Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

I agree that babies don't have to cost that much. I breastfed, which was free, or at least a heck of a lot cheaper than formula. I got 90% of the clothes and gear second hand for cheap. I used cloth diapers, which I bought used, and then sold again when I was through with them. The diapers do cost up-front that way, but you do get a lot of the money back when you sell them. I also experimented with sewing my own cloth diapers, but wasn't a very good seamstress. I know people who made their own out of old t-shirts though. Like others said, the only thing I would really recommend that you buy new is the carseat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Sticking with cloth diapers for the duration is very difficult, plan on buying at least some disposable diapers along the way. Get as many hand-me-downs as possible from friends and family. The baby shower is a really good way to obtain baby clothes, diapers, and even some higher priced items. Our biggest savings was breast-feeding as opposed to formula. But every baby is different, our first refused so we spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on formula. Baby #2 breastfed the entire time, it was a huge savings. Good luck and congrats!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Sticking with cloth diapers for the duration is very difficult, plan on buying at least some disposable diapers along the way. Get as many hand-me-downs as possible from friends and family. The baby shower is a really good way to obtain baby clothes, diapers, and even some higher priced items. Our biggest savings was breast-feeding as opposed to formula. But every baby is different, our first refused so we spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on formula. Baby #2 breastfed the entire time, it was a huge savings. Good luck and congrats!
I disagree. We've used cloth diapers from birth to 2.5 years. He was only in disposables for 1 week during a vacation camping.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM

606 posts, read 944,178 times
If everything goes smoothly (from a medical point of view), then as has already been noted it doesn't cost too much if you're careful. If things go less smoothly then things can be quite expensive indeed, unfortunately.

I would assume you have access to excellent insurance through the military and can carry your child on your insurance -- is that correct? Still, if your girlfriend doesn't have insurance that should be priority one. Despite having reasonably good insurance, our single biggest expense during pregnancy and the next couple years was my medical bills & medications due to complications from the pregnancy and postpartum, followed by expenses relating to an unsuccessful attempt at nursing (lactation consultants, hospital-grade pump, and then expensive formula when all that didn't work). If we hadn't had insurance the medical bills would've bankrupted us, and we had high salaries and a year's worth of living expenses in the bank when I got pregnant.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I disagree. We've used cloth diapers from birth to 2.5 years. He was only in disposables for 1 week during a vacation camping.
Yeah, I used disposables the first 2 or 3 months but that was personal choice. After I bought the good cloth ones I never needed disposables but during a long car trip I might have considered disposables for that purpose, again just choice/convenience.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yeah, I used disposables the first 2 or 3 months but that was personal choice. After I bought the good cloth ones I never needed disposables but during a long car trip I might have considered disposables for that purpose, again just choice/convenience.
Actually fitted diapers are perfect for long stretches - that's what we use at night and he sleeps about 10-12 hours, no leaks

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
If everything goes smoothly (from a medical point of view), then as has already been noted it doesn't cost too much if you're careful. If things go less smoothly then things can be quite expensive indeed, unfortunately.

I would assume you have access to excellent insurance through the military and can carry your child on your insurance -- is that correct? Still, if your girlfriend doesn't have insurance that should be priority one. Despite having reasonably good insurance, our single biggest expense during pregnancy and the next couple years was my medical bills & medications due to complications from the pregnancy and postpartum, followed by expenses relating to an unsuccessful attempt at nursing (lactation consultants, hospital-grade pump, and then expensive formula when all that didn't work). If we hadn't had insurance the medical bills would've bankrupted us, and we had high salaries and a year's worth of living expenses in the bank when I got pregnant.
FYI - under Obamacare, lactation services are now required to be covered by insurance, including a breast pump.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
FYI - under Obamacare, lactation services are now required to be covered by insurance, including a breast pump.
Also, doesn't WIC pay for an LC visit? Maybe they don't anymore..? They did for me though in 97, just one visit to check latch but it was a good thing because it confirmed tongue-tie, a problem that was not caught with my first and caused nursing problems and early weaning.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM

606 posts, read 944,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
That's awesome! My in-hospital lactation consults were covered, but we had three or four home visits from an independent LC (a couple visits, then a frenulotomy, then one or two more) that were not.

I don't remember if I had partial coverage or no coverage for the pump rental, but I just looked up the insurance provider I was with at the time and lo and behold they do cover hospital-grade pump rental now under most circumstances. Cool!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Also, doesn't WIC pay for an LC visit? Maybe they don't anymore..? They did for me though in 97, just one visit to check latch but it was a good thing because it confirmed tongue-tie, a problem that was not caught with my first and caused nursing problems and early weaning.
WIC has breastfeeding peer counselors that you can see. I'm not sure about an LC visit. I know they also often will give you a pump. My sister just got on it, and they told her that if she breastfeeds for at least 1 month, then they will give her a pump. They also give you extra food for mom if you are breastfeeding. However, the WIC breastfeeding support program is on the chopping block for the federal budget, so it may not be around much longer given the current fiscal climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting