Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,784 times

Advertisements

Read enough to make one comment. I am glad as he$$ to have been born in 1950 to parents that never got divorced and raised 4 kids. Laugh at the Cleavers and the somewhat cartoonish depiction but in general terms they were not all that far off from the average American home. The show would never have lasted if it was that unrealistic when compared to the viewers lives.

Hokey yes but every kids birthday party was the same thing in a different home. Balloons, pin the tail and a cake. Now if one person has pony rides the next mom will be forced to offer a freaking hot air balloon. I know all this cause I raised two spoiled brats.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
Oh so you are admitting to spoiling kids that it is too hard for them to go to work and earn their own money for something? I was right this is a messed up society because so called perfect little angels. Oh my goodness it is terrible if they have to work and earn their own way for things and mommy and daddy will spoon feed them till they are 45 or 50 years old. Why not tuck them into bed and give them a bottle till. That age also?
Nothing of the sort. Did you buy all your own books growing up? Did you have an set of encyclopedias at home? (Dating myself there...but it was a large expense that many parent felt was important for their kids education...even if you could also find them at the library.)

Sorry...but there is not a darn thing wrong with parents buying their kids modern toys and tech as their budget allows. Doing so does not cause any of the things you've tried to prove.

Again, what is your age and what is your problem with kids? Did someone get something you didn't? Mommy won't buy you a new lap top? None of which has anything to do with your post about a fictional TV show of the past.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Read enough to make one comment. I am glad as he$$ to have been born in 1950 to parents that never got divorced and raised 4 kids. Laugh at the Cleavers and the somewhat cartoonish depiction but in general terms they were not all that far off from the average American home. The show would never have lasted if it was that unrealistic when compared to the viewers lives.

Hokey yes but every kids birthday party was the same thing in a different home. Balloons, pin the tail and a cake. Now if one person has pony rides the next mom will be forced to offer a freaking hot air balloon. I know all this cause I raised two spoiled brats.
And that is society's fault?

I raised two well behaved kids who, as adults, are pleasant to have around. They are hard working, ethical and polite. They had cell phones. We even owned an XBox

Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:

So you didn't raise your children well (what a horrible thing to say about you own kids) and you think all kids today are brats because they had birthday parties and don't have to wait until they are 18 get that a computer.

Since you are so proud of your Leave it to Beaver family...maybe the lesson is that idolizing that show leads to the very kids that the OP is complaining about...and not that the world isn't a fictional tv show?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
So there were kids intelligent and well behaved without iPhones or iPads. I mean what does a kid get out of it? Why can't a kid wait till they are older and earn their own with their own money?
I just thought....some school districts provide laptops or tablets for students becaue they are needed for the curriculum. .....so...in your world a family in such a district they should not allow their 8 year old access to the tech...but make them work for their own...all while they fall behind because they can't do their assignments? Or should the family just uproot everyone?

Again....how old are you and what is your real problem?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Well you can have that iPhone 6 but you still pay for the. Service plan on that phone and don't say that it is a bargain deal. You are paying close to a 100.00 a month for one phone and data plan and it doesn't matter where you live .
No I'm not., more like just over that price for two lines.

Quote:
So there were kids intelligent and well behaved without iPhones or iPads. I mean what does a kid get out of it? Why can't a kid wait till they are older and earn their own with their own money?
So don't ever give them more than the bare minimum??

Kids earn stuff with behavior and good grades and doing the right things, that's their payment.

It's called entertainment. Entwinement isn't supposed to have a purpose. It's supposed to just be fun.
We all have one life to live and it shouldn't be a miserable lacking existence devoid of fun or leisure.

I grew up with technology, social media and smart phones.
I also kept my grades up, was nice to my brother and did the things I needed to do.
I was also heavily involved in sports.

You seem to have an issue with giving kids anything more than the basics.
Don't build your child by teaching them about technology, something so heavily used in our world it's not like they'll need to learn it or like the kids who started using it sooner have more experience and skill and will get the better jobs.
Don't out your kids in music or sports, it's too revolved around the child and time demanding. They should stay inept at sports and the arts.
Don't let your kid have ANY fun because they're no purpose and it does nothing for them, instead raise a stoic emotionless child who doesn't know how to relax.

You raise mental cases and when I have kids I'll make sure I'm raising kids who will have valuable skills later in life.

Musical equipment
Outdoor activities (sports, ATVs, rock climbing, you name it)
Technology
It'll all be in my house. I don't want to raise inept children adults who are behind everyone else with technology use, have zero talents or interest and don't know how to have fun.

I'll be happy to buy my kid a nice guitar, drive him or her to lesson and him or her use their iPhone to call me to get them to take them to soccer practice next.
Why? because as long as they're learning and excelling they're bettering themselves and being well rounded and that's a good thing. If they doing well in life why not reward them with something cool and enjoyable to make their life easier why not?
I'm doing well in life which is why I reward myself with things like iPhones, cute clothes and make up.

Who wants to keep doing all the right things if they never get anything out of it or live a fulfilling life?

Aside from helping others I don't do anything unless I'm getting something out of it.
I wouldn't have wanted to keep getting good grades and behaving if I hadn't gotten anything for doing so.
I saw the kids who had everything expected of them and little freedom to do anything they liked by their parents and they were miserable.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And that is society's fault?

I raised two well behaved kids who, as adults, are pleasant to have around. They are hard working, ethical and polite. They had cell phones. We even owned an XBox
Spoiled is a relative term Mrs Cleaver. Compared to me and my siblings, yes they sure were. Am I glad I could spoil them? Yes and no.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Spoiled is a relative term Mrs Cleaver. Compared to me and my siblings, yes they sure were. Am I glad I could spoil them? Yes and no.
Nah..."spoiled" is a negative term indicating "ruined".

Priviledged would indicate having more, but being appreciative.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM

41 posts, read 30,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Nothing of the sort. Did you buy all your own books growing up? Did you have an set of encyclopedias at home? (Dating myself there...but it was a large expense that many parent felt was important for their kids education...even if you could also find them at the library.)

Sorry...but there is not a darn thing wrong with parents buying their kids modern toys and tech as their budget allows. Doing so does not cause any of the things you've tried to prove.

Again, what is your age and what is your problem with kids? Did someone get something you didn't? Mommy won't buy you a new lap top? None of which has anything to do with your post about a fictional TV show of the past.
Yes I had books at home. Dictionaries and encyclopedia. But I didn't need a computer and I didn't cry if I didn't have one. I knew I had access to one in grade and high school and beginning of college. I worked over the summer in high school and college . I saved money and bought a computer and also worked part time and went to school full time and payed for the Internet access . Yes I worked and paid for Internet access. My parent gave me a home growing up and clothed me . I didn't need complain that I wanted a computer and for them to buy it. I even saved up for my summer jobs and bought a bicycle to ride around with. because I used the Internet in college . It seems you are jealous because I learned the value of working for a dollar for what I wanted. And yes I even financed my own college education . And I am proud that I did as well. It seems when the truth is told to these parents that their kids should get off of their keysters and earn for what they want they go and get defensive.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
The kids of older generations may have been better behaved, but they were part of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" generation. Many of those children were beaten and subjected to abusive behavior that would not have been tolerated today.

People back then cheated, too, they were just more discrete, or it was kept hush hush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting