Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do not have a kid to fix your marriage, change your life, get out of depression, get you aunt's inheritance, plan for the apocalypse, etc.
And, I suspect, that being pregnant or having a newborn or toddler can be a real problem during a Zombie Apocalypse.

All kidding aside, having children do not solve problems but can result in many, more problems (especially with finances, jobs, leisure activities, & friendships).

BTW I'm a parent of two adults and I love being a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
Ive heard it from quite a few people, that having a child or two, seeing how life is created, can wipe out what people are going through, sadness, depression, their past, etc.

i want to hear your story, because i have been going through tons of family problems, my past with abuse, and i cant snap out of it, and people around me just says "wait until you have a kid, then talk to me again, probably all you will talk about by then is your kid"
No, please consider a pet first as you can always rethink that decision at a later time...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Ive heard it from quite a few people, that having a child or two, seeing how life is created, can wipe out what people are going through, sadness, depression, their past, etc.

i want to hear your story, because i have been going through tons of family problems, my past with abuse, and i cant snap out of it, and people around me just says "wait until you have a kid, then talk to me again, probably all you will talk about by then is your kid"
I gave a quick answer earlier, but I wanted to come back and expand on it. I have never, ever heard anyone say anything close to "having a kid can wipe out your problems."

I had been married for 4 years and was 30 years old when we had our first child. It was planned. We had good jobs and a house and a happy marriage. After my son was born I became depressed. I didn't recognize it as depression and left it untreated for 7 years. All of a sudden, my hormones were whacked, I had this new person living in my house who never slept and cried all the time. I was frustrated because I couldn't soothe him. As he got older, he clearly preferred my husband to me. My husband didn't understand why I was so unhappy. He was sick all the time, so I had a terrible time trying to balance work and motherhood. I argued with my husband about discipline. My mother was critical of my parenting. My son was a challenge.

Having a baby will not fix your problems. If anything, it will make them worse. I love my kids, but they certainly haven't solved life's problems. They've created new ones.

ETA I think you may be misunderstanding what your friend said. I take it to mean "If you think things are hard now, just wait until you have kids." You can't walk away from the drama your own kids bring. It is yours.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:

I never heard of anything like that and strongly disagree. Children can bring their own problems and stresses into a person's life. It isn't fair to the child to be brought into the world expecting it to help it's parent/s with their own problems. You can see how life is created right on YouTube.

Quote:
Please don't be offended but a child is not the answer. Professional counseling can help you deal with these issues. That's why those professionals are there. In my lifetime I have actually seen problems with children drive parents apart to the point of divorce.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
What if you have a child, and find out that this did not solve any of your issues? Then what will you do?

You will be frustrated, annoyed, still messed up, and have a screaming baby who needs a diaper change, food, a bath, and BTW, you FORGOT to get diapers and formula at the store because you were beat tired.

Does this sound like something you really want to deal with right now?

My question for you, is your job stable? Do you have a good living situation, that won't change? I suggest a dog. Dogs can give you so much unconditional love, and acceptance, much more than a child. Dogs don't scream, vomit, and poop at the same time. You can feed a dog almost anything. If you are depressed, a dog is always happy, and fun to play with, go for walks, you meet other friendly people who have dogs.

Get a dog.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Very nice sentiment.
And not remotely universally applicable.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Get a dog.
Only if OP doesn't consider a pet disposable, as one poster seems to suggest. A pet shouldn't be a dry run for a kid- witness the many pets in shelters simply because the owner "moved on" to a baby.

I concur that OP would likely benefit from good therapy about past issues and some time of maturation along with it. Then, if of a mind and situation to be a parent, do it. I certainly think the original comment was meant to mean, "If you think you have problems NOW..." as opposed to stating that having a child would wipe away other issues. Regardless, no one should be dismissing the very real issues of past abuse or difficult familial relationships. These things don't go away, with therapy or childbirth. Only time and perspective can help put them in their proper place (and therapy can help) and that proper place is a resolved place, not a wiped-clean one.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
It keeps your attention as long as you can remember their faces and names.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I gave a quick answer earlier, but I wanted to come back and expand on it. I have never, ever heard anyone say anything close to "having a kid can wipe out your problems."

I had been married for 4 years and was 30 years old when we had our first child. It was planned. We had good jobs and a house and a happy marriage. After my son was born I became depressed. I didn't recognize it as depression and left it untreated for 7 years. All of a sudden, my hormones were whacked, I had this new person living in my house who never slept and cried all the time. I was frustrated because I couldn't soothe him. As he got older, he clearly preferred my husband to me. My husband didn't understand why I was so unhappy. He was sick all the time, so I had a terrible time trying to balance work and motherhood. I argued with my husband about discipline. My mother was critical of my parenting. My son was a challenge.

Having a baby will not fix your problems. If anything, it will make them worse. I love my kids, but they certainly haven't solved life's problems. They've created new ones.

ETA I think you may be misunderstanding what your friend said. I take it to mean "If you think things are hard now, just wait until you have kids." You can't walk away from the drama your own kids bring. It is yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Only if OP doesn't consider a pet disposable, as one poster seems to suggest. A pet shouldn't be a dry run for a kid- witness the many pets in shelters simply because the owner "moved on" to a baby.

I concur that OP would likely benefit from good therapy about past issues and some time of maturation along with it. Then, if of a mind and situation to be a parent, do it. I certainly think the original comment was meant to mean, "If you think you have problems NOW..." as opposed to stating that having a child would wipe away other issues. Regardless, no one should be dismissing the very real issues of past abuse or difficult familial relationships. These things don't go away, with therapy or childbirth. Only time and perspective can help put them in their proper place (and therapy can help) and that proper place is a resolved place, not a wiped-clean one.

I think you two are correct in your interpretation of what they meant by that kind of comment.

I agree with the time and maturity aspect of healing. And I'd like to add that kids can really bring family conflict to the forefront. So best to have gotten to a place where you aren't effected by what other people say and do. Because they all have opinions when you have a child.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think you two are correct in your interpretation of what they meant by that kind of comment.

I agree with the time and maturity aspect of healing. And I'd like to add that kids can really bring family conflict to the forefront. So best to have gotten to a place where you aren't effected by what other people say and do. Because they all have opinions when you have a child.
so true. everyone, especially grandparents ime, has an
opinion on everything from breastfeeding to sleep scheduled to how much time they get with the child to where you spend holidays... it goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting