Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,241 times

Advertisements

Very rude of the mother. She is so in the wrong and completely blind to it. No consideration of anyone else who paid to watch the movie. Sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I agree that kids movies are going to have noisy kids in them.
That being said, no kid of mine is going to a public place they can't behave appropriately at. My kid is 3. I KNOW he can't handle a whole movie. So he doesn't go. Period. Saying "everyone does it" is the kind of excuse that sets my teeth on edge. "Everyone does it" is what makes the world a little bit less bearable to me.

That being said, I think this lady is being a little dramatic about that whole, "YOU CHOSE TO DISCRIMINATE" thing. Not likely. There's like a zero percent chance the guy knew your kid had a disability.

The kid looks like a real sweetheart, and I am so impressed with his tenacity and strength. Rock on, Vito!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
I reviewed the comments on the HuffPo story itself. Even those readers are against the mother. All the top comments tell her to rent a movie at home instead.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM

271 posts, read 567,302 times
The mother posted a response to all of the hates out there on her son's fb page

"I feel it is time to address the elephant in the room....So many of you have seen Vito on your Facebook feeds today.

While a lot of it has been positive many has not.

I want to thank everyone for their support. I know it won't help much. But I just have to say, AMC theater employees were there. I saw them a couple times as I was grabbing snacks for the boys. Plus potty breaks. They heard Vito as well. But they didn't feel he needed to be removed. Otherwise he would have been because AMC has pretty strict rules.

I'm more bothered by how instead of addressing the issue at hand, a man shouting at a child. My parenting skills were attacked.

The man could have gone to management (maybe he did and was mad they didn't feel vito was a disturbance) and objected that way. Instead he screamed at a child.

We were sitting in the handicap section. Right by the door. In case we needed to pull the kids out fast.

I stand by my words. Treating children like our Vito like the way the man did, you are teaching the children in the theater public shaming. Life is more than money. Life is about love.

We are deleting negative comments, we have warriors on here. Kid warriors who have situations like Vito. They don't need to read the incredibly hurtful comments made.

I would be lying if I said some of the comments didn't hurt. Especially the ones that were sent to my work email?? But, I did read some. I saw where people said they will think twice before they judge someone who sounds differently. That makes it all worth it. It truly does. If one child is not judged harshly over something he can't change, well than its worth it. Truly worth it. One wrong and hurtful judgement can destroy a child's spirit. I just hope to bring more awareness to those judgements.

Much Love"

Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
The mother posted a response to all of the hates out there on her son's fb page

"I feel it is time to address the elephant in the room....So many of you have seen Vito on your Facebook feeds today.

While a lot of it has been positive many has not.

I want to thank everyone for their support. I know it won't help much. But I just have to say, AMC theater employees were there. I saw them a couple times as I was grabbing snacks for the boys. Plus potty breaks. They heard Vito as well. But they didn't feel he needed to be removed. Otherwise he would have been because AMC has pretty strict rules.

I'm more bothered by how instead of addressing the issue at hand, a man shouting at a child. My parenting skills were attacked.

The man could have gone to management (maybe he did and was mad they didn't feel vito was a disturbance) and objected that way. Instead he screamed at a child.

We were sitting in the handicap section. Right by the door. In case we needed to pull the kids out fast.

I stand by my words. Treating children like our Vito like the way the man did, you are teaching the children in the theater public shaming. Life is more than money. Life is about love.

We are deleting negative comments, we have warriors on here. Kid warriors who have situations like Vito. They don't need to read the incredibly hurtful comments made.

I would be lying if I said some of the comments didn't hurt. Especially the ones that were sent to my work email?? But, I did read some. I saw where people said they will think twice before they judge someone who sounds differently. That makes it all worth it. It truly does. If one child is not judged harshly over something he can't change, well than its worth it. Truly worth it. One wrong and hurtful judgement can destroy a child's spirit. I just hope to bring more awareness to those judgements.

Much Love"
Still wrong. Now she's only making it worse. I'm surprised anyone is supporting her...

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM

271 posts, read 567,302 times
It's funny how she keeps saying the guy yelled at her kid. From her original post, the guy said "Get that kid out of here!". From that statement alone, he's obviously directing his remark at the parent, not the kid.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I dunno, I can't say I blame the man. If your child is going to be more disruptive than other children...and you know that in advance...maybe you shouldn't bring that child to the movies.

A good friend of mine has an autistic son; she would never take him to the movies or a fancy restaurant because she knows what the end result would be.

What are your thoughts?

To The Man Who Yelled At The Movie Theater About My Child*|*Nicole Skaro

I don't blame the man at all. I am sorry, but as a customer at a movie theater, I have a reasonable expectation of watching a movie in peace. Especially, an adult movie, but any movie.

Yesterday I was at a high school graduation. The principal stated that anyone including people with fussy babies, should excuse themselves to the lobby until the individual calmed down.

This would appear to include any individual who could not comport themselves quietly during a two hour ceremony.

There are limitations where people with conduct disorders, and the very young can go. It's sad, perhaps; but it's true.

People need to know the limitations of their child, and mesh them with the norms of society.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
It's funny how she keeps saying the guy yelled at her kid. From her original post, the guy said "Get that kid out of here!". From that statement alone, he's obviously directing his remark at the parent, not the kid.
What I'm wondering is, in a dark theater how does she know the man was directing his comment at her and not some other parent?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The principal stated that anyone including people with fussy babies, should excuse themselves to the lobby until the individual calmed down.
This is exactly why we can't take my 89 year old grandmother ANYWHERE, that isn't cracker barrel (her favorite place). She has dementia and can't really conduct herself anymore. Not her fault but still we don't take her places.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
I'm glad her son is doing well with his illness, and if he was an appropriate age to be in a movie I would empathize with her. However, very very few toddlers would be able to sit through a whole Disney movie without fidgeting or being disruptive.

Even if they could "sit through it" their enjoyment would be far greater waiting for video and watching the movie in the comfort of their home.

To bring a toddler (regardless of health conditions) to a movie makes no sense, she didn't care about anyone else in the theatre and yet now rants about a lack of compassion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting