Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite names out of this list?
Charlotte 59 48.36%
Kennedy 9 7.38%
Lindsay (or Lindsey) 21 17.21%
Evelyn 28 22.95%
Mary 26 21.31%
Savannah 24 19.67%
Lily 47 38.52%
Isaac 31 25.41%
Calvin 15 12.30%
Irvin 2 1.64%
William 63 51.64%
Ivan 9 7.38%
Wesley 30 24.59%
Lawrence 20 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems that Ellie is usually a stand-alone name, at least at my office.
Oh. Most of the Ellies I know are Elizabeth or Eleanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
Evelyn Mary would be gorgeous! I also like Lily, but it seems like everyone is naming their little girl that! Isaac is really nice.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
All nice names I think. None of them will harm or stereotype the child. I prefer first names that seem like first names so I wouldn't pick the ones that are last names --- however that sometimes works. They can look rather dignified as names.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No other Star Trek fans here? Wesley makes me think of the awesome Wil Wheaton.
I immediately thought of Wesley Crusher as well. Which is why I don't like the name at all.

I don't mind Charlotte, with the nickname "Lottie". But I see now that's out of the running. Honestly, there's a derogatory term that can be associate with any name and if there isn't, kids will come up with something else.

An old "trick" you could do is stand at a staircase (or imagine @ a playground) and yell out the name like you're calling on the child. One of the names should feel natural.

I am also with #3 right now (a complete surprise). It's a girl, and I simply didn't have a name for longest time (already used my 2 on the first 2 girls). After tossing out names upon names, DH finally likes the one name. "Wren" and already my friends tease me on this by singing the Ren and Stimpy theme song. Lol. It's fine, we're still on that name (and kids today are not going to know that cartoon).

Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
My kids have ethnic first names. We have an usual Swedish last name. I googled my kids recently; ther are only two people in the US with each of their first/last names. Needless to say, I have never said what their names are here on CD. It would be too easy for a hacker to find them.
My daughter is the only person with her first/lastname combination, as far as we can tell. There was once another one--my mother-in-law, who died when I was pregnant. We do not have the same last name--I took my real name back when I got divorced because my ex's name is awkward for a lot of people to pronounce and spell and I got sick of correcting everyone at work and in life all the time. My poor daughter got stuck with it, though!

Meanwhile, back to my common English last name and first name that a jillion other girls born in the 1950s were named--there are hundreds of people with MY name out there.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Don't name your child after an old person. Some of the names you had seem to be from another time. For example, Irvin, Ivan, Evelyn, and to me Charlotte. I know Charlotte is popular again, but when I hear that name I think of an elderly aunt.
My mother is Charlotte. She celebrated her 85th birthday this past week. She is amazed that her name is suddenly popular for babies. She had an aunt, a grandmother, and a great-grandmother named Charlotte, so she always felt it was an old-lady name even before SHE became an old lady!

NO ONE ever called her Lottie, by the way. Sometimes people say "Char", but that's about it.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It seems that Ellie is usually a stand-alone name, at least at my office.
In my office, the Ellie is Eleanora.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter is the only person with her first/lastname combination, as far as we can tell. There was once another one--my mother-in-law, who died when I was pregnant. We do not have the same last name--I took my real name back when I got divorced because my ex's name is awkward for a lot of people to pronounce and spell and I got sick of correcting everyone at work and in life all the time. My poor daughter got stuck with it, though!

Meanwhile, back to my common English last name and first name that a jillion other girls born in the 1950s were named--there are hundreds of people with MY name out there.
I have a very common 1940s/50s first name as well. With my Swedish last name, there are 21 in the US. With my maiden name, way more. Apparently my first name is still popular in Sweden, at least among 20 somethings. There are a few in Sweden with my name on Facebook who look years younger than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my office, the Ellie is Eleanora.
Interesting. I know an Eleanora who is "Nora".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-17-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I have a very common 1940s/50s first name as well. With my Swedish last name, there are 21 in the US. With my maiden name, way more. Apparently my first name is still popular in Sweden, at least among 20 somethings. There are a few in Sweden with my name on Facebook who look years younger than me.

Interesting. I know an Eleanora who is "Nora".
My name is rarely used anymore. It's on the same wavelength and time warp as Susan or Debbie. No one uses those names these days.

I had once Googled my own name and wrote to six people with my name, thinking that it would make a good idea for an article. Only one person responded, though. But then, when Facebook came along, a friend of mine looking for me sent me a list of my "alternate personalities" and I was shocked to see how many of me there are. I'm white, but a good number of black women have my name. Which explains why, when years ago I came back from vacation to find we had a new, African-American secretary in the office, she said she was surprised to see me sit at the desk with my name plate because she wondered how a white woman had gotten a black name. LOL.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:39 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
So, back to square 1 with the names....we just found out (though we werent going to lol) that it is 100% a GIRL....so our Isaac William we had finally decided on will obviously not fit and for some reason I just do not love any of the girls names Im now at

Kaelyn
Maia (my-ah) (love the Roman goddess of springtime association since she will, in fact, be born in Spring)
Gemma
Jayme
Savannah
Mary-Jane (since Mary is kinda boring by itself, but worried if the pot reference would always be around)

Any negative nicknames, bullying reasons or terrible things come to mind with any of these names? As always, I appreciate all comments!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting