Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
this is driving me crazy. i have a 2 year old and her mom wants to get her hair done. but the appt is when i go to work. so now my daughter has to wait in the stroller while mommy gets her hair done. i hate not having a sitter i can rely on. the area i live in doesnt have a lot of families in it and the condo has a lot more older people. daycare is very expensive. how do some of u get by without a babysitter? whenever we go out, its a must that she come with us. and usually i dont mind. but when its cold like this say 6 degrees and under. no one wants to take a baby out in this weather.
We didn't. We lived here for five years with no family nearby. Our middle daughter is autistic and getting a babysitter was not a realistic option. Our oldest was able to hold down the fort for an evening when she was 15 or 16, but mostly we never went anywhere without the children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
For a haircut, I'd make the appointment on a Saturday or in the evening, when my husband was home.

For a doctors appointment or something of that nature, I'd leave my young kids with a friend or relative. I had a group of friends who would cover childcare for each other for various things. I'd watch one persons kids while she had a dental appointment and she'd watch mine when I had to meet with a realtor to put an offer in on a house.

We live far from family, so this type of arrangement with friends was a lifesaver! Keeping a kid in a stroller would be a last resort for an urgent situation. For example, when my daughter was a year old, she needed to have her forehead glued back together after a fall. My son was 3, and he had to sit in his stroller during the appointment, because DH was at work and there was no time to get him to a friend's house. Most of the time, though, a bit of planning can avoid this situation.
I lived far away from family as well. I was in a more formalized set-up of what you describe in the bold. It was a baby-sitting co-op that "paid" in points for babysitting. I was invited to join through a mom's group I got involved with. In these days of internet, it should be easy for a young mom to start one. It was great! While some used it for "dates", I usually paid a sitter if we went out in the evening. It seems like once you find one, then you find ten. I don't know exactly how I found those first ones, I think mostly word of mouth.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:36 AM

83 posts, read 127,471 times
Quote:
this is driving me crazy. i have a 2 year old and her mom wants to get her hair done. but the appt is when i go to work. so now my daughter has to wait in the stroller while mommy gets her hair done. i hate not having a sitter i can rely on. the area i live in doesn't have a lot of families in it and the condo has a lot more older people. daycare is very expensive. how do some of u get by without a babysitter? whenever we go out, its a must that she come with us. and usually i dont mind. but when its cold like this say 6 degrees and under. no one wants to take a baby out in this weather.
My son is 4 yr old and we don't have babysitter. Both my husband and I work fulltime and our son is in daycare. Like others, I always try to schedule appointments during evening or weekends. But for Dr appointments, etc that I can't schedule during that time, then I'll try to schedule them in early morning, lunch time, or late afternoon. Usually for <2 hr appt, my work is pretty flexible and will let me come late/take long lunch/leave early. If it's going to be longer, then I'll have to take time off - usually half day.

I had a hair appointment on a Saturday a few weeks ago that I'd been looking forward to (I scheduled it weeks before). Late Friday night, husband came home and said he had to work on Saturday. I was upset, but I had to cancel the appointment. It is what it is. We don't have anyone to babysit my son. And there's no way I'm going to bring him with me. I ended up rescheduling for a Thursday afternoon appointment and took a half day off.

We usually do a date night when our son's school is doing their Parents' Night Out every 2-3 months.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd jump on for the ride!

I had three kids within three years and we lived far from family and were poor. No sitters for us. We either took them everywhere or we stayed home together. We tried to arrange appointments so one of us could be with the kids, which didn't always work. We didn't have a lot of appointments, luckily. I didn't go places like the hair salon anyway. When we went out (which was a lot), it was to playgroups or community events, or for outings like the park or library. All places kids go. When we visited relatives, we would sometimes get a "date night," but that happened less than twice a year on average. Looking back, it would have been nice to go out at least once a month without kids.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 AM

56 posts, read 34,402 times
You can take care of your baby even at a very minimum temperature when you are out by choosing the best stroller or travel cot. While choosing it parents need to see the comfort for their baby in it and the how easily you can use it to travel from one place to another.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
this is driving me crazy. i have a 2 year old and her mom wants to get her hair done. but the appt is when i go to work. so now my daughter has to wait in the stroller while mommy gets her hair done. i hate not having a sitter i can rely on. the area i live in doesnt have a lot of families in it and the condo has a lot more older people. daycare is very expensive. how do some of u get by without a babysitter? whenever we go out, its a must that she come with us. and usually i dont mind. but when its cold like this say 6 degrees and under. no one wants to take a baby out in this weather.
My kids are 5 and 12. I have never had a sitter and do not have the children's fathers to count on. I do have good relationships with friends this have kids and sometimes I leave my kids with them. Sometimes I have their kids. We just work it out and cover for each other.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
I think its great how many people could have their lives completely stopped when they had children. I would of had a mental breakdown. Also as a black women not doing my hair was not a option. I was lucky enough to have parents with in 10 minutes of me an my son would go with them. Even though I was home I would try to make it to the gym once a week and the hair salon at least every two weeks for a blow out. So that I could manage my hair a bit easier. Having to care for a 24 inch afro with a newborn would of took more time.

Get a baby sitter, find a close friend or family member, ask someone your close to in your church (any organization you are part of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting