Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
I was just going to ask if this sort of questioning at play dates is the norm? Would people be offended if I ask them if they have guns in the house?
As someone who doesn't come from this country & will possibly be moving there shortly (CT), I'm terrified of the gun culture. It's honesty bizarre, other worldly to me. Nice to see some try to do the right thing by their kids tho.
Nobody's ever asked me if I had guns in the house before their kids came over. Anyone who knows what my husband does for a living would know that there's at least one gun in the house. The two families whose kids come over most often both know that we own several guns.

I wouldn't be comfortable telling people who I didn't know very well that we had guns...that could make my house a target for a break-in.

On the other hand, there's a family who my kids don't play with anymore because I went to help them move some furniture one day and saw bullet holes in the upstairs hallway. I asked the mom what had happened and she said that she didn't know her gun was loaded. So we steer clear of that house now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:31 AM

158 posts, read 215,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Nobody's ever asked me if I had guns in the house before their kids came over. Anyone who knows what my husband does for a living would know that there's at least one gun in the house. The two families whose kids come over most often both know that we own several guns.

I wouldn't be comfortable telling people who I didn't know very well that we had guns...that could make my house a target for a break-in.

On the other hand, there's a family who my kids don't play with anymore because I went to help them move some furniture one day and saw bullet holes in the upstairs hallway. I asked the mom what had happened and she said that she didn't know her gun was loaded. So we steer clear of that house now.
ok, interesting. I assume if someone entrusts you with their 5/6 year old child, or whatever aged child really, for an afternoon's play date that you should be comfortable enough to say yay or nay to gun ownership?
Given your last comment. I think it's a reasonable question yes?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

A and B. A: First of all, that question of guns in the house is "a matter of internal security and is not open for discussion". It has to be because, among other things, I don't want Ms. Ounce's house to be in the listings as a place to "shop at" before the next rumble. One might ask, "Does it really matter? You don't have kids and I imagine you don't have children coming over to your house to play." I do have, however, nieces and a nephew so the possibility of that question being asked does exist.

Whether there or are not and what their security is if there are is not a question that is answered. Two, however, internal things on that. First, if I am someplace where children are, I do disarm, I do secure. I will probably rearm as I am leaving, but it is just a part of life where there will be times when one has to be unarmed......but then there are always 'alternatives' at hand. Secondly, though, if there aren't children or other reason around, as I told my brother once, if you find a gun of mine, it will probably be loaded.

B: Once when I was traveling and staying at my SIL (at the time), she was not surprised to find out I had a carbine (unloaded,secured) with me in addition to my sidearm.....she said she expected I always traveled like that. My nephew, another time when he was helping me pack my car, was surprised to find that I always traveled with a rifle (unloaded). C'est la vie.

Quote:
ok, interesting. I assume if someone entrusts you with their 5/6 year old child, or whatever aged child really, for an afternoon's play date that you should be comfortable enough to say yay or nay to gun ownership?
Given your last comment. I think it's a reasonable question yes?
But what is a reasonable answer? If a question is answered yes, then how many more questions are permitted to be asked? Does one get to ask (and expect answers) to why visiting SIL Tamara carries a side arm used by German Frogmen, why is she also carrying a rifle with her, just what does she really do?

Now, granted, children are understandably highly prized and protected. I know, understand this because of work I've done in the past. It would be reasonable, to me, to ask questions of are there guns and how are they secured but if things start getting into "why", then that is probably going too far.

EQUALLY, if the answers aren't to the satisfaction of the parent, they are not out of line telling their children to play elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
..........As for when my kids will go shooting? Not yet. To me it's a hobby, and i'm not quite ready to start pushing my hobbies onto my kids. I wouldn't take my 6 year old into the garage and start teaching them to rebuild a small-block V8. It's one of those things where I will need to see where their interests are and assess what sort of responsibility they can handle. I have a few BB and .22's we can start out with...when their ready. They might not even express an interest in it ever...and I'm fine with that.
I'm curious for when one takes their kids to the range, how do they shoot in front of the children?

I shoot how I usually shoot......at silhouettes. The one time I took my nephew & brother to the range, we rented the range's .22 rifle and instructed, let him use that. I am pretty certain, however, that he was shooting at a silhouette and I really didn't think about that or how he might have seen me shoot till now. I did shoot some more rounds at another target that day, but don't recall if it was pistol or rifle.

The thing is, it's what I do, it's what I am. Hopefully, I will never HAVE TO shoot a gun but if I do, then I need to be absolutely accurate. Does, however, a child such as a teen understand that, understand that for all I do on the range, from silhouette to stance to shoulder holster/spare magazines worn (but not drawn from) to bringing the paper man back after each bout and taping him up after I've recorded the bout in my log, is part of being a professional?

I don't know and as said, I really didn't think about it till now.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-21-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm curious for when one takes their kids to the range, how do they shoot in front of the children?

I shoot how I usually shoot......at silhouettes. The one time I took my nephew & brother to the range, we rented the range's .22 rifle and instructed, let him use that. I am pretty certain, however, that he was shooting at a silhouette and I really didn't think about that or how he might have seen me shoot till now. I did shoot some more rounds at another target that day, but don't recall if it was pistol or rifle.

The thing is, it's what I do, it's what I am. Hopefully, I will never HAVE TO shoot a gun but if I do, then I need to be absolutely accurate. Does, however, a child such as a teen understand that, understand that for all I do on the range, from silhouette to stance to shoulder holster/spare magazines worn (but not drawn from) to bringing the paper man back after each bout and taping him up after I've recorded the bout in my log, is part of being a professional?

I don't know and as said, I really didn't think about it till now.

Can you use something other than silhouettes for just that one trip?

When I go to the range, i'm usually alone 99% of the time and bring my own targets. Me and my buddy's use the peel-n-stick type targets as it allows us to see our shots at 100 yards when we make wagers and try to outshoot each other.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Can you use something other than silhouettes for just that one trip?

When I go to the range, i'm usually alone 99% of the time and bring my own targets. Me and my buddy's use the peel-n-stick type targets as it allows us to see our shots at 100 yards when we make wagers and try to outshoot each other.
Sure, the standard (boring) bullseye. As it goes, there is a choice of 3 types of target, bullseye (what hunters use for sighting), full size silhouette, and reduced silhouette. We can only use that the range provides.

I use scotch tape to tape up the paper man.

I was more concerned with my shooting style, though, than the silhouette. Now that I have thought about it, I might not do a combat pistol bout around a child, but even when I shoot rifle, when I wrap that sling around my support arm, I'm fairly "serious".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-21-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
will possibly be moving there shortly (CT), I'm terrified of the gun culture. It's honesty bizarre, other worldly to me. Nice to see some try to do the right thing by their kids tho.
There is no gun culture in CT. It's one of the states where gun ownership is highly regulated and as a result, the "gun culture" is pretty much out of sight. Other than police officers, you will more than likely never even see a gun in CT.

People own them, but you will never know it. People will conceal carry, but you will never know it. That's just how it is in the more regulated states.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
There is no gun culture in CT. It's one of the states where gun ownership is highly regulated and as a result, the "gun culture" is pretty much out of sight. Other than police officers, you will more than likely never even see a gun in CT.

People own them, but you will never know it. People will conceal carry, but you will never know it. That's just how it is in the more regulated states.
It may be true that it is out of sight, but

Connecticut has thriving gun culture - Connecticut Post

Connecticut Was Cradle of Gun Culture Centuries Before Massacre - Bloomberg Business

Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM

But you aren't going to see this in CT.

MA is the same way. All out of sight and many are oblivious. Can't tell you how many times I heard "So glad I can go to the movie theater here without people carrying guns!". Riiiiiight. Keep on believing that.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
when my son was about 5 he got his first bb gun. had to cut the stock so he could handle it. Once he turned 8 I got him a 410 single shot, shot gun and a single shot cricket 22 rifle so we could hunt squirrels.

I have taught him gun safety ever since he was able to comprehend. now at age 11 he knows fully what to do when ever he handles a gun to make sure its safe and unloaded. he automatically checks any firearm he is handed and knows not to touch unattended guns like he may find at another persons house. I think a trained and informed child is much safer than one that has been sheltered from guns n things.

For my sons 11th birthday he wanted a browning 22cal 1911 so I cover $500 and he paid the remaining $160. I do believe you have to judge how responsible a child is but most children can learn gun safty. just the other weekend we wennt through about 1000 rounds to break in his new 22 hand gun.

So what are your thoughts and ages you let your child use guns if you have?
My sons were about 6-7 when they got their first BB guns, around 12 for their first .22 rifles and 410 for hunting, 16 when they got their own deer rifles.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
But you aren't going to see this in CT.

MA is the same way. All out of sight and many are oblivious. Can't tell you how many times I heard "So glad I can go to the movie theater here without people carrying guns!". Riiiiiight. Keep on believing that.

But still, the "gun culture" in CT, NYC metro area of NY etc is different to other states. Its not a frequent topic of discussion, you don't meet many gun owners in comparison, gun ranges are much more limited in number, gun selling fairs are infrequent. Open carry - never seen them unless on soldiers or cops. And gun fetishism, which is extensive in some areas of the US, is much rarer.

Generally in the lower states there is an inverse relationship between the amount of guns in an area and the quality of the BBQ in an area. And CT BBQ aint nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting