Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

The very LEAST you need to cover is how inconsiderate her behavior is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
What does she do during the day? Enough to make her tired?

Have you talked with her about it or is your conversation limited to, "Go to bed"?

If she's active during the day and not napping then it sounds like she's a night owl. Lots of night owls out there. Some people do their best work at night. My only concern would be if she's cooking. I'd talk to her about that. Find out what she's doing on the computer and deal with that as a separate issue, buy powdered milk and a fan and ear plugs. Other than that you have a healthy 14-year old who likes to dance at night.

Many of us did.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Why is your milk $5 a gallon? Do you buy special milk? Ours in my part of the country (which is not cheap) is about $3 a gallon.
Milk doesn't have to be special to cost more than what you pay.
I know here in PA, there are minimums on milk pricing. We NEVER see milk at $3 a gallon.
Current pricing is here... Pricing Information

Quote:
The milk isn't nearly as fattening as the beer she'll drink in college.
Just because you drank beer doesn't mean she will...

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

She MIGHT be a night owl, but i think she's staying awake artificially by eating and playing internet & music.

TOO MANY STIMULI that she simply wouldn't be experiencing if she were asleep.

It really just sounds like bad habits. The midnight eating WILL catch up to her, and lack of sleep affects teens in subtle ways.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times
I feel your pain. I live in a house, and I hate when my teens are up late, because I am a light sleeper. So I hear them going up and down the steps to the kitchen, no matter how quiet they think they are tip toeing. I grew up in an apartment, and yes you can hear everything. Having said all of that, I think this is a parenting issue. I have teens, my house, my rules. They cannot stay up all night even during the summer. I would TELL her, that she has to be in the bed by 1 am, or whatever time you deem necessary, and no computers. If she breaks the rules, the phone/computers,etc are dropped off in my room...problem solved. If she didnt have all of that stimuli, she would go to bed. I have one that loves fb, pinterest, instagram, etc...and I have to stay on that child about the need to get a life!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Why is your milk $5 a gallon? Do you buy special milk? Ours in my part of the country (which is not cheap) is about $3 a gallon.

The milk isn't nearly as fattening as the beer she'll drink in college.
Well, milk is $5.00 a gallon here right now. Not special, just the store brand.

OP, your daughter is being rude in not considering you. It isn't like she is 8 years old. Make her a list of acceptable activities during your sleep hours and set up consequences if she fails to do the quiet activities. Taking away her computer, cell phone, activities, etc. for a specified period should be helpful. She needs to learn self-discipline and being considerate of others. You have every right to be concerned and every right to be able to have quiet hours when you are sleeping. Who is running the house? It appears she is. Take back control. I would never have tolerated this from my sons. I taught them to respect the rights of others and to be responsible. So, make that list and enforce it 100% of the time.

I did read that all electronic devices should be avoided about 30 minutes before going to bed to stop that stimuli that someone else brought up.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM

501 posts, read 933,830 times
Quote:
She needs to learn self-discipline and being considerate of others. You have every right to be concerned and every right to be able to have quiet hours when you are sleeping.
Being considerate is important, but typing on a keyboard shouldn't be loud enough to keep someone else in another room up.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Being considerate is important, but typing on a keyboard shouldn't be loud enough to keep someone else in another room up.
Not really the point.

She's dancing, microwaving food, and moving around their close quarters all night long when she should be IN BED.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
I'm a night owl. If this is the daughters 'problem' then saying go to bed will not help. She'll just get frustrated because she isn't sleepy. My current hours are middle of the night to sometime when I wake up in the morning. My brain wakes up and starts really working at NIGHT. I used to do all my homework then. And I knew my parents would go to sleep as soon as they went to bed so I'd turn off the light and wait twenty minutes, getting more awake, and then turn on the light and read all night. Or write. It was MY peaceful nobody to bug me time.

My son is like that and would turn on the tv so he got noticed. When I'd get sleepy I'd turn off the light. Sometimes I forgot and woke up with it and my book still ready. Mom would stay up but not as late as I did.

Nobody made a fuss and if I was thirsty or hungry I got up quietly and had something.

I still tend to eat really late since early I'm not hungry. One place we were supposed to be in bed at night so I was. Just not with the light off but my door never was left open. You can't fix the way someone is and if the day people don't get it its too bad. When I would sit up all night writing a story (later dedicated to the night crew of nurses when I was in the hospital) they kept coming in saying you should be asleep. I'd tell them I didn't sleep this time of night and kept writing. They made me put it away one night and kept checking to see if I was asleep and I was quite obviously fully awake so they relented. I wasn't bothering them so didn't see what the fuss was.

I'd talk to her about the noise. And the milk is valid. Here its almost five dollars for the good kind and not much less for the cheap. She is old enought to understand and respect finances. Decent water is a good idea and a britta will save money.

But if she does her homework, gets up on her own, and gets good grades be THANKFULL. You won't make her less of a night owl by lectures, but she can learn to be quiet. Talk about it but don't force her to bed since it won't work.

Earplugs if you can't close the door are good too. And a fan in your room which makes a calming 'white noise' helps.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Really, young teens should not have unlimited, unsupervised Internet access in the wee hours of the morning anyway.
This is really the best advice of the thread so far. The OP is worried about not being able to sleep, but isn't too concerned that one of the things the kid is apparently doing is being on the computer half of the night. I'd certainly block the computer. We already do that with our kids. You have to log on to the computer and they don't know the passwords. We were also having a heck of a time getting them to do their chores as required during the day this summer, so we blocked cable through the TWC Parental Controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'd also enforce a wakeup time, particularly since school will be stating soon. (Well, it will be here, anyway.) If she's getting up at 7:00 or 8:00, then this fascination with staying up all night should fizzle out pretty quickly.
Another good point. We are doing that with our son who is more the night owl than his sister. It's not been easy, but he's coming around. School will help in a few weeks.

As for the rest, close your bedroom door and get a fan. It works wonders for us. The fan stays on every night, year round and typically blows directly toward a wall so it doesn't get us cold.

You're worried about milk. Don't be worried about milk. Sure, it costs a lot, but it's much worse than just about anything else she may drink. Besides, it does a body good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting