Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,213,544 times

Advertisements

Why it's important to return the cart is so that it doesn't scratch, nick/damage another person's car. You leave your cart in a space. The next guy comes along and pushes it out of the way so he can park and it scratches the adjacent car. I don't understand how that can ever be ok in anyone's eyes. It's about managing your business. If you cannot manage your business then you tell your husband/wife to do the shopping, call a friend to go with you, tell a supermarket employee that you need help...there are a dozen potential solutions. There is no excuse for being irresponsible. You wouldn't accept that from your children and you shouldn't accept that from yourselves.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 AM

501 posts, read 934,603 times
To be clear, there was only one time that I found it impossible to return the cart. It escapes me as to the exact details and why I wasn't able to return it, but I thought about 5 different scenarios and all of them wouldn't work for one reason or another. I was really embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out. I'm sure I found a way the next time, but sometimes it takes a new dad a little while to figure out the routine of doing things with baby. Maybe you moms never had that problem and everything made sense from day 1, but not for me. I agree that putting the cart in the cart collection spot is the correct thing to do.

My father used to return it to the store, to the same place where he returned the cart. Now that is being courteous. He thought the exercise was good for him, and that no one needed to clean up after himself.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times
I herd the children into the van, shut the door, lock it, and go return the cart to the stall.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I herd the children into the van, shut the door, lock it, and go return the cart to the stall.
I would never, ever leave a baby locked in a vehicle on a day, even for a moment. If anyone else saw me and called the cops, I'd be in the slammer faster than you know it. With a headline reading "Father leaves baby in hot car while returning cart to store."

(This is regardless of whether it is actually hot outside or not...in my climate, it would not be hot in all likelihood.)

No thanks!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
My husband and I always clean up after ourselves and we wipe the table down with a napkin too . I have always made a practice of doing this in front of my kids while they were growing up and they also do this after their kids ..it comes 2nd nature to my kids and us as a whole . Now hopefully my grandkids will pick this up and show their kids and the good manners gene will keep growing . I , for the life of me cannot understand how someone is okay with letting their kids leave a mess on the table and letting someone else clean it up . extra tip or not this is not the waitresses responsibility she is not the parent of your child . Nope sorry but they dont make enough money to clean up after you or your kid .

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I would never, ever leave a baby locked in a vehicle on a day, even for a moment. If anyone else saw me and called the cops, I'd be in the slammer faster than you know it. With a headline reading "Father leaves baby in hot car while returning cart to store."

(This is regardless of whether it is actually hot outside or not...in my climate, it would not be hot in all likelihood.)

No thanks!
Well, I figure my kids are safer strapped into carseats for 10 seconds when returning a cart than herding them all by hands (and no hands) around a parking lot where cars are driving. It's very easy to recoil in horror when you've got one kid and two arms. Those of us who have more, have to be a little more practical in our daily life. When I had just the one, I never left him in the car to return a cart, but I am not an octopus.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
To be clear, there was only one time that I found it impossible to return the cart. It escapes me as to the exact details and why I wasn't able to return it, but I thought about 5 different scenarios and all of them wouldn't work for one reason or another.

AFAIC if your worst sin is to have been unable to return a cart once, then you are going DIRECTLY to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,213,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
AFAIC if your worst sin is to have been unable to return a cart once, then you are going DIRECTLY to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Or pay $200 for the scratched car. Although, people don't usually own up to that either in market parking lots.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Or pay $200 for the scratched car. Although, people don't usually own up to that either in market parking lots.
It did not scratch a car. I carefully positioned one wheel up on the planting box (curb) to ensure that it wouldn't roll across the parking and hit a car.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Not even when you're standing right there to witness it. In 1998 I had just bought my first brand-new car ever, and I had it maybe 2 weeks when I parked at a supermarket and watched in horror as a woman pushed an empty cart right into my car. I was livid. I actually said to her "Um...what the hell?!?!?!" She tried to play the Mommy Card. I wasn't having it. I asked for her insurance information, which she refused to give me. I wrote down her license plate number and called the police, but they refused to get involved. So my brand-new car sported a dent and some scratches where she banged into it with her cart. All because she was too lazy to return her cart to the cart corral.

If that ever happens again you can bet I'll be far more aggressive in collecting for damages. It's easier these days too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting