Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is ever right to curse or about your children. Just NEVER.

One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing/watching someone say, "Isn't that cute?" when a toddler has "learned" a curse word and someone films it or get them to say it at gatherings or in public (or anywhere, for that matter). There's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I don't even curse at my dogs so why would I curse at a child? I'd be so ashamed of myself for not being able to keep it together and be the adult.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I think verbal abuse is a form of emotional abuse. I don't curse out my kids.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I find the idea of swearing AT your kid fairly appalling, but I don't think swearing falls into the "never, ever do around your kids" category. I have dropped a "dammit" or "ah sh*t!" when my kids are within earshot, and I never realized how awful that was. You learn something new on the internet every day I guess!
I'm always doing that, swear words come out my mouth without me even thinking half the time. Been pretty lucky so far though as the only words my kid has copied is telling the cat to bugger off (which isn't so bad, although my parents would consider it very rude) and once saying sh*t on a stick.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
I've been sworn at by father when I was younger (11-16). I've been called a prick, dog, pimp...He was very easy on the swear words, retorted to them rather quickly...

But now I'm the one swearing at him and he doesn't answer me back (funny). It's true they say if you have power on people they'd shut up, whereas staying quiet will make them 'win' more and belittle you (I'm 21 now). He's a much better dad now though. My sister is strong with the swear words - she feeds him those everyday, but we laugh at times.

Mum's only said 'Goddamn you' to me a couple of times and 'moron'. And we're not a dysfunctional family. We're actually normal. We're just different.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Like someone said, cursing at someone isn't generally considered acceptable anyhow, child or otherwise, and I'd agree with that but people still do it. They may not be bad people, they might just be one of many who have less control over their language on impulse than others do.

Plus as evidenced in this thread, people define "at" differently. Where I come from, telling your kid to get their a$$ in gear would be considered cursing at them because you're cursing in reference to them while talking to them. Others wouldn't agree. There's really no right or wrong there.

I belong to the camp that doesn't use any form of profanity at or around children. Of course they'll grow up and hear it some other place and likely start cursing themselves. Doesn't mean I need to contribute to it. Verbally, I dont curse at adults either and almost never curse when speaking period. I curse often when I write, though, because I just do.

I think what's more important is emotionally abusive language. People focus so much on cursing as if saying a bad word is the most terrible thing in the world while otherwise saying some really inappropriate, hostile, damaging things to and around children. Many seem convinced for some reason that as long as you're not cursing, it's fine and that belief carries over into a lot of other things, even on here.

I disagree with that but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Cursing is a really bad habit in any situation. Substitute cussing is the "Dang it all!" sort of thing and that's really not okay either. Why not pick intelligent words and express how you feel?
That reminded me of a conversation my pastor had when I was a child and no, I'm not religious or trying to make this religious. He was talking about profanity and the fact that you can't hide your intentions from God by mincing words. Saying heck is no better than hell, darn than damn, shoot than sh-t, because what's in your heart is the same. It isn't the word itself that makes it profane.

I agree with that sentiment to an extent, so I either curse outright or don't curse at all in any form. I don't consider saying something in between to be any better just because it's deemed more appropriate externally. When I say fudge it's because I feel like saying fudge, not because I think I'm being above someone who would just say fu-k.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I'm not much of a cusser, so no, I don't cuss at/around my kids (they're 6). But at the same time, I'm not so naive to think that they'll never cuss. They will, I just want to make sure they're able to control it/use those words in appropriate situations. I've known adults who seemed to have no control over it and lacked the ability to put together a sentence without the "F" word in it. That's just trashy, IMO! If your kid can't control cussing, how will they ever get a professional job?

That said, I'm reserving cuss words for when they're teenagers. When they hear me drop an F-Bomb, their eyes will bug out and they'll KNOW how mad I am lol!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
You curse at them = They will curse you in the future

Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM

459 posts, read 620,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgirlapril View Post

I find it difficult to comprehend. I don't have kids and I don't want to speak too soon
This
Let us know when you have kids lol

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM

21 posts, read 21,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
This
Let us know when you have kids lol
Haha Yeah I know how frustrating kids can be. Just given my personal experience with it I'm not interested in repeating that kind of behavior with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting