Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM

501 posts, read 933,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Actually I do know about what is developmentally appropriate since I have studied Early Childhood Education and am at student teaching level.
I sincerely hope that April Goodwin is not your real name, as any future school district would never hire someone who posts argumentive and ignorant comments like this on a public forum.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
You seem to have your mind made up about what is wise and what is not. So are you really asking for people's opinions or just wanting to argue with people who actually have children?

Going to a cafe might be a special treat - thus, letting them chose whatever they want. Just because they do it then does not mean the child is eating junk all the time.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

You notice she changed the argument as soon as she got close to losing. Post #1 did not discuss good eating habits, it discussed independence and age appropriate questions. Then she changed the subject to good eating habits when she lost the argument on age appropriatenes and independence.

The answer is - giving your children choices at the age of 2 is appropriate and effective parenting. I do it all the time. Sure my daughter won't respond a lot of the time or has meltdowns, but that is not a result of my questions, it's her emotional immaturity.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
As for choices, that is appropriate when the child is a bit older--say, 4 or 5. When a child is 2, don't you want to make sure to set his/her eating habits on a good path? So choosing what to feed your child is hardly Nazi Germany here. I do agree that with difficult kids, the choice between two of YOUR choices is a good strategy.
There are going to be times when there is little/no choice as to what's to eat. For example, when a family dinner has been made, there isn't the choice of anyone at the table (Mommy, Daddy, Sister, Brother) announcing they would rather have steak than chicken. What's served is what's for dinner. You eat it or you don't. This doesn't change whether you're 2 or 30.

But there are other times when there ARE choices, like at restaurants or bakeries, and it's perfectly fine and appropriate to choose what you most like out of the choices in the display case (none of which are probably any worse than the other.) A two-year-old can certainly do that. While there are times they will just have to go with what mom says, there's no reason that needs to be the case here just for the sake of mom being in control. Make sense?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM

If you don't think 2 year olds have opinions about what they want, I invite you to dress my 2 1/2 year old daughter in the morning without asking her what she wants to wear. I guarantee you will never suceed in getting her dressed. She is extraordinaily skilled in not wearing what she doesn't want to wear.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
Actually I do know about what is developmentally appropriate since I have studied Early Childhood Education and am at student teaching level.
And I am the president of Zimbabwe.

Quote:
Just because you allow your toddler full reign of the fridge does NOT mean it's appropriate! I never said kids can't tell you what they want. I said is it WISE to allow them to call the shots at such a young age?

We have an obesity epidemic among kids these days. Perhaps this is one symptom of it--parents allowing their kids to eat whatever, whenever.

Oh we are having a "nowadays" discussion?

Making correct choices is something that children learn throughout there lives. There is nothing wrong with allowing a 2 year old to chose between 2 decent choices. This is perfectly age approriate.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Five year olds are generally in school, so let's hope they have already learned how to make a lot of choices. Heaven forbid they are just learning to do so at that age.
Do YOU want to be a kindergarten teacher with a room full of five year olds who don't know to choose which snack they want or what color crayon to use first?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I sincerely hope that April Goodwin is not your real name, as any future school district would never hire someone who posts argumentive and ignorant comments like this on a public forum.
I hope it IS!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM

108 posts, read 135,129 times
Default Why of course it's a phony name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
i sincerely hope that april goodwin is not your real name, as any future school district would never hire someone who posts argumentive and ignorant comments like this on a public forum.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
I don't think a spawn less believer in crystal power and tarot should be giving anyone advice about anything, particularly not early chdhood development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting