Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times

Advertisements

I sing Sweet Baby James (James Taylor song) as a lullaby. It's lovely and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,815,971 times
Puff the Magic Dragon
As - Stevie Wonder
Free to be you and me - Marlo Thomas
Sweet Baby - Stanley Duke
Blessed - Elton John
You and Me Against the World - Helen Reddy.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
when I was little, grandpa use to whistle a tune to me that I found just a bit disturbing but I always associated it with his visits to tuck me in. years later I recognized it to be 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath and I recall looking forward when he would blurt out; "Oh Lord YEAH" at the end.
Funny!

I started singing her twinkle, twinkle when she was 4 months gestation every morning (twice) plus 2 I love you's. Now I'm doing it at night after her night time book.

Also,
Three little birds -Marley
You were meant for me- jewel
I cried for you - Katie Melua
ABC and Two versions of Old McDonald when I'm trying to get her to wait for me to finish doing something.
Mocking bird

My mom and I try to do do-re-mi from the sound of music and we always screw it up.

I also make up songs with her name in them.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I sing Sweet Baby James (James Taylor song) as a lullaby. It's lovely and quiet.
James Taylor is a great idea. I need to bring him into our house.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

339 posts, read 779,080 times
I have no children of my own, but when I have been pressed into service to babysit my nieces/nephews, the only song I sing is "Laugh & Be Happy". You had to grow up in Los Angeles between 1952-1970 to understand the significance of this tune. It was the theme song of children's show host "Sheriff" John Rovick, who hosted the long-running, daily children's show, "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade".

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
My list is endless because we sing all the time, mostly classic rock. Lots of Beatles, Cats Stevens and many other hippie songs/artists. But a few of the noteworthy "fun" ones are "Who Let The Dogs Out," "Werewolves in London," "Wild Thing." (There's another one with lion roars but I can't remember it right now.) Believe it or not, "California Dreaming" is a lot of fun because you can get them to sing the various verses sort of canon. "Country Roads" every single time we cross the West Virginia border. I'll add more later.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,983,316 times
When my children were small I would sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, The Itsy Bitsy Spider Went Up the Water Spout and other little kids songs. When they hit their teens I pulled out my oldie goldies.

Janis Joplin - Oh Lord Won't You Buy Me A Mercedes Benz and of course Me & Bobby McGee
Dr. Hook - On The Cover of the Rolling Stone & Queen of The Silver Dollar

During their late teen years they didn't especially care for Three Dog Night and my rendition of "Mama Told Me Not To Come."

Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,965,422 times
Our lullabies were:

Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof
Edelweiss from Sound of Music
When Irish Eyes are Smiling
Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra

as a medley.

My granddaughter was always asleep by the end of Too-Ra-Loo-Ra
She's 11 and I still do this medley sometimes, just not often because she would rather cuddle with her daddy.
My grandson too when he was little, but not so much anymore. He also loved If you're Happy and You Know it when he was walking around at 15 to 18 months.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,542,804 times
I remember singing Top of the World to my son all the time when he was first born. Then it was Doe a Deer... he could never get enough of these two songs.

After that it any and all John Denver songs that I could sing.
When he would be in his swing, he preferred listening to John Denver sing and would scream if I dared put someone else on the stereo (turntable way back then).

Now he loves music from video games... instrumentals are about all he listens to.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,939,169 times
INCHWORM - I have loved that song since childhood and sing it to my grandsons while putting them to bed or just snuggling. Danny Kaye sung it so beautifully with the school children singing chorus. It is from the move Hans Christian Anderson (1952).

(I tried to link it twice but ran into problems.)

Last edited by geebabe; 01-22-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting