Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think you should definitely do this.

While the overwhelming majority of men are not pedophiles, the truth is that pedophiles seek out roles where they will have regular contact with children (school, scouts, camp counselor, etc). They do this because this provides them with a hunting ground for vulnerable victims. They then subtly begin grooming them, and this usually begins with innocuous conversation.

While odds are that he is not a sexual predator, nothing you have shared in this thread convinces me that he is not one.

And I realize that it is terrible that normal men end up feeling questioned about their involvement with children due to the fact that pedophiles have put so many parents on alert.
Agh! Another one! Keep perpetuating the myth that the majority of men are pedophiles, and we will never reach a level of trust.

Last edited by Mattie; 07-15-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Perhaps you could send the instructor a message on FB thanking him for mentoring your daughter. It lets the instructor know that you are aware that your daughter is talking to him.
Can't rep you right now, but I really liked this suggestion.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Agh! Another one! Keep perpetuating the myth that the majority of men are pedophiles, and we will never reach a level of trust.
Actually, KittenSparkles says "the overwhelming majority of men are not pedophiles".

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Actually, KittenSparkles says "the overwhelming majority of men are not pedophiles".
True, but that was just to avoid the controversy of the rest of her post.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Wait. I should be trusting stranger's intentions wrt my child? Why would I be doing that?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Actually the OP did give the ages. The daughter is 15, the instructor is late 20's to early 30's. It appears once again, any contact men have with teenage girls will be considered suspect. You don't even know who initiated the contact, yet you blame the man.

It is not about blame. It is about the well being of the child. It would have been good for my husband if his parents had not been quite so trusting of the boy scout leader. It would have been good for me if my parents had not been quite so trusting of the basketball coach. Taking sensible precaution is not blame.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not about blame. It is about the well being of the child. It would have been good for my husband if his parents had not been quite so trusting of the boy scout leader. It would have been good for me if my parents had not been quite so trusting of the basketball coach. Taking sensible precaution is not blame.
I am really sorry that happened to you.

But I do think that when we raise children to be comfortable saying NO to adults, by the time they are 15 they will not be easily preyed upon by mentor types.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am really sorry that happened to you.

But I do think that when we raise children to be comfortable saying NO to adults, by the time they are 15 they will not be easily preyed upon by mentor types.
That is true. But I do think that Facebook is a brave new world. And a little caution goes a long way. But then I don't think internet privacy is an expectation that ANYone should have. And I would be talking to my daughter, and maybe monitoring the conversations.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM

442 posts, read 800,247 times
What's creepy is you going through her Facebook conversations.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I know that more than a few martial arts instructors are really into their work; it is more than about teaching a skill to them, it is a whole lifestyle.

I do Brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai; a few of my instructors throughout my life have been like this. I know at my schools there was an elevated trust factor in the instructors by parents who drop off their kids/teens, I even gave a 16 year old boy a ride once because of some event downtown was blocking the normal bus route; depending on the school, it can be a very trusting environment, but we all know that does not mean bad things do not happen, just demonstrating a perspective of how the environment could be.

I guess in this case, it comes down to what the content of the communication is. My opinion is the communicaiotn should not be outside professional bounds, but in the case of a hyped up martial arts instructor, it is difficult to say what professional is since for many people, martial arts goes beyond just physical skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting