Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
under no circumstances should you be naked in your front yard, either with or without your kids

unless of course it's at night

...and your kids aren't with you

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
How old is the kid?

My daughter and I would very occasionally take a shower together and sing "Drowned River Rat" a silly song we made up. I seem to remember she was 3 or 4 but she still remembers the Drowned River Rat song.

It wasn't long after and she felt uncomfortable so of course it ended.

And no, she doesn't carry emotional scars.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I was always firmly in the camp of no nudity around opposite-sex children after the age of about 4-5 or so. However now that my son is almost 5, I'm finding it easier said than done to completely avoid him ever seeing me naked. He still has absolutely zero concept of modesty - no problem running around butt-naked, lol! And as such he doesn't seem to notice or pay attention to me or DH being undressed, he'll often barge in while I'm changing and start chatting away though generally I always have my underwear on anyway. The more awkward part to avoid is public bathrooms when out - I don't think he's old enough to wait outside by himself, so if I need to go when we're out, we still always go into one of the family restrooms, or the women's, and i end up having to go with him there. He's used to it so it doesn't faze him, but I'm not sure at what point it becomes really inappropriate - and at what age is it okay to leave him outside the restroom in a busy public place. How did you handle this?
If he's not bothered by it then I wouldn't worry about it but how about having him wait by the sinks in the public toilets (if you can trust him not to mess about) if you're uncomfortable with it. I sometimes have my 3 year old wait by the sinks if the toilet cubicle is really small. But I don't see why it would be any more inappropriate with an opposite-sex child than with a same-sex child.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 AM

17,565 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If he's not bothered by it then I wouldn't worry about it but how about having him wait by the sinks in the public toilets (if you can trust him not to mess about) if you're uncomfortable with it. I sometimes have my 3 year old wait by the sinks if the toilet cubicle is really small. But I don't see why it would be any more inappropriate with an opposite-sex child than with a same-sex child.
Fairly large difference there between bringing a boy into the womens restroom and a girl into the mens bathroom.

Women's restroom is all stalls, and unless the kid is peeking through the cracks.. Isn't likely to see anything.

Men's room.. Pending on how it's setup.. While it's still not likely, there's more of a chance of seeing something.

Of course, I think parents, especially fathers, have less concern sending a young girl into the women's bathroom alone vs mothers sending a boy into the men's room alone.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Fairly large difference there between bringing a boy into the womens restroom and a girl into the mens bathroom.

Women's restroom is all stalls, and unless the kid is peeking through the cracks.. Isn't likely to see anything.

Men's room.. Pending on how it's setup.. While it's still not likely, there's more of a chance of seeing something.

Of course, I think parents, especially fathers, have less concern sending a young girl into the women's bathroom alone vs mothers sending a boy into the men's room alone.
What's the big deal if the girl see's a man at the urinal though? He's just weeing and if she's going in with her dad then she's most likely seen a man wee before so it won't be anything new to her. I remember my dad taking me into the men's changing room when he took me to swimming lessons, I must have been about 7 or 8, didn't scar me.

I agree, parents do seem a bit easier about sending a girl in by herself as opposed to a boy.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I appreciate your culture's openness about nudity. I mean no respect when I say from my American perspective, it sounds bizarre.

After a certain age we remained comfortable with each other's bodies but preferred not to see them. If my sons had health issues with their bodies, they knew Mom was going to "inspect". No biggee. Now put it away.

From "your" American Perspective it sounds bizarre from my American Perspective it sounds like an individual preference.
This as in anything else if you don't make a big deal out of it, everyone is comfortable and there is no breaking laws, inappropriate oogling or touching I don't see an issue with it if it is what you choose to do.
We don't have children in the home so this is not a current issue for us but at one time we had to make a choice.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
under no circumstances should you be naked in your front yard, either with or without your kids

unless of course it's at night

...and your kids aren't with you
ate.
You better be WAY out in the country. Get caught exposing yourself in the front yard and you are on the Sexual Offender's List for life in my state.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Unless your living in a nudist colony, why scar the child for rest of their life. One image that will always haunt and never forgotten is seeing your parents naked.
I agree with you. I also think there's a double standard. If this was a father who felt comfortable being naked in front of his young daughters, the majority of people would want him thrown in jail.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Wow....Being naked in front of your kids does not automatatically mean "parading around" the house nude. We were a pretty laid back family. Our linen closet is in the hallway. Occasionally, one of us would be ready to climb into the shower and realize we'd forgotten to grab a towel. Out to the hall we went, without too much thought as to who might see us do the naked towel dash. Kids of either gender. At some age we took some more care to cover up but I think it was closer to when they were 10 than 2 - ie the age THEY tended to become naturally more modest. We let them take that lead. It was no big deal. I have a difficult time understanding those who are concerned about covering up at every instance in front of a very young child.

ETA - and why is it a big deal that young children notice (or remark) that males and females look different? They DO look different. Is this supposed to be some kind of secret?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow....Being naked in front of your kids does not automatatically mean "parading around" the house nude. We were a pretty laid back family. Our linen closet is in the hallway. Occasionally, one of us would be ready to climb into the shower and realize we'd forgotten to grab a towel. Out to the hall we went, without too much thought as to who might see us do the naked towel dash. Kids of either gender. At some age we took some more care to cover up but I think it was closer to when they were 10 than 2 - ie the age THEY tended to become naturally more modest. We let them take that lead. It was no big deal. I have a difficult time understanding those who are concerned about covering up at every instance in front of a very young child.

ETA - and why is it a big deal that young children notice (or remark) that males and females look different? They DO look different. Is this supposed to be some kind of secret?
Well I would hope once the child reaches each a certain age that they would start to become more modest or else things can get pretty awkward once that child reaches puberty. Either way it would probably be the best solution to not do it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting