Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,200,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
If they are your equal rank, they get equal say. Period. If you get veto power over anything, then you are a higher "rank" than your children. Just the way it is. You may use a different word, but if you have veto power, then you rank higher in your family. IMHO, parents that parent get veto power.

You base your family's decisions on rank? I don't have "veto power". My authority comes from experience and the respect I have gained from my children by being sensible and working toward their best interest.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,866,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It isn't the military, it isn't about vetoing, or giving orders or "rank" or any of that. It is a family and it is about raising happy, healthy, self confident adults who understand valuing themselves as well as others.

Parents in my family certainly don't out RANK children. Parents and other adults get to make the utimate decisions because they have more knowledge, maturity, and wisdom, not because they are "superior".
So, you don't call it "rank," you call it "knowledge, maturity, and wisdom." But, that means that you are NOT equal to your children. There is an unequal balance of power because of that knowledge, maturity, and wisdom. Sorry, but your knowledge, maturity, and wisdom ARE superior to that of your children. You may have mutual respect, but as the one that makes the ultimate decisions, you are superior to them.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,200,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We had a hilarious discussion about that.
I just asked DH if he considered himself head of household. He said no, do you? Do I consider him head of household. No do I consider ME head of household. I said we are a two headed beast. Cracked us up.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You base your family's decisions on rank? I don't have "veto power". My authority comes from experience and the respect I have gained from my children by being sensible and working toward their best interest.
My husband and I are equal partners, but we outrank our children. We listen to our children and consider their input, but my husband and I make final decisions based on what is good for our family. My children understand that. We talked about vacation destinations, The kids said DisneyWorld. Based on budget, hubby and I had to say no, or veto, that idea. Our children understand, and know that it is best, so they do not keep pestering, but yes, the parents have the ultimate power in our family. That is called parenting. To give your children equal family status as the parent is just wrong IMHO.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
So, you don't call it "rank," you call it "knowledge, maturity, and wisdom." But, that means that you are NOT equal to your children. There is an unequal balance of power because of that knowledge, maturity, and wisdom. Sorry, but your knowledge, maturity, and wisdom ARE superior to that of your children. You may have mutual respect, but as the one that makes the ultimate decisions, you are superior to them.
No I am not. You keep harping about rank. The most commonly used meaning of the word "superior" means higher quality. Parents are not of higher quality. There is not rank, there is no notion that children are inferior. What they are is not finished.

Does a tree outrank a seed? No they are equal, just at different points in time.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
No I am not. You keep harping about rank. The most commonly used meaning of the word "superior" means higher quality. Parents are not of higher quality. There is not rank, there is no notion that children are inferior. What they are is not finished.

Does a tree outrank a seed? No they are equal, just at different points in time.
A tree is not a seed. A tree is mature. A seed is mostly squirrel food. They are NOT equal.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
A tree is not a seed. A tree is mature. A seed is mostly squirrel food. They are NOT equal.
But a tree does NOT outrank a seed.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,156,239 times
Quote:
I disagree, as their parent I have authority over them whilst they are children, it most certainly doesn't make me superior to them. Thinking i'm superior would entail my thinking that they're inferior.

In my mind that is most certainly the wrong way to think of your children.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Quote:
But a tree does NOT outrank a seed.
.....BUT....a tree is superior to that seed, in all aspects, unless of course, that seed is transported to a higher elevation. Also, let's remember that a seed only has the "potential" to be a tree, IF it has the right foundation, food and water, a suitable environment, etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
My Son says "yes sir" randomly, a hold out from watch Thomas the Train

My Nephews (3 and 2) just call me Chris

I have not set, nor plan to set, yes sir/mam or any formal address/acknowledgement on my kids

Hell, he likes Daddy. . i'm good with that for now.
My DB's 4 year old niece is the sweetest little girl. She doesn't say sir or ma'am but she always says please and thank you and is always so nice.
She calls her mom mommy, her moms new fiancé by his first name and me and DB by our first names, although my future MIL refers to us as uncle DB and auntie texty, which makes me happy only cause it makes me feel like part of the family but I want her to call me whatever makes her happy, which so far is my first name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting