Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times

Advertisements

It is abusive to beat a kid with a belt, and the sign of a lazy parent.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Yes of course it is and should be illegal.
Using the word "whuppins" should be some kind of crime too.
Ok maybe using the term "whuppins" should be a crime but how about "goin out to the woodshed"

Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Typically one swat with a belt is nowhere near abuse unless it's in the face.

Here's why:

Growing up we were taught the difference in right and wrong. If you do something wrong, you may get the belt. Instead of being whipped repeatedly with a belt (I think I had two in my lifetime), we made sure to understand the consequences of our actions before we did something wrong and usually decided against it. You could ground us all you want and we really didn't pay much attention to it. We didn't have much to take away and played outside most of the time so taking away a toy or something of that nature really didn't bother us either.

Every kid responds differently to punishments and every wrong-doing should have a punishment that is based on the level of the wrong committed. We got the belt if we blatantly disrespected an adult, or if we hit someone. Don't do a chore? Then you don't get to go play with the other kids. Repeatedly avoid these chores after receiving warnings and the belt came out. It was circumstantial.

The belt taught us that everything has a consequence. While it was rare that any of us ever needed it, if we ever got it you could guarantee we would not repeat the same mistake twice.

My kids are raised the same way. I've got the belt to them maybe once and it was one swat on the butt. It didn't take more to get the point across. They are respectful and responsible, so in turn we return that respect and reward them for doing good.

I often wonder why so many kids nowadays act the way they do. Threads like this remind me.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Legally, I think it's considered abuse and therefore I won't do it.

But I personally don't think it's abuse - depending on the situation. I don't think it's okay to beat a kid with a belt. One good smack on a clothed behind? I think that's fine. I agree with Nlambert. I got the belt when I was a kid if I blatantly disregarded the rules and looking back on it, I definitely deserved what I got. Punishment like that was reserved for getting the message across when nothing else was working.

I also agree with another poster, your punishment shouldn't give your child bruises. If it does, then you've gone too far. I think it's also important to explain to the child why they're being punished and what the correct form of action would have been.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
NO HITTING...with anything. EVER!!

Sincerely,

One who was hit (and never hit my own)

Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Is this thread real life?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Is this thread real life?
Unfortunately yes....some people still find it acceptable to hit children both with their hands and with things like belts. Quite disgusting.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I used to do dumb things when I was a kid but most of my spankings came from belts. I was caught shoplifting when I was 15 and got my ass handed to me. Belts were normal, especially if you acted like a brat. I dunno how I turned out, but I didn't turn out anything like those 16 yr old hooligans that do drugs, steal and disrespect adults.

I just realized that spanking with a belt is possibly abuse. Is it?
What is a "whuppin"? I've never heard of those or that word.

If you are referring to discipline using a belt it is not abuse if done appropriately.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What is a "whuppin"? I've never heard of those or that word.

If you are referring to discipline using a belt it is not abuse if done appropriately.
It's a common informal phrase. And please explain how you can beat someone with belt in any other context but it being a small child and have it not be abuse. Then explain why beating a child makes it different.

I am all for discipline. ..even being strict....but beating child is not disipline.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
From a legals stand point in 2015 I say don't do it. That being said I have seen some kids out in public acting up that well let me say a woodshed visit could be a consideration. Yet don't do it. One complaint and it can cost you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting