Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times

Advertisements

Google "healthy sexual behaviors in children".

You will see what's normal "curiosity" and what's concerning.

Continuing to do something, once a child has been told not to - does not fall within the "normal curiosity" boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I'm just curious about why he is allowed by the school to be in the same bathroom at the same time with a girl?

Doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
I personally think that you should have the child himself speak to a counselor, or doctor....would it be phsychiatrist? Always confused, since I never dealt with them

Anyway, it may be innocent curiousity (though if he was told not to and still does......), BUT...people who have been molested (not saying your son was), do sometimes start showing the signs and one of them is continous "curiosity" in anything sexual. It doesn't hurt to just make sure.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 PM

22 posts, read 111,957 times
Its normal child curiousity...
I have 4 daughters, believe me its totally normal. He may want to see the difference between him the girl. i dont think a counselor is needed here, it will just make the matter worse than it is. Now if there's a more explicit thing like, there was this case in my daughters maternalle that one girl sucked he other boys penis... know THAT is alarming, but there's no need to worry bout this, he's just curious.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default There are two problems here

Even tho I suspect your child is simply being curious - and may have fixated on this one little girl as the object of his curiosity - the problem at this point is two-fold.

There are two separate issues here. One is your son's behavior and how to address and handle that. . . and the other is the school's eventual way of handling this if it occurs again. Further, the parents of the little girl have legal rights here, too, and if they believe this situation has traumatized or upset their child . . . this all becomes a much more complicated issue - for both you as the child's mother and for the school.

My advice is for you to find a counselor to evaluate your son to find out what his motivation is - curiosity or acting out behavior. If there is even the slightest chance that your son has been touched inappropriately himself, you really do need to address it. In addition, by doing this, you have proven to the school and the other child's parents that you took matters into your own hands and acted in a responsible way.

Yes, there have been lawsuits over such matters. Protect yourself and your son - and make sure nothing has occurred that has affected your son's behavior - and get an evaluation done as soon as possible.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Very sound advice.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
I think its totally nomal for kids to wonder about sex. I think adults try to believe that this doesnt happen but it does. I know when I was younger me and my friends discussed sex all the time. I probably saw alot of my friends private parts too while i was in elementary school. One of my earliest memories was once when I was 5 or 6 and decided to draw pubic hair all over myself with a black marker. My mom saw it and was very upset.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom12345 View Post
Hi,
I really need help. My son was caught in the bathroom at his pre-school asking another female student if he could touch her butt. When the teacher heard them she entered the room and removed them and they were both taken to the office and parents were called. Now, again this week - apparently it happened again - he was caught asking her again if he could touch her butt. Several times this week, when she raised her hand to use the bathroom - he immediately did the same.

I had a meeting with the principal this week andthey said to continue talking with him that private parts are to be kept private and not to be shown or touched by others - but my just turned five and I just don't think my talks are working on him.

I have noticed that while watching spongebob he would pause the cartoon when spongebob's butt would be one the screen. I have removed all spongebob movies from him and explained that he is no longer able to watch that cartoon because he is not a good role model for little boys.

I just don't know what the obsession is with the butt. What do I do?
My son does not see any inappropriate things in my home and I always accompany him into the restroom when we are out so I don't think anything has ever happened as far as abuse to him. But, the school is getting very frustrated as am I. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
I have a five year old son. We don't let him watch tv alone EVER. I would suggest you do the same, if you don't have time to watch tv with him then don't let him watch tv. When something inappropriate is shown on tv you should take the time out to explain that its not good and why etc. After explainations change the channel ASAP. If we are watching TV and people start making out or whatever my wife makes my son cover his eyes until she can change the channel. Just be patient and keep re enforcing why it is wrong and you should be okay. I understand the schools apprehension though given law suits and all these days.

I wish you the best

Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm just curious about why he is allowed by the school to be in the same bathroom at the same time with a girl?

Doesn't make alot of sense to me.
I was curious about that myself.....seems like there's not a lot of control at that school......

Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Anyone here played the game, "doctor" more than once? I wouldn't worry about your son. I'd worry about the unisex bathroom in the preschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting