Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 AM

41 posts, read 30,977 times

Advertisements

It is fact that there is a big difference of how marriage and families are from the 1950s and today. Look at Ward and June Cleavers family. There children and family were well behaved and not spoiled like crazy like kids today.

The Cleavers never spoiled their kids with everything they wanted and nagged the parents for back in the day whereas parents today choose to spoil their kids with iPhones and iPads because they throw fits if they don't have them.

Plus the Cleavers believed in family and were devoted to each other. There was no cheating among the couple.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
It was a TV show. It was how the writer's wrote it, not real life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
It is fact that there is a big difference of how marriage and families are from the 1950s and today. Look at Ward and June Cleavers family. There children and family were well behaved and not spoiled like crazy like kids today.

The Cleavers never spoiled their kids with everything they wanted and nagged the parents for back in the day whereas parents today choose to spoil their kids with iPhones and iPads because they throw fits if they don't have them.

Plus the Cleavers believed in family and were devoted to each other. There was no cheating among the couple.
Great story, but the Cleavers were made up. They did not exist in real life, and therefore did not have an actual, functioning relationship and family life.

You know who did exist in the 1950s? People like Ernest Hemingway and Pablo Picasso and Anais Nin. Did you read Angela's Ashes? That took place earlier than the 50s. It's not like dysfunctional families and relationships are new.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-07-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
^^^ So, you are saying that in the 50's kids were NOT better behaved and less spoiled?
That they were not different than kids today?
I dare to disagree...
The children raised in the 50's and 60's were raised to respect their elders and learned courtesy and manners. They were more able to handle the transition to the real world and didn't have the sense of entitlement the current batch of young adults have come to expect.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Great story, but the Cleavers were made up. They did not exist in real life, and therefore did not have an actual, functioning relationship and family life.

You know who did exist in the 1950s? People like Ernest Hemingway and Pablo Picasso and Anais Nin. It's not like dysfunctional relationships are new.
Well kids who grew up in the 1950s where well behaved because parents back then didn't tolerate bratty behavior if their kids acted up. Those were the days where parents showed authority. Not like today how kids throw fits and act spoiled. Each generation acts worse due to how the relationships are with the man and woman. If their parents raised them wrong it funnels down to the next offspring. And it doesn't have to be modeled off of the Cleavers.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ So, you are saying that in the 50's kids were NOT better behaved and less spoiled?
I dare to disagree...
No kids WERE well behaved and NOT spoiled in the 50s. Kids today are the complete opposite

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
I will agree. I came of age in the 60's and 70's, and no one was spending $1000 on their kids at Christmas then, my mom would never have went out and bought us a $400 game system or $150 sneakers. And we didn't care, we were happy with the stuff we got. My nephews get everything they want and seem unhappy, nothing is ever good enough to make them happy long. I don't think it's coincidence.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I dare to disagree...
The children raised in the 50's and 60's were raised to respect their elders and learned courtesy and manners. They were more able to handle the transition to the real world and didn't have the sense of entitlement the current batch of young adults have come to expect.
ThAt is true how kids back in the old days were able to make better decisions for the world. I mean look at younger generations taking over today. More violence in the world today and crappy economy. We don't know what is for the future based on how younger generations are spoiled.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I will agree. I came of age in the 60's and 70's, and no one was spending $1000 on their kids at Christmas then, my mom would never have went out and bought us a $400 game system or $150 sneakers. And we didn't care, we were happy with the stuff we got. My nephews get everything they want and seem unhappy, nothing is ever good enough to make them happy long. I don't think it's coincidence.
Exactly. And guess what the more greediness will make the economy so bad in the future that this country will go MORE in debt and guess what people will not be able to spend money on unnecessary garbage.maybe people's attitude will become better when mommy and daddy will not be able to afford anything anymore

Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
ThAt is true how kids back in the old days were able to make better decisions for the world. I mean look at younger generations taking over today. More violence in the world today and crappy economy. We don't know what is for the future based on how younger generations are spoiled.
Ummmmm, no.

1920s stock market crash
Vietnam
Gas shortage in the 70s
The self indulgent 80s

History just repeats itself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting