Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
I was joking but let me tell you something--I am not IN college; I have a degree. "Skills set" is one of those corporate-speak cliches that I detest.
you don't like too much of anything do you?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM

108 posts, read 135,129 times
Default Really? I hardly think that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you don't like too much of anything do you?
I just avoid being part of the masses.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Default I was saying wow because you jumped all over me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
You're surprised that a toddler picked a healthy meal? I dont get it. This is his typical type of choice since we only keep healthy things IN the fridge for him to choose from. Sometimes he asks for "ice cream" as a snack. Our ice cream consists of lemonade or yogurt mixed in with fruit in Popsicle molds. Its a matter of allowing your child to make decisions that are good. Does he ask for 'bad' food sometimes while out, yes. We dont ALWAYS say yes, if its something I dont want him to have, I'll divert and suggest something else and he's perfectly fine with that.
and I was actually complimenting you. I don't think it's wise to let a toddler get food from the fridge--no. Lemonade and commercial yogurt are loaded with sugar and very addictive. So I can see why a little child would get hungry from that sort of fare. Letting them graze leads to possible overeating.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
and I was actually complimenting you. I don't think it's wise to let a toddler get food from the fridge--no. Lemonade and commercial yogurt are loaded with sugar and very addictive. So I can see why a little child would get hungry from that sort of fare. Letting them graze leads to possible overeating.
While I generally disagree with everything the op is saying, I do have to agree that neither the lemonade thing nor the picture of the "healthy lunch" look or sound particularly healthy to me. It's not a whole meal and it's pretty much all sugar.

The idea of "fattening up" a kid who is on the low end of the growth curve for weight is off, too. Giving them plenty of whole foods to eat is fine - purposely choosing calorie-dense, nutrition-poor food (which I can only assume you mean when you say "not good for you") is a poor choice.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Better yet, don't have lemonade in the fridge.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Quote:
whether they want to leave or what food they want?

Full disclosure: I am not a parent. Let's get this out of the way. So of course I must be clueless, right? Because all parents become child-rearing sages once their spawn arrives.

This occurs often with me: I am sitting in a cafe and a mother is asking her two-year-old what muffin or other food s/he wants. I actually saw a child burst into tears over it. It's too overwhelming to foist that sort of independence on a toddler or preschool kid. They crave parental boundaries/control. But so many parents are afraid of saying no or afraid of imposing their will on the child that they resort to this tactic, which I find destructive. At some point, the child will want stuff that the parent won't allow and then the shizzle will hit the fan.

A similar thing I see is asking the todder/preschooler if they want to leave the cafe. Great--give your child the idea that s/he calls the shot. Sounds like a recipe for success...
You shouldn't judge, you have no idea. I always ask my kid what he wants to eat and have since he could first talk. After you spend 7 or 8 dollars on a meal several times, only to have the kid not touch it because he didn't want that meal, you learn to ask first. If my kid chooses the food, he eats it. If he doesn't choose it, I've probably wasted my money. Little kids are very finicky about food. You probably think we should just starve them if they don't want what is offered, but when your child is in the 10th percentile for weight you want to make sure they get some food in them no matter what. And also, if they don't eat the food you ordered, you then have a hungry child to deal with when no food is available, and a hungry child is a major tantrum waiting to happen. Don't judge - once you have children all the dumb things you've seen parents do start to make sense.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Hungry child does often = tantrum, for sure.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,760,403 times
Quote:
Yes, because the occassional popsicle is going to hurt him. How do you know we use commercial yogurt? We dont. We use organic/plain greek yogurt, which, by the way, does not have sugar additives. Again, you do not know how often he eats, you're making general assumptions. He eats breakfast (usually an egg at his request), a small snack, lunch, small snack, then what i make for dinner. Hardly over eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
While I generally disagree with everything the op is saying, I do have to agree that neither the lemonade thing nor the picture of the "healthy lunch" look or sound particularly healthy to me. It's not a whole meal and it's pretty much all sugar.

The idea of "fattening up" a kid who is on the low end of the growth curve for weight is off, too. Giving them plenty of whole foods to eat is fine - purposely choosing calorie-dense, nutrition-poor food (which I can only assume you mean when you say "not good for you") is a poor choice.
Actually the lunch is quite healthy. He had protein (the peanut butter was organic whole peanut butter), a vegetable and a handful of fruit with water to drink. I never said i'm here to fatten him up, but I allow him cheese (and peanut butter from the picture) since it DOES have good fats in it. Please reread what i posted. Again with the assumptions.

At least what i'm giving him is far better than most americans give their children. We dont keep processed "cheap" food in the house. He gets fresh fruit and veggies the entire day, and he quite enjoys eggs. If i give him the occassional yogurt popsicle (usually like 2x a week), my child is not going to be some hyped up sugar crazed kid, so really, enough with the judgement.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
You shouldn't judge, you have no idea. I always ask my kid what he wants to eat and have since he could first talk. After you spend 7 or 8 dollars on a meal several times, only to have the kid not touch it because he didn't want that meal, you learn to ask first. If my kid chooses the food, he eats it. If he doesn't choose it, I've probably wasted my money. Little kids are very finicky about food. You probably think we should just starve them if they don't want what is offered, but when your child is in the 10th percentile for weight you want to make sure they get some food in them no matter what. And also, if they don't eat the food you ordered, you then have a hungry child to deal with when no food is available, and a hungry child is a major tantrum waiting to happen. Don't judge - once you have children all the dumb things you've seen parents do start to make sense.
LOL--ONCE I have kids? 47--that ship has sailed! Buh-bye, ship!!!

Actually, food in cafes is not very healthy--refined flours and sugars usually are the options. So perhaps not even ordering something at all from it.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM

[/quote] At least what i'm giving him is far better than most americans give their children. We dont keep processed "cheap" food in the house. He gets fresh fruit and veggies the entire day, and he quite enjoys eggs. If i give him the occassional yogurt popsicle (usually like 2x a week), my child is not going to be some hyped up sugar crazed kid, so really, enough with the judgement. [/quote]

Just to let you know, fat from cheeze is saturated animal fat and NOT considered "healthy." Plant fat that is not hydrogenated? Yes. Just make sure your peanut butter is natural and not hydrogenated. Almond butter or tahini would be even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting