Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times

Advertisements

I moved my children starting 2nd and 5th grade 4 years ago. It was a significant cross country move and we knew no one. We thought about it and did the following:
- Had them finish the school year - my spouse stayed behind with them;
- had a huge going away party for all their friends and our family;
- Memorial day weekend had them come up a few days prior and tour their new schools ( we toured 2 schools for each of them so that they could choose which they liked better and would find a home in the respective school district)
- Moved them the weekend after school ended.
-Enrolled them in the summer program run by the school system

They made friends; were accustomed to the schools and had a really smooth transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
We moved mid-year because we had no choice. My daughter was in 2nd grade and had some trouble because the schools had focused on different things...her old school focused on reading, the new one wanted them to be able to do 100 math problems in 2 minutes. She broke her arm at school after she'd been there a month and that just made the school year more difficult for her.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 151,325 times
Wow, these are some great, thoughtful responses!! I can see it is not going to be a clear cut answer. I appreciate everyone's responses and sharing their experiences! And it is so helpful to see all the different perspectives. And that's exactly what I was hoping for - to see a myriad of different views/angles/opinions so I can make the most educated decision for our family.

Keep them coming and thanks!!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

297 posts, read 842,166 times
I think there have been good explanations of pros/cons of both. My only advice is, if you're going to move, just do it. My parents moved when I was a sophomore in high school, in December.

HORRIBLE.

I had to wait until mid-January to start school and went to a weird alternative school in the meantime and I was just never really "in" with people because they'd been friends since elementary and junior high school. To this day, my close friends are the ones in my hometown vs the people I graduated high school with.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
When I was a kid, my family moved in February of my 5th grade year. It was not a positive experience for me at all. I really would try hard to avoid moving schools mid-year if that came up for me. I am hoping to sell my house and move to another in the next town over if I can, but the timing won't matter in my case because my kids would stay at the same school either way, as long as I do it while they are still in elementary school.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,238 times
We moved mid-year, and it was a good thing. The kids got to know classmates, and it made for a less lonely summer.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
A few years ago we moved mid-year. We didn't plan on it. At first we thought we'd move the kids at summer break. But it was only November when I started my new job. The expense of maintaining two homes was going to be a deal breaker. So we decided to move them at winter break. But then the emotional expense of maintaining two homes proved way more horrible than we'd thought. I don't know if it only being 70 miles apart made it easier or harder on us. Those Sunday nights were rough and it didn't help that I'd have to be at work at 4 a.m. so I'd have to leave my wife and kids in enough time to drive more than an hour, wind down and get at least a half good nights sleep before waking up for work.

So what started out as a planned summer move that turned into a move at Christmas break turned into a move over Thanksgiving Weekend. And it was wonderful. Breaking the family up even for a few months was rough. So my only advice would be to move the whole family at one time if you can, no matter when that may be.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
It's interesting that adults who moved their families mid year seem to think it wasn't such a big deal. But the people who were children during mid year moves remember it being horrible.

Honestly I never shared with my parents how horrible our mid year move was for me, they had enough going on.

Just a thought.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It's interesting that adults who moved their families mid year seem to think it wasn't such a big deal. But the people who were children during mid year moves remember it being horrible.

Honestly I never shared with my parents how horrible our mid year move was for me, they had enough going on.

Just a thought.
I think what the OP should take away from this are the suggestions on how to ease the move, regardless of the time of year. If you can enroll your kids in summer activities in the new town, then that would be ideal. In our case, everything started weeks before we arrived. Moving during the school year was greatly eased by the school assigning each of my 3 a "buddy". There didn't seem to be any angst at all involved in not being there for the first day, if anything, people realized they were new and went out of their way to welcome them.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think what the OP should take away from this are the suggestions on how to ease the move, regardless of the time of year. If you can enroll your kids in summer activities in the new town, then that would be ideal. In our case, everything started weeks before we arrived. Moving during the school year was greatly eased by the school assigning each of my 3 a "buddy". There didn't seem to be any angst at all involved in not being there for the first day, if anything, people realized they were new and went out of their way to welcome them.
That was the same experience I had. My new teacher had me sit with the smart girls who he had told to show me around and get me settled and we ended up being really good friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting