Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:55 AM

41 posts, read 30,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Nope, it's because in that 'era,' more parents were actually there to teach and model appropriate behavior, values, etc.
These days, parents are told they should not invest their time in their kids, overcompensate by giving/buying their kids everything, and then people wonder 'what's wrong with kids these days...'
And as fewer parents are able to buck this trend and put raising their kids above $, it's only going to get worse.
That is true. Parents are doing an rlextremely poor job raising their kids. Spoiling them with toys and iPhones and iPads doesn't teach them anything. And these are the types of parents who go saying some false statements that they had abusive and alcoholic family members in the 1950s. If they had those kinds of so called parents why is it that people from those days were more respectful? If you don't have the proof if parents were abusive and alcholics it means nothing them. But it is fact that parents today spoil their kids left and right. Just walk into an Apple Store and watch parents spoil their kids with iPads or iphones

Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Have you ever heard of inflation? In 1960, $1000 would have about $8000 worth in purchasing power. Do you actually think the average parent is spending $8000 in Christmas gifts? $1000 in today's dollars is about $120 in 1960.
I have one question? Do kids really need 1000.00 in Christmas gifts?? What do they get out of it? Primarily nothing!!!!!

Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
It is fact that there is a big difference of how marriage and families are from the 1950s and today. Look at Ward and June Cleavers family. There children and family were well behaved and not spoiled like crazy like kids today.

The Cleavers never spoiled their kids with everything they wanted and nagged the parents for back in the day whereas parents today choose to spoil their kids with iPhones and iPads because they throw fits if they don't have them.

Plus the Cleavers believed in family and were devoted to each other. There was no cheating among the couple.
And little Beaver has been married 3 times (so far). That's real life.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Beating kids is not the same as disipling them and its quite possible to disipline kids without beating them...sorry you think hitting is the same as teaching them how to behave. Do you honestly believe that all children in the 50s were perfect little angels? Selective memory at best.

And your story about parents asking their kids for permission? I have my doubts you are being accurate in the least.
Why do you think I am not accurate? I see parents ask their kids..do you mind if mommy goes here or there. No I do not condone spanking if you read , I never spanked mine. Maybe you scanned. I don't fault a parent for a swat on the rear if the child is doing something unsafe like running into a street etc. Sometimes shock value is a reminder. Not a hard hit a swat..very different. Again I didn't use that but some parents may need to. Never said all kids in the 50's were perfect angels. I wasn't and I did get switched on the legs and no I don't agree with it. I think manners were expected more than now. Kids seem to be on par with adults at times before they are adults. They should not have the same priveleges as adults for example just because Mommy & Daddy watch TV til 11:30 PM doesn't meann you can if you are getting up for school and still growing and require sleep to function.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:10 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ So, you are saying that in the 50's kids were NOT better behaved and less spoiled?e
That they were not different than kids today?
I dare to disagree...
The children raised in the 50's and 60's were raised to respect their elders and learned courtesy and manners. They were more able to handle the transition to the real world and didn't have the sense of entitlement the current batch of young adults have come to expect.
I grew up in the 50s in a very authoritarian family. My father was physically abusive and my mother was mentally abusive. My mother hated my father and his family, and they fought all the time. Whenever I did something that was not to her liking I was told, "You're just like a Smith." (name change to protect my identity) You could never win with my mother. I once found my brother reduced to tears, pounding his fist against the door of his room--his reaction to the vile that spilled out of my mother's mouth.

Clearly my mom had mentally issues (she was hospitalized twice) it wasn't until I was in my 40s that I made peace with the fact that I would never ever be able to please her, and that I would never have the kind of relationship that the Beaver had with his folks.

For my dad's part, he called us stupid but yet never bothered to teach us anything. It was easier for his ego to make us the scapegoat. I will say that he compensated for this by providing us with every material need we had as long as it met with his approval. We weren't allowed to have an allowance because that would give us a measure of independence, and thus he would lose control over us.

They're worst fear was that I would get pregnant. I was not allowed to date, and it took a lot of negotiating to convince them to let me go to my Junior and Senior proms. I ended up going away to college. It was the 70s and a time of turbulence (remember the Kent State incident?) It was here that I really grew up and started to think and be responsible for myself.

I never had "the talk" with my mother--when I was 13 she just gave me some literature on menstruating. My mother's philosophy was that all men were no good--and in the next breath she would say, "Why don't you find yourself a nice [insert ethnic group here] boy and get married?"

So it's no surprise that I found myself pregnant the summer of my Sophomore year in college. I have the dubious distinction of not actually "remembering" my "first time" because it was all a blur. I caved into my natural instincts and desire, not really knowing what I was doing and not thinking about the outcome. And it wasn't what you might think--this was my first real boyfriend and he was a real decent guy. When he discovered I was pregnant he offered to marry me but I thought it was better to f*ck up one person's life than several. Besides, I could play this out in my head: my father would kill us all. The trauma that would ensue was unfathomable. There was just no way I could bring this home. My boyfriend reluctantly agreed and paid for my abortion. The medical staff was cruel and indifferent--I never had an internal exam before and I wasn't prepared for it--my muscles tensed up and it was painful. I begged them to take the speculum out so I could catch my breath and the doctor almost refused. Once the whole ordeal was over I was relieved--we could put this past us now and resume our relationship. Instead, the boyfriend broke up with me (in retrospect I don't blame him--we were both Catholic and he was plagued with a lot of guilt)--I was devastated.

I won't go on about the rest of my life except to say that I would never EVER want to be in my 20s again--I was pretty much a trainwreck then. By the time I hit 30 my life was more or less "normal."

To this day I have never been able to fully trust or confide in people or be able to reach out for help when I need it due to that "50s idyllic childhood."

Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
I have one question? Do kids really need 1000.00 in Christmas gifts?? What do they get out of it? Primarily nothing!!!!!
That number is an average...younger kids dont tend to not get close to that but older kids get things like tablets and computers....which drives up the average...xbox and play stations as well.....I kniw a few that got used cars.

The only year we spent that much was the year she got her lap top...which she needed for college the following year and is still using....so yeah...she got something out of it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That number is an average...younger kids dont tend to not get close to that but older kids get things like tablets and computers....which drives up the average...xbox and play stations as well.....I kniw a few that got used cars.

The only year we spent that much was the year she got her lap top...which she needed for college the following year and is still using....so yeah...she got something out of it.
Well Xbox and play station is a complete waste . What do kids get out of that ?? Primarily nothing!!!! I got a computer when I needed it for college,but do you know how?? I worked a summer job and saved for it. That is right, saved my own money and bought it. Christmas is not about spoiling kids with 1000.00 gifts. It is about being with loved ones and family

Old 09-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I grew up in the 50s in a very authoritarian family. My father was physically abusive and my mother was mentally abusive. My mother hated my father and his family, and they fought all the time. Whenever I did something that was not to her liking I was told, "You're just like a Smith." (name change to protect my identity) You could never win with my mother. I once found my brother reduced to tears, pounding his fist against the door of his room--his reaction to the vile that spilled out of my mother's mouth.

Clearly my mom had mentally issues (she was hospitalized twice) it wasn't until I was in my 40s that I made peace with the fact that I would never ever be able to please her, and that I would never have the kind of relationship that the Beaver had with his folks.

For my dad's part, he called us stupid but yet never bothered to teach us anything. It was easier for his ego to make us the scapegoat. I will say that he compensated for this by providing us with every material need we had as long as it met with his approval. We weren't allowed to have an allowance because that would give us a measure of independence, and thus he would lose control over us.

They're worst fear was that I would get pregnant. I was not allowed to date, and it took a lot of negotiating to convince them to let me go to my Junior and Senior proms. I ended up going away to college. It was the 70s and a time of turbulence (remember the Kent State incident?) It was here that I really grew up and started to think and be responsible for myself.

I never had "the talk" with my mother--when I was 13 she just gave me some literature on menstruating. My mother's philosophy was that all men were no good--and in the next breath she would say, "Why don't you find yourself a nice [insert ethnic group here] boy and get married?"

So it's no surprise that I found myself pregnant the summer of my Sophomore year in college. I have the dubious distinction of not actually "remembering" my "first time" because it was all a blur. I caved into my natural instincts and desire, not really knowing what I was doing and not thinking about the outcome. And it wasn't what you might think--this was my first real boyfriend and he was a real decent guy. When he discovered I was pregnant he offered to marry me but I thought it was better to f*ck up one person's life than several. Besides, I could play this out in my head: my father would kill us all. The trauma that would ensue was unfathomable. There was just no way I could bring this home. My boyfriend reluctantly agreed and paid for my abortion. The medical staff was cruel and indifferent--I never had an internal exam before and I wasn't prepared for it--my muscles tensed up and it was painful. I begged them to take the speculum out so I could catch my breath and the doctor almost refused. Once the whole ordeal was over I was relieved--we could put this past us now and resume our relationship. Instead, the boyfriend broke up with me (in retrospect I don't blame him--we were both Catholic and he was plagued with a lot of guilt)--I was devastated.

I won't go on about the rest of my life except to say that I would never EVER want to be in my 20s again--I was pretty much a trainwreck then. By the time I hit 30 my life was more or less "normal."

To this day I have never been able to fully trust or confide in people or be able to reach out for help when I need it due to that "50s idyllic childhood."
Well. Nothing wrong with a little spanking if the kid acts up but not heavy abusive. But nowadays a little. Spanking is considered as child abuse. These days are crazy

Old 09-07-2015, 12:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Well Xbox and play station is a complete waste . What do kids get out of that ?? Primarily nothing!!!! I got a computer when I needed it for college,but do you know how?? I worked a summer job and saved for it. That is right, saved my own money and bought it. Christmas is not about spoiling kids with 1000.00 gifts. It is about being with loved ones and family
Do you do nothing for sheer enjoyment?

My kids were given a lot of opportunities and material possessions. They needed computers long before college. They didn't turn into brats. You don't get to decide how other families spend their money.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
We play video games as a family...it's one form of entertainment - we also played Uno last night so having video games doesn't keep people from playing analog games either. Do you do nothing that is just for fun? Do you think that kids in the 50s didn't do things just for fun?

So we were able to buy our daughter a computer...she also had a job from the time she's been 16....they have nothing to do with each other.

And what does any of that have to do with your flawed premise that the 50s were so idyllic and perfect and current times so horid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting