Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against the show or anyone who likes it regardless of gender or age....so long as we're talking about the show and its associated merch, as opposed to some of the weirder adult permutations of "art" and fanfic out there in internet-land.

I don't think that toys or shows should be segregated for gender. Especially as an intelligent female whose favorite toys as a kid involved fire, magnets, or electricity. I built a toy solar car out of repurposed parts at age 8. My husband asked if I'd ever seen these sets from Radio Shack with circuit boards and whatnot, and I had to say no...people didn't buy GIRLS things like that. (In order to get parts for my building I usually had to destroy the toys I was given, which to the consternation of my relatives I was perfectly willing to do.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 04:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Uh... he's 11. He'll grow out of it.
Chill the hell out..

Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
He may not grow out of it. As you can see from this thread their are grown men who likes MLP. They dress like it and collects them.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:27 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
I would tease him about it and tell him the truth ---> don't be surprised if the other boys bully you about it.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I would be honest and advise them that while there's nothing wrong with liking ponies, he might be given a hard time by ******* classmates.

I'd suggest that he connect to fellow fans online instead, and he's welcome to enjoy it as much as he likes at home.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It is a good time to learn that the rest of the world doesn't get to dictate your interests, hobbies, priorities, etc.

The little kid giving up his bronies today will be the chickensh** neck deep in debt trying to keep up with the Joneses 20 years from now.

Don't you see the parallel?!

Teach him to live life on his terms.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
No, just no. Completely wrong, and no.

I never played house with dolls, and here I am a pretty damn good dad. My father and his father and his father and his father and so on and so on, none of them played with dolls. Because dolls are for girls, or homosexual feminine boys. Barbies are for girls and are not toys boys should be playing with. Call it sexist or whatever you want, but it's fact. Go check the marketing on Barbies and other blatant girl toys and show me where they're marketed to boys.

People like you are going to make this world a very, very scary place if not kept in check. Luckily you seem to be the minority, hopefully it stays that way.
People with this way of thinking are going extinct. Thank god.

Anyone who would hurt or shame a little kid just bc he likes a toy. What is wrong with you?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Anyone who would hurt or shame a little kid just bc he likes a toy. What is wrong with you?
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
That means: if we don't teach our children what is expected of them at a young age, they will suffer for it as they grow to adulthood. It doesn't mean we have to beat our children unmercifully.
If we love our children we will teach them that they have certain roles and responsibilities to fulfill. Playing with cartoon doll ponys is not a role we expect adult males to embrace if they are to succeed in life and provide for families of their own one day.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Agreed. Most people are evolving...but some people are apparently stuck in the 1950s.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
That means: if we don't teach our children what is expected of them at a young age, they will suffer for it as they grow to adulthood. It doesn't mean we have to beat our children unmercifully.
If we love our children we will teach them that they have certain roles and responsibilities to fulfill. Playing with cartoon doll ponys is not a role we expect adult males to embrace if they are to succeed in life and provide for families of their own one day.
Moderator cut: edit What do responsibilities have to do with little kid toys?!

And living your life up to other people's expectations is a recipe for misery.
What YOU propose to enforce is conformity.
Nothing great ever came from conforming.

I say this as one of the most exactingly law-abiding and sickeningly responsible people you will ever meet.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-07-2015 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting