Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
NO young guy in the 9th grade wants his mother shouting at him.
Most young guys dont get what they want. If kids dont want their parents yelling at them then they should do what theyre told and whats expected of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,495,327 times
Kids dont give any credit to what their parents tell them. Why dont you find several young military men, from the service he is interested in, to talk to him about life and expectations.

I would do this with any career that my kids were interested in.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,816,838 times
The study halls are for juniors and seniors. Freshmen and Sophmores have their classes scheduled for the whole day. The teachers will give as much help as the kids need ; that is definitely the case here. The teachers want their students to strive and do well.
Problem is my son who will not ask for help at all. Only if I find out that there is a test coming up and the teacher is giving extra help, will he go. Then he does very well. If it is up to him to study, he fails. He has seen the connection many times but just won't make the effort.

Of course now I am the worst mum in the world as he just has school and home.He has just the basics that we need to provide as I am so tired of this. He did go to parochial school for 7 years and he did a little better ; just a little but we just cannot afford to pay $10K a year per child anymore.

His brother who has the great GPA is younger by 17 months.We do not compare them to each other as we understand that each child is different. However, as parents we will not accept failing grades especially coming form a boy who wants his dreams to come true and can be so good in everything else.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,816,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Kids dont give any credit to what their parents tell them. Why dont you find several young military men, from the service he is interested in, to talk to him about life and expectations.

I would do this with any career that my kids were interested in.

He talks to the recruit people that come into the school. He is in the sea cadets and therefore speaks to other Navy people. He has done camps with coast guards.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,835,988 times
Take away all electronics, social events, and extracurricular activities until his grades come up. That was the ONLY thing that worked for our teen. She didn't care about her grades until we MADE her care. She is a junior now and has a 3.5 GPA. You have to be consistent, and the cell phone should be the first thing to go.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Most young guys dont get what they want. If kids dont want their parents yelling at them then they should do what theyre told and whats expected of them.
Yelling at him won't accomplish anything. It'll only make things worse.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No amount of punishing, rewarding, cajoling, threatening, praising made any difference -- taking video games away and keeping the tv off made no difference.
This was me. I did absolutely terrible in high school. It got worse from year to year actually. And nothing my parents did worked. Nothing. I failed multiple classes, etc. I graduated on time (though I shouldn't have; I only did because a teacher bumped a grade up for me at the last minute).

Anyway, pretty much all the kids in my circle went straight from high school to four-year universities. I got to head to the local community college. I did much better, but still not as good as I could have. I was able to transfer to a decent state university and even get in a selective major there. I eventually got to where I was making the honors lists every semester, was getting specifically solicited to take honors classes, and graduated with a good degree.

In my case it took simply growing up and a light going off inside of ME. Nothing my parents did, said, could've done, or could've said changed/would have changed the situation.

Even when I was attending college and some of this continued for part of the time, threats to throw me out of the house/cut me off didn't work.

And it took, frankly, more than five years for things to really change. I know it's not what you want to hear, OP, but I'm just sharing my experience.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-25-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,991,817 times
Maybe school isn't for him. College sure doesn't seem like a great path for kids nowadays anyway. He will find his own way.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Maybe school isn't for him. College sure doesn't seem like a great path for kids nowadays anyway. He will find his own way.
School isn't for him? Does that include high school? LOL... A high school diploma is the bare minimum needed in today's world. And really, you need a college degree or some type of vocational training too.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM

260 posts, read 428,732 times
This sounds just like the high school life my sister and I had! We both had a rough 9th grade. For me it was the transition to high school, and plus I have learning disabilities so it was hard for me to catch on. For my sister it was lack of effort and bad life habits (not eating/going to the bathroom all day until after school). Your son might just need to find his own way. He's not an adult yet so he still needs supervision, encouragement and such, but it's really a normal thing and if he's a decent kid I'm sure he'll grow out of it and realize how important grades are especially when entering the work force or military life. Hope's not lost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting