Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

I think there is a middle ground of what has been said so far. For instance, "waiting for them to tell you they're ready" is fine, but that doesn't mean you can't introduce the concept and try to lead them to it. In the same way, "making them do it on your schedule" is fine as long as it doesn't turn into you forcing them and fighting over it.

We approached it as introduction and reminder and familiarization without trying to force it. When we met resistance we backed off, when we were giving hints we pushed a little. It's all about knowing your kid. I would say, most kids by around 18-24 months are probably ready for some sort of introduction. Whether they get it then or need a little more time doesn't matter. Among my three, the oldest (boy) got the whole pee thing by 30-36 months and figured out pooping by 44 months. He was late, but once he got it we never had an accident and he never wet the bed. My middle (girl) was more typical and was fully potty trained in the span of a week or so when she was around 24 months. The youngest (girl) has special needs and it took her until around 40 months or so to be fully potty trained and that included school working on it as well.

One of the best signs (at least with my kids) was when they started waking up dry in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:27 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
How do you know when they're ready and how do you go about doing it?

I'm so glad you asked this question as I've been wondering about it myself.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I'm so glad you asked this question as I've been wondering about it myself.
Well there's been a lot of good answers here. All very helpful

Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times
I am having a hard time potty training my boy who's turning 3 in August. I put him there and he stays there for an hour without doing anything then he complains and wants to get out. So I put his nappy back and he poops there right away. It's like he cannot poop on his potty and can only poop on his nappy.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times
My problem is my son is a lazy speaker! He will talk sometimes but not enough to tell me he needs to pee pee! I took him to the speak therapist and she says he's perfectly fine he's just being lazy! Lol I want him trained for October as he'll be 3 and starting nursery. I guess he'll go at his own pace though

Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Had two boys trained at the age of two. They need to be old enough to think they are pleasing mom and dad and like dry clothes. They are proud of themselves then. Big boy/girl pants are in vogue for toddlers. When they catch on to what praise is for a good job it helps.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Usually the last straw for the strongest holdouts is when they see other kids at preschool or (for the most stubborn) kindergarten wearing underwear. They do not want to be the only ones in a diaper.

Hermosaa, I encourage you to NOT leave your child on the potty for an hour. He can develop hemorrhoids, which you really do not need interfering with this process.

Just put him in underwear when he gets off the potty.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
We saw the pediatrician this morning, I mentionned that we were going to start potty training soon and he told me " you don't train her, she'll trains herself". In other words, if she won't do it, then nothing will change that until she's ready.
We'll see how it goes!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
We saw the pediatrician this morning, I mentionned that we were going to start potty training soon and he told me " you don't train her, she'll trains herself". In other words, if she won't do it, then nothing will change that until she's ready.
We'll see how it goes!
Very interesting Sudcaro. My mother had all of her kids potty "trained" by two years of age. I've heard of varying ages per family. Every parent and child are different. What works for one child will not necessarily work for another.

But, this pediatrician is actually claiming that a child can train his/herself to use the toilet? How? They won't really know what it is unless introduced to the concept. Maybe it's the way he said it that has me perplexed.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
We'll see how it goes!
Quite frankly, I disagree completely with your pediatrician.

That's a real dismissal of the influence a parent can have over something like this and, IMHO, complete BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting