Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite names out of this list?
Charlotte 59 48.36%
Kennedy 9 7.38%
Lindsay (or Lindsey) 21 17.21%
Evelyn 28 22.95%
Mary 26 21.31%
Savannah 24 19.67%
Lily 47 38.52%
Isaac 31 25.41%
Calvin 15 12.30%
Irvin 2 1.64%
William 63 51.64%
Ivan 9 7.38%
Wesley 30 24.59%
Lawrence 20 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Weirdly enough... My DD2's nickname is Ziggy Jane and that's what everybody affectionately calls her. My mother's husband (very business, type A personality) blew a fuse and said that we were terrible, low-grade type of people to even be willing to associate a child with marijuana. We were like huh? Not getting the MJ reference at all. Apparently people would say, "Hey roll me a ziggy" back during his days. Yea... I never heard that particular reference at all before. While it hasn't change our attitude about the nickname, it does put some things in perceptive-- At least, DD can eventually go by her real name and not have that kind of association.
Everyone knows what Zig Zag rolling papers are used for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I love the name Olivia. An old frien and his wife have a girl named Olivia and call her Lily for short, instead of Livvie.
It doesn't sound like a nickname for Olivia, though!

Back to the OP's latest list. If you're going to call her Jamie, spell it that way. With the other spelling, you'll get "Jame" (silent "e") frequently. Jamie for a boy is usually short for James, so it's not the same name.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
So, back to square 1 with the names....we just found out (though we werent going to lol) that it is 100% a GIRL....so our Isaac William we had finally decided on will obviously not fit and for some reason I just do not love any of the girls names Im now at

Kaelyn
Maia (my-ah) (love the Roman goddess of springtime association since she will, in fact, be born in Spring)
Gemma
Jayme
Savannah
Mary-Jane (since Mary is kinda boring by itself, but worried if the pot reference would always be around)

Any negative nicknames, bullying reasons or terrible things come to mind with any of these names? As always, I appreciate all comments!!
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think the marijuana reference is going away any time soon. If you like Mary, what about some other combo like Mary Claire or Mary Grace?

Kaelyn is very trendy, not to mention it's not an actual name. She would constantly have to spell it out for people.
I like Gemma and Maia!
I'm not a huge fan of Jayme/Jamie, but if you do use it, spell it Jamie. Jayme looks like it would be pronounced "Jame" with no "ee" sound at the end.
Savannah is okay, but it reminds me of names like Madison, Brooklyn, etc. Not particularly "classy"...

Last edited by strawflower; 12-02-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,560,305 times
If I had to choose one from that list, I would choose Mary Jane-

but I would remove the Mary, and just leave it as Jane.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
100 most popular baby names of 2013

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM

626 posts, read 1,349,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I actually just read this list and was surprised to see some of the names on there...I guess as much as I vow not to be trendy, my new name list is, in fact, full of trendy names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh, god no... that makes it even worse. Unless you're the kind that just don't care about what others think? What if your daughter turns out to be the straight-laced type? Mary Jane as a pot reference definitely isn't going away anytime soon.

Weirdly enough... My DD2's nickname is Ziggy Jane and that's what everybody affectionately calls her. My mother's husband (very business, type A personality) blew a fuse and said that we were terrible, low-grade type of people to even be willing to associate a child with marijuana. We were like huh? Not getting the MJ reference at all. Apparently people would say, "Hey roll me a ziggy" back during his days. Yea... I never heard that particular reference at all before. While it hasn't change our attitude about the nickname, it does put some things in perceptive-- At least, DD can eventually go by her real name and not have that kind of association.

Mary Jane was only being considered because it was both of our grandmothers names put together- I think though with the whole weed reference and everyone pointing out the judgment that we will receive straight off along with daddy's appearance...it would fit much better as a middle name, if used at all. Ugh why are boys names so much easier?!! Funny story though about Ziggy =) The first thing I thought of was Ziggy Marley and then zig zag papers came to mind. It is a cute nickname though and yes, Im sure we would get tons of the comments like you did.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Funny story about "Charlotte/Harlot". I had a patient named Charlotte the other day, and as I entered her name into a machine, I didn't press the "C" hard enough and it displayed "Harlotte". Needless to say, I changed it.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,613 times
Quote:
So, back to square 1 with the names....we just found out (though we werent going to lol) that it is 100% a GIRL....so our Isaac William we had finally decided on will obviously not fit and for some reason I just do not love any of the girls names Im now at

Kaelyn
Maia (my-ah) (love the Roman goddess of springtime association since she will, in fact, be born in Spring)
Gemma
Jayme
Savannah
Mary-Jane (since Mary is kinda boring by itself, but worried if the pot reference would always be around)

Any negative nicknames, bullying reasons or terrible things come to mind with any of these names? As always, I appreciate all comments!!
When I hear Mary Jane I think of the song from the 80's, used to love it. Of course it was Rick James so it was absolutely about weed and not a girl named Mary Jane like I always thought, but back then I had no idea!

Out of your list, I like Maia the best and Kaelyn the least. Kaelyn is way too trendy and overdone, and has too many variable spellings. Savannah is not bad either. Names like Jamie/Jayme don't fit all girls, so I'd be iffy on that one. I don't care much for Gemma, but I could get used to it.

Good luck with your decision and congratulations!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,626,474 times
Quote:
I completely understand about the misspelling as Ive had to deal with that as well...I felt Jaime was more masculine than Jayme and I dont want to doom her to a masculine name or an overly princessy name , ya know?!
Is Jaime more masculine? I never really knew. I know Jamie can be short for James so that's why I suggested Jaime. But I suppose both work for a girl anyway.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Is Jaime more masculine? I never really knew. I know Jamie can be short for James so that's why I suggested Jaime. But I suppose both work for a girl anyway.
Jamie Lee Curtis always reminded me of a guy. Then low and behold, she truly is genetically a male. Her parents named her Jamie because they didn't know which sex she would be. Doctors recommended female because it was a less invasive operation. She's a female solely due to hormones. I don't know what inspired me to share this fun fact. Even though Jamie/Jaime is used for girls, I've always considered it to be a more masculine name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting