Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:44 PM

460 posts, read 1,005,852 times

Advertisements

I think simple kids might be able to learn from a "whuppin". Complex, intelligent, and/or sensitive children could be damaged by being physically beaten by a large, imposing adult behaving in a violent and threatening manner. Chances are if you are not able to outsmart a child mentally and verbally, your child is not that bright either, and so a "whuppin" might work ok on them.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It is interesting to note that the socioeconomic and cultural groups that spank the most lag behind in nearly every measurable outcome, such as high school graduation rates, ACT scores, teen pregnancy, and violent crime.

I am not saying it is spanking that causes the unfavorable outcomes, but it does run contrary to the claim that spanked children turn out better and are better behaved.
You mean the wealthy and privileged highly educated upper-middle class white Jewish people? That socioeconomic and cultural group? That's the socio-economic and cultural group I grew up with. Most of us were spanked on occasion - a couple of us had parents who'd get out the belt, and all of us had grandparents who spanked their kids. In fact, my own mom got spanked every single morning before school on her way out the door, "just in case" she misbehaved during the school day. It was just a swat on the butt, but it was delivered sternly as a warning.

I graduated in the top 1% in the Achievement scores in the state. My IQ score was sadly lacking, but only because I don't do well on timed "puzzle" tests. The Achievement was an English essay and I received a perfect score. I was graduated from college with honors, and have taken post-graduate studies just for kicks and giggles. I've never committed a violent crime. Mom got her Masters in Education and completed some other educational training in addition to her required yearly certs. My grandfather was a successful dentist. My grandmother was a playwright. They were happy and outgoing and very much in love, and were the hit on the dance floor. When my grandfather died in his 80's my grandmother vowed to never dance again. The pain of losing her husband of over 50 years, was by far more traumatic than any spanking she received as a child.

We ALL experienced spanking first-hand in our youth. And we all came out just fine.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,727 times
Cannabis is a good drug, with hundreds of medical uses & no deaths. Many adults refuse to study it, or they only go to govt sites with paid liars doing fake studies. It is hard to respect someone who knows less & refuses to learn. Why should anyone be penalized for healthy fun? UNICEF study averaged drug use of 11, 13, & 15 year olds. 24% in US said they use cannabis. But few under 16-17 get drunk, few under 18 smoke cigarettes daily. Kids know more about some things than most adults.

I believe using violence insures kids will do same to their kids & don't think it is good. Just adults that can't control themselves even as much as their children control themselves. Some parents shook babies so bad they killed them (obviously not a solution).

Many emotional problems called mental illness go untreated, or treated with something that doesn't work. I don't think kids should be blamed for that. Nearly 100% of Docs in 1800s knew cannabis as the best treatment for all mental health/mood issues. It only became allegedly bad after patent medicine with several hundred percent markups.

Whipping I would think could cause runaways, leading kids into areas less safe, with no parental penalty for anything. Why not do heroin if no penalty, as a first taste of freedom? Prostitution to pay for the drugs? Parents being the encouragement to do these things is obviously not good.

One wrong thing adults repeat about kids is they don't think about penalties. Actually they do, but they are less terrified of penalties than adults. Like 2 boys I saw in a park, maybe 8-10 years old, trying cigarettes. One says to the other our parents will kill us when they find out, but that wasn't enough to stop them. Too many adults would rather die than disobey corrupt laws. Too worn out to protest. So they slowly kill themselves with alcohol, tobacco, & pills.

A great many parents can't distinguish between I can't & I won't-sometimes kids tell the truth. Not all have the same abilities. For significant numbers, some adults have only kid abilities in some areas. This could be a birth defect, but may not be diagnosed until adulthood. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I used to do dumb things when I was a kid but most of my spankings came from belts. I was caught shoplifting when I was 15 and got my ass handed to me. Belts were normal, especially if you acted like a brat. I dunno how I turned out, but I didn't turn out anything like those 16 yr old hooligans that do drugs, steal and disrespect adults.

I just realized that spanking with a belt is possibly abuse. Is it?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,712,807 times
Did you? You seem to be lacking in empathy towards those that are weaker than you and under your control? I don't think that is turning g out just fine.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,947,243 times
I would have considered myself lucky to have been punished by a belt. My dad favored a bamboo switch.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM

265 posts, read 687,218 times
Pinches leave no marks, works very well.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I used to do dumb things when I was a kid but most of my spankings came from belts. I was caught shoplifting when I was 15 and got my ass handed to me. Belts were normal, especially if you acted like a brat. I dunno how I turned out, but I didn't turn out anything like those 16 yr old hooligans that do drugs, steal and disrespect adults.

I just realized that spanking with a belt is possibly abuse. Is it?
Eh. We got the belt a lot when we were kids. That was how our dad dished it out when we pissed him off. No big deal. I didn't consider it abuse then, and I don't now. But it's not my thing. I spanked my son, with my hand, and only a swat or two, occasionally. He was a good kid, so I really didn't have to get too carried away with spanking, thank goodness.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I think simple kids might be able to learn from a "whuppin". Complex, intelligent, and/or sensitive children could be damaged by being physically beaten by a large, imposing adult behaving in a violent and threatening manner. Chances are if you are not able to outsmart a child mentally and verbally, your child is not that bright either, and so a "whuppin" might work ok on them.
What an absurd notion.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,573,905 times
As a kid, I got spanked with a belt. My father had a temper. I was left with welts. But what was worse was the psychological effect it had on me. I was a good kid, got great grades, but made smart a@@ comments occasionally. That's why I got the belt, and it never made sense to me. It wasn't like I was stealing cars or lighting things on fire. All the belt did was make me angry, and make me fear my father.
Yes, it is abuse.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:39 PM

698 posts, read 798,885 times
Spanking tied to later aggression among kids

Spanking kids linked to later aggression: study - NY Daily News

So if you want your child to become a hoodilum, then spank them.

Act a hoodilum so your child will too!

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 01-20-2015 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting