Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
Why aren't you open talking to strangers? People did it before Facebook and other social media crap, I see what Facebook does it does close people off from being social
Oh please I am the most social person ever.
I don't like random people though.
Most people who talk to me out in public are either trying to sell something, listen about some program they work for and want my participation with or have a few screws loose and don't realize I'm standing there arms full of stuff trying to leave the store and they're talking about their cats inflamed butthole and how they have to apply the medicine. I love to meet people my friends I know, at least I know since my friend likes them they probably don't suck and won't look at me with one wobbly eye telling me about kitten butthole ointment.

I also talk to my current friends from about the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. We text, snapchat, etc frequently throughout the day.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I love when people tell me that social media is anti social.
I don't live close to a single friend of mine currently.
All the people I'm friends with on Facebook have been in my life for close to a decade or more.
I use social media to keep in contact. They love to see the pictures I post.

People aren't more anti-social, they're just social in a different way.
In fact, I'm even going to venture to say that social media can and does bring people even closer together, it enables you to have constant contact with those you care for most. I know just about everything going on in my friends lives even though I don't speak to them daily, without social media I'd lose contact with them.

I think we interact less with strangers, which is fine with me. If I'm out in public it's to get something done, I don't have time to sit down with a stranger outside a grocery store and hear a life story. I'm not going to be the nurse from forest gump while my ice cream melts and I run out of time to get things done.
That's actually sad. I thought she was one of the most interesting people in the movie. Can you waste a lot of time listening to others tell their story? Of course. But sometimes, if you give them a chance, you can obliquely learn to understand something about yourself or your family that would perhaps have never been revealed.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Yes but read what I said about the smartphone video post or picture alteration. It could happen that one day someone can record you arguing with your husband and post it on Facebook or YouTube. Big brother is watching. What will you do then?
And? Who cares really?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yes but read what I said about the smartphone video post or picture alteration. It could happen that one day someone can record you arguing with your husband and post it on Facebook or YouTube. Big brother is watching. What will you do then?
The people close in my life would know the fight happened anyways because of be on the phone two seconds after it was over with my best friend asking her to calm me down before I broke my foot off in his butt for "insert whatever jerk thing he said".

I don't care what anyone else thinks, they don't matter.
Know what I have to say to people who butt into my life and have no place doing so??? #BYEFELICIA

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
And? Who cares really?
Exactly.
It's like good for you, you figured out the video feature on your phone...shouldn't taken and more interesting video. If anything I've finally get the validation I need during my arguments!!!

Seeeee rebelskater007 says I'm right!!!!!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Well Xbox and play station is a complete waste . What do kids get out of that ?? Primarily nothing!!!! I got a computer when I needed it for college,but do you know how?? I worked a summer job and saved for it. That is right, saved my own money and bought it. Christmas is not about spoiling kids with 1000.00 gifts. It is about being with loved ones and family
My son saved his own money for an Xbox. Your point is moot.

Quote:
Well I had family fun nights with my parents. We played board games. We went on day trips to fun places and didn't play video games and I survived
We play board games as a family, and my kids play video games. We travel as a family, and my kids are quite capable of socializing and surviving without video games for the duration. Your point is moot.

Quote:
Yeah and technology has impacted everyone that no one interacts socially In person anymore. Thanks to idiotic things like Facebook or text messaging. People lack social skills now with stuff like that
I interact more with my extended family (who are located all over the world) via Facebook than I ever did before. My social skills are quite good. Your point is moot.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
And DewDrop is not shaking her fist in the air either .
Nope. I see a LOT of well-behaved kids. Kids who say please and thank you and hold doors for people. Kids who are polite to the waitress and mind their parents and chew with their mouths closed.

I don't know where all these spoiled-rotten, hooligan kids who are throwing tantrums and running through the mall knocking over old people are. I'd notice those. The last time I heard a kid using his outside voice inside was a few weeks ago. That was in a used bookstore and a boy who was about seven shouted, "Chapter books!" when he saw them in the kids'section. Seemed reasonable to me.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope. I see a LOT of well-behaved kids. Kids who say please and thank you and hold doors for people. Kids who are polite to the waitress and mind their parents and chew with their mouths closed.

I don't know where all these spoiled-rotten, hooligan kids who are throwing tantrums and running through the mall knocking over old people are. I'd notice those. The last time I heard a kid using his outside voice inside was a few weeks ago. That was in a used bookstore and a boy who was about seven shouted, "Chapter books!" when he saw them in the kids'section. Seemed reasonable to me.
Dr. Phil
Usually the kids need extensive therapy and it's deeper than a behavior issue but you know you watch one on TV and it's all those damn misbehaving spoiled brats today need to be beat, stripped of their electronics and be forced to "socialize" and play scrabble with their cross eyed 4 year old cousin.
✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼*runs shaking fist in air* damn youth Jezebel thug hoodlum teenagers.

I think Mama Boucher there needs a hug and some medicine to help with with paranoia.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Exclamations of delight are also allowed...lol.

I do see the ocassional rude kid...but there have always been those....nothing recent there...but the vast majority of kids are doing okay to great.

Last night at the grocery saw a boy about 7 or 8 shopping with his dad. He was dancing in the aisles....no ipod, no headphones...just dancing to his own beat. (He had some moves.) He saw an elderly woman coming his way with her cart...he stopped, moved to the side and said 'excuse me'. The woman smiled and said, "Dance on young man, dance on" That is what I see of today's kids.....not this horrible dystopian world of the young that the OP lives in.

Last edited by ScarletG; 09-07-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 02:45 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
Quote:
I have one question? Do kids really need 1000.00 in Christmas gifts?? What do they get out of it? Primarily nothing!!!!!

That is my point. I don't know of anyone off hand who spends $1000 in christmas gifts per kid. I am sure there are uber rich people that do but not in middle class land.

Most people I know may spend $200 at the most per kid which would come to about $14 in 1960. As for the gaming system, most parents see that as a "special" one time gift shared with family. Which again, $400 now is about $50 in 1960.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting