Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 1/2 month old grandson who I take care of every afternoon while his mom is working. He loves when I rock and bounce him while I sing (he's the only one who tolerates my rotten singing voice). The ones I sing are the old "annoying car songs" that my kids used to sing on long trips that would put Dad's teeth on edge..."There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Spider," "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am", "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall", "The Ravioli Song", and "Little Black Things, Little Black Things, Crawling Up and Down My Arms..." My grandson's eyes get really wide, and he coos and smiles and waves his little arms. If he's crying and fussy, it either winds him up and puts him in a good mood, or gets him to sleep.

Do any of you other parents/grandparents like to do this? What songs do your kids like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 AM

87 posts, read 136,613 times
Alouette is a huge hit around here. At that age, "if you're happy and you know it" with lots of crazy-sounding variations. Check out Kidsongs : Children's Songs, Music CDs, DVDs, Shows, Free Kid Song Lyrics - Kidsongs for a ton of ideas too.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I'm not a big fan of annoying kid songs so I don't sing those much, but sometimes Incy Wincy Spider or Ten Little Monkeys or If You're Happy And You Know It.
I usually just sing whatever song is in my head at the moment, usually what I've heard lately off the radio or Scottish folk songs, or make up silly songs, and every night at bedtime I sing What A Wonderful World and The Skye Boat Song.

When she was a baby I sang some of the silly songs my dad used to sing, like Aunty Mary Had A Canary and Donald Where's Your Troosers.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
My favorite infant song is Mockingbird.

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Pappa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

If that mockingbird don't sing
Pappa's gonna buy you a diamond ring

If that diamond ring turns brass
Pappa's gonna buy you a lookin' glass

If that lookin' glass gets broke
Pappa's gonna buy you billy goat

If that billy goat don't pull
Pappa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

If that cart and bull turns over
Pappa's gonna buy you a doggie named Rover

If that dog named Rover don't bark
Pappa's gonna buy you a horse and cart

If that horse and cart fall down
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My favorite infant song is Mockingbird.

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Pappa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

If that mockingbird don't sing
Pappa's gonna buy you a diamond ring

If that diamond ring turns brass
Pappa's gonna buy you a lookin' glass

If that lookin' glass gets broke
Pappa's gonna buy you billy goat

If that billy goat don't pull
Pappa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

If that cart and bull turns over
Pappa's gonna buy you a doggie named Rover

If that dog named Rover don't bark
Pappa's gonna buy you a horse and cart

If that horse and cart fall down
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town
I used to sing that one too (slightly different version though) when I would rock my baby to sleep in the pram.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I sing songs all day long when I am at home. Some of the ones mentioned in the OP - but around holidays, I sing Christmas/Holiday songs (Jingle Bells, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, etc). I sing the Mocking Bird Song, Puff the Magic Dragon, Rainbow Connection, Where Have All the Flowers gone, songs from the Sound of Music. On Top of Old Smokey, She'll be Comin Round the Mountain, O when the Saints Come Marching In, Mr. Sandman. Deep in the Heart of Texas....

I have a HORRIBLE voice, but the kids seem to like it when I sing.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
As an adult, I think it is hilarious singing Puff the Magic Dragon to kids. While denied by Peter, Paul, and Mary, it sounds a lot like some stoners sitting around a campfire talking about their marijuana bong.

Then I realize kids are innocent and to them it's just a cute song.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
when I was little, grandpa use to whistle a tune to me that I found just a bit disturbing but I always associated it with his visits to tuck me in. years later I recognized it to be 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath and I recall looking forward when he would blurt out; "Oh Lord YEAH" at the end.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM

138 posts, read 187,364 times
My youngest grandson, 8 months old, has taken a liking to "Rock a Bye Baby." For some reason, this song and only this song, helps him fall asleep.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Mothers Lament especially for bathtime. Enter Sandman for bedtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting