Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

If she ever gets punched again, she should go to the school nurse immediately, to get a witness to the physical abuse, and to get any bruising photographed. Hopefully, that step won't be necessary and she won't get punched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If she got punched in the face, there should be physical evidence. That evidence needs to be documented...call the police and report the assault, or take her to the doctor. You need proof of her injury. You need to do this every time she is hurt.

The other thing she needs to do is to yell for help if she's being attacked. Call attention to herself, get the teachers out in the hallway to witness what's going on.

Tell her to keep a log of everything these boys do to her, the date, the time, and maybe even write down the names of a few students who were there and saw what was going on.

You also need to figure out a backup plan if you decide the school can't keep your child safe. A different school, online school, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Report it to the police. Tell the school that you're reporting it to the police, they can warn the boys' parents. Maybe a cop coming in to talk to them and the threat of getting a record will get them to keep their hands to themselves. Keep a very close eye on it though, because if these boys are really some bad seeds and it starts escalating, you should take her out of the school right away. A 7th grade boy punching a girl in the face is completely unacceptable, it's assault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If she ever gets punched again, she should go to the school nurse immediately, to get a witness to the physical abuse, and to get any bruising photographed. Hopefully, that step won't be necessary and she won't get punched.
I agree. Document immediately each and every time. Contact the police.

If the school knows that this is a dangerous or unsafe hallway and they do nothing about it, it is a much, much more serious situation.

Frankly, the MS school should have supervision in every single part of the building.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
I don't understand why some people are so concerned with the OP's daughter getting in trouble. Being a doormat is much worse than getting in trouble at school. She should fight back even if she gets in trouble.

If this were my child I would:

1. File a police report each and every time the battery occurs (it's battery if the boy hit her).
2. Provide the school with a copy of the police report.
3. Tell the school that you will be contacting a lawyer.
4. Have your child fight back even if she gets in trouble.
5. Contact a lawyer.

As sad as it is schools respond to legal threats much more vigorously than they do parents trying to settle things without one.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace105 View Post
Out of the 55 hallways in her school, that one has no camera yet. There was no adults because of the cafeteria and gym apparently. Fortunately, that part is a heavily traveled hallway. I am looking at a school map on the school website...I am trying to figure out other ways she can get to her class without taking that hallway.
If it is well traveled hallway it is the school's responsibility to have appropriate supervision.

Until this gets sorted out she should either travel through the hallway before or after the main crush of students. She should be able to easily get permission from the teachers before and after that class if she is concerned about being early or late to her next class.

If attacked again, I recommend screaming as loud and as long as she can. Trust me, the sound travels quickly and will bring any adults to her fast. It would also startle the bullies as they prefer things being secret and quiet to do "their dirty work".

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-05-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
In addition, if she's being bullied in the "real world" it's almost certain that she's also being bullied in the virtual world. Even if she doesn't have a Facebook or Twitter account of her own, there is probably something going on in the ether among the bullies and other classmates that is futhering her problems in the hallways.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,580,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't understand why some people are so concerned with the OP's daughter getting in trouble. Being a doormat is much worse than getting in trouble at school. She should fight back even if she gets in trouble.

If this were my child I would:

1. File a police report each and every time the battery occurs (it's battery if the boy hit her).
2. Provide the school with a copy of the police report.
3. Tell the school that you will be contacting a lawyer.
4. Have your child fight back even if she gets in trouble.
5. Contact a lawyer.

As sad as it is schools respond to legal threats much more vigorously than they do parents trying to settle things without one.
I totally agree with this! Schools today really are pathetic. Back in my day if someone hit someone else they'd get their butt BEAT, and 9/10 times it would stop. I know if I had young kids still in school I'd tell them never to start a fight but make sure to finish it, and while they may get in trouble with the school for it I'd take them out to dinner for a job well done!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times
Quote:
Out of the 55 hallways in her school, that one has no camera yet. There was no adults because of the cafeteria and gym apparently. Fortunately, that part is a heavily traveled hallway. I am looking at a school map on the school website...I am trying to figure out other ways she can get to her class without taking that hallway.
Are you insane? Your daughter is being beaten by males at school. Bigger, stronger males - these are not little boys. Get a lawyer, call the police when it happens, DO something when your daughter is assaulted. It's could be a prelude to sexual assault at that age, too. Have a friend video the incident. Get everything in writing - do not just make some half hearted phone calls. If they call you, respond in writing with a summary of what was said. Go to the school in person and talk to the principal. Document every single thing and take action - school administrators are often only interested in making sure they have plausible deniability. Don't let them.

When I was a teacher I saw so many instances of unchecked bullying, of teacher abuse, of sexual assault, and every time the parent did nothing besides, at best, speak quietly to the principal. I never understood it. You better believe the bullies' parents were in their yelling and screaming if anything happened to their kids.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 7 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,799 times
As for legal system matters, most states in certain cases do set a minimum age of criminal responsibility below 18 (in some cases as young as 10, but more commonly 14 or 16).

Stats - State Laws | Juvenile Justice | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
My daughter is currently 12 turning 13 late Febuary. She is in the 7th grade and this group of boys is in the same grade. It mostly happens when the classes switch. The worst they have ever done was they pushed my daughter against a locker and punched her in the face. ?
File assault charges with the police. NOW.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM

100 posts, read 136,308 times
The school needs to feel that you are able AND willing to escalate things if they do not address the issue. It's very easy for someone to give you lip service, but if they know that you are willing to contact the police OR lawyer up? Then they'll be much more proactive in this situation.

Also, make yourself a presence at the school. Perhaps you could stop by one day and sit in on her classes. Or just schedule a parent/teacher meeting where you go through the school so that the children see you and relate you to your daughter.

If you are a visible presence, it may cut down on potential violations. Its just like when the police park an empty squad car somewhere...people slow down or stop speeding and are much less willing to get involved in altercations in the area cause they SEE a police car, whether the officer is there or not.

But this is your child. Don't leave it at an email. Teach her to defend herself (a useful life lesson) and let her know that as long as she's not wrong (ie start it) then you have her back no matter what. Once she gains confidence, she may be able to handle it herself.

Hope things work out for you, and please continue to update us on the situation

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting