Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Bottom line for me is about respect.
This thread was started, and piled on, not out of respect but to intentionally try to offend.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
If the kids are left to decide for themselves the will chose non-belief. It's like this, there is an Optimists Club with positive attitudes due to their beliefs. There is no Pessimists Club; they figured no one would join.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I suspect you are being intentionally provocative and obtuse, but here goes. I am an atheist, my DH agnostic. We live in the Bible Belt, so this issue comes up a lot with our children. Each person's spiritual exploration is very personal. As parents we believe strongly in respecting other's beliefs, and we also believe strongly in education. We have frequent discussion about religions, how belief impacts peoples lives. Our children choose to attend church, which is quite fine with me. In our circle we have friends of many differing faiths. I suspect what you are referring to is the faith vs. science argument? I personally don't think they are mutually exclusive, and there is certainly no place for derision and mockery in that discussion.

Bottom line for me is about respect. If I want to raise children who respect others beliefs, and want others to respect their own beliefs, then it's our job as parents to educate them about religion in a way that reinforces that.
Why do you think i'm being provocative and obtuse? YOU'RE being obtuse.
There's nothing that i said that was wrong. the poster said that there's no right or wrong way. and i said yes there is. the right way would be believing things based on evidence and for the children to learn that early on about 'god' or anything else for that matter.
so think before you insult someone like you just did.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mine were asking about God when they were about 3 years old.
Yes, same here.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This thread was started, and piled on, not out of respect but to intentionally try to offend.
absolutely not. it was a legitimate question that i had, and still do. and from the responses, a lot of folks have thought about and dealt with this issue. so for you to suggest what you're suggesting is absolutely a false claim.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If the kids are left to decide for themselves the will chose non-belief. It's like this, there is an Optimists Club with positive attitudes due to their beliefs. There is no Pessimists Club; they figured no one would join.
sorry, i'm not sure i understand that last part of your post. can you elaborate?

76 posts, read 89,709 times
Fortunately I was told god doesn't exist since I was a little child.

155 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
what a terrible to teach kids though.......instead of hard work, just ask for it....

1. if you receive it, he gave it to you
2. if you don't receive it, it wasn't meant to be. it wasn't part of his plan.

you don't see that as a bit skewed?
If there's a divine plan as you implied, then praying or not praying (even if you're a believer) is not going to have an impact on the outcome as it is already decided....hence the 'divinity' of the plan!

I'd rather have kids learn that getting things requires hard work and dedication and compromise....That they need to 'figure out' how to get what they want, instead of always being able to to rely on things being handed to them, simply because they asked for it.
May be I didn't explained it fully. Yes hard work is very important but there are something which is not in our hand that we need Gods support and help. This is what my belief.

There are divine plan for us which will not change and there are some worldly plan (need for world) that may change because of our life style (sins). So we need prayers to overcome this. Again this is our belief.

I can say one incident here. During sandy we have power cut for about 34 hours. The next day of sandy i went to my friends house (in his place no power cut) to charge my mobile. In the afternoon my son want to see some cartoon in my laptop which works only in ac power and no battery. The he pray for some time and before he complete his lunch we got power. Its not a joke we go the power in the afternoon.

it can be easily tell as an accident but we believe in god. My son was so excited and for the next 2 months when ever he talk to somebody about Sandy he start with wind and then a tree branch fall on a car and complete with the prayer and we got power. He learn from our family and from the church Sunday class.

Again this is our own belief

And just add one more point because we are religious its not necessary we are not going to do hard work. We will work hard and we need to do work hard.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Why do you think i'm being provocative and obtuse? YOU'RE being obtuse.
There's nothing that i said that was wrong. the poster said that there's no right or wrong way. and i said yes there is. the right way would be believing things based on evidence and for the children to learn that early on about 'god' or anything else for that matter.
so think before you insult someone like you just did.
That's what you got from my post? Okie-dokie......carry on.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I treat kids the same as I do other people. It is up to them if they want to be religious or not. They are free to do as they wish!

I'm not religious myself, but don't feel I should force my beliefs or non-beliefs on kids or other people.

And I feel it is my job with the kids to educate them about various religions, atheism, etc. And the MOST important thing to teach kids, if they choose to be a non-believer, is that religion is very important to some people. They truly believe in god and their religion. So best to respect their views - don't go around saying negative things about what other people choose to think, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting