Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

The first article was poorly sourced and very superficial. If people are complaining about the rebuttal then they should also be complaining about the quality of the first article because it was weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
My kids have had every vaccination (as have my cousins), including FLU

I consider anyone who doesn't . . to be an idiot.

A local 13 year old just died of the Flu, really hits home. . .how important it is. People take this life we have for granted.

Whooping Cough is the worse. . people's lack of vaccination putting the littlest ones at risk. So sad. I'd ban the anti-vac's from society, force them all to live on a disease ridden island if I had a choice. Let darwin sort em out, instead of them leaning on the smart ones for their survival.
The year the H1N1 was so bad, the little girl across the street from my house was in the hospital with it and had to be on a heart/lung machine that was very hard on her. She is still recovering - she had paralysis and had to have a ton of physical therapy. She was healthy before that. So she is still working on getting full motion back after 5 years.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Whether for or against vaccinations, my issue lately is that the vaccines do not seem to be as safe or effective as they once were. At my daughter's school, there have been a few cases of pertussis over the past few years. In discussion with the school nurse, each and every child with the disease has been fully vaccinated according to recommended schedule.

Here is another point of view:
Dear parents, you’re STILL being lied to (rebuttal to Jennifer Raff’s unsupported pro-vaccination claims) | Rina Marie
Wow. Not only is that extremely unprofessional, but it is in complete violation of privacy and confidentiality laws. Shame on that school nurse.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The first article was poorly sourced and very superficial. If people are complaining about the rebuttal then they should also be complaining about the quality of the first article because it was weak.
Wait, what? You opened each and every link and refute the data contained in each one? Incredulous....no really......

Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Perhaps you missed all the links embedded in the article. There are links to sources for each statement and those include links to more.

It might be helpful if you had information to refute anything the author said.

Just opining that the article was "weak" is, well, weak.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Wow. Not only is that extremely unprofessional, but it is in complete violation of privacy and confidentiality laws. Shame on that school nurse.
I don't understand this comment. Whooping cough was recently an issue at my daughter's middle school. I think there were 3 or 4 cases of it. A letter came home from the school letting parents know about it and also included the fact that in all of the cases the students had been immunized. The letter didn't name the students who had contracted it.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
My kids have had every vaccination (as have my cousins), including FLU

I consider anyone who doesn't . . to be an idiot.

A local 13 year old just died of the Flu, really hits home. . .how important it is. People take this life we have for granted.

Whooping Cough is the worse. . people's lack of vaccination putting the littlest ones at risk. So sad. I'd ban the anti-vac's from society, force them all to live on a disease ridden island if I had a choice. Let darwin sort em out, instead of them leaning on the smart ones for their survival.

You are a model citizen, comrade. The Party seeks citizens such as yourself to further it's purpose. You needn't fear Room 101.

As for real life...I was vaxed for influenza before Thanksgiving and now have it. I have never had the shot before and haven't had flu in years. So much for that vax.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You are a model citizen, comrade. The Party seeks citizens such as yourself to further it's purpose. You needn't fear Room 101.

As for real life...I was vaxed for influenza before Thanksgiving and now have it. I have never had the shot before and haven't had flu in years. So much for that vax.
In defense of the flu vax... the powers-that-be have to make an educated guess as to what strain of the flu will go around each year in time to produce the vaccine. Sometimes, their educated guesses aren't spot-on.

In regards to vaccines for KNOWN diseases, upping your odds of NOT getting polio or measles or whooping cough or...seems to be a logical idea to me. Those vaccines have been proven to work with the vast majority of children that receive them.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
In defense of the flu vax... the powers-that-be have to make an educated guess as to what strain of the flu will go around each year in time to produce the vaccine. Sometimes, their educated guesses aren't spot-on.

In regards to vaccines for KNOWN diseases, upping your odds of NOT getting polio or measles or whooping cough or...seems to be a logical idea to me. Those vaccines have been proven to work with the vast majority of children that receive them.
I know generally how the flu vaccine for an upcoming season is determined. However, I got curious and looked up this article from the CDC. Its really quite interesting. It involves collaboration of a lot of different people in a lot of different places.

Approximately 111 countries are involved in disease surveillance for the flu. Surveillance is a process where new cases of disease are discovered and reported to public health authorities. This information is forwarded to the World Health Organization.

One other factor that is important is that the Earth has a Northern Hemisphere and a Southern Hemisphere and both experience the seasons in reverse. This means that "flu season" is exactly the opposite in countries in the other hemisphere. This gives us lots of good data on which viruses are likely to circulate and cause the most cases of flu when our flu season comes.

In any event, recommendations get made by WHO on an international level and by the CDC here in our own country.

I guess the point I would make is that while some guesswork is definitely involved in trying to determine which strains of flu will be the most threatening that the process is quite involved and relies upon the collaboration and cooperation of public health authorities all around the world.

Anyway, here's the link:

Selecting the Viruses in the Seasonal Influenza (Flu) Vaccine | Health Professionals | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

Last edited by markg91359; 01-13-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

I guess your personal example proves everything doesn't it?

Look, I couldn't care less what you personally do. I just get upset at people who insist on spreading ignorance and misinformation to thousands of people through the internet.

The flu isn't a joking matter. It kills up to 49,000 people in America per year.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease...ted_deaths.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting