picnic tables and swing on the rope, then they got right back on the line. This went on for at least an hour of the two-hour party.

No music needed, no games, just some food and a rope hanging from a tree. Don't overplan.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
The party was a big hit - my son had a great time, and so did all the other kids!
Thanks for the great advice.
Great to hear. Did you do the "Humpty Dance"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting