Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times

Advertisements

In Texas, where there is unfortunately a gun culture and the crazy open carry people, I - as stated above - ask every parent about their guns. I guess I'd rather offend someone than have a dead child because guns aren't locked up and kids are curious. It just happens too much. In my expereince, no one has ever acted offended or refused to answer. They may be a bit taken aback but it's becoming a thing down here to ask. It's actually recommended by the American Pediatrics Academy, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, etc. It's very basic questions, not intrusive by any means. And I'm not posting on Facebook whether someone has guns or not - so this "my house could become a target" is kind of silly. I would love people to ask me this as a matter of course, just like they ask if my kids have any allergies before serving dinner. Guns kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
........And I'm not posting on Facebook whether someone has guns or not - so this "my house could become a target" is kind of silly. I would love people to ask me this as a matter of course, just like they ask if my kids have any allergies before serving dinner. Guns kill.
This reminds me of the self belief fallacy of "Because I am not a threat, no one will perceive me as a threat."

So if, say you were my neighbor and you were to ask me, how do I know you? How do I know that you won't keep that information to yourself, that you won't tell it to another who might indeed blab it to the wrong people, in the wrong places.

Further, how do I know your extension of knowledge? I had a professor in a disaster management class who was quite surprised to find out one could buy a case of ammo legally. She thought such things were against the law.

How do I know whether or not my answers to you will not end up in the wrong ears or be reported to the police with incorrect beliefs to bring a world of hurt down on someone. It's sort of like incorrectly reporting someone to CPS; one may have good intentions but the receiver is potentially in for hell.

Now, as I said before, I will judge who has a need to know that information and whether or not such questions will be answered.

But we must remember, all of us, that for whatever we do, we may know ourselves, but does another know us as well?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times
Uh, I think we would know each other if our kids were playing at each other's houses. I'm not talking about going to strangers houses and asking if they have guns. And I would choose not to ahve my kids go to your house, because your refusal to answer simple safety questions would tell me all I need to know. I don't follow the rest of your post because it's not making sense to me - wrong ears? Cps? Black helicopters?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Uh, I think we would know each other if our kids were playing at each other's houses. I'm not talking about going to strangers houses and asking if they have guns. And I would choose not to ahve my kids go to your house, because your refusal to answer simple safety questions would tell me all I need to know. I don't follow the rest of your post because it's not making sense to me - wrong ears? Cps? Black helicopters?
Well, I was saying it nicely as in wrong ears...................gossip.
CPS is Child Protection Services.

As far as my refusal, well A and B. A: That is your prerogative to make such decisions as you see fit. Just as it it mine not to release information......ALTHOUGH, I have done a pretty good job of that with //www.city-data.com/forum/house...afe-sound.html
B: It seems you have a decision tree of some method, just as I do, of how to proceed when there is insufficient information. There is nothing wrong with that......provided the lack of information does not cause one to leap to conclusions about situations where there is no data to support it.

But this conversation is not really about me but rather, for the person like me, who may be a parent, then how does one proceed? Indeed, I made the previous post to illustrate that the belief of "so this "my house could become a target" is kind of silly" often depends on the eye of the beholder.

Quite frankly, if I ever became a parent (the "Baby Boom" inheritance, for example) I don't know what I would do. If not the guns, then there are my cats who get away with murder with me. If not them, then my law enforcement research texts.........but admittedly, that is something else, in part.

Just by nature, I am a private person and do not talk much to others outside my circle about what I do.....as I am sure there are other people like me around in various neighborhoods who may indeed be parents.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-21-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
ok, interesting. I assume if someone entrusts you with their 5/6 year old child, or whatever aged child really, for an afternoon's play date that you should be comfortable enough to say yay or nay to gun ownership?
Given your last comment. I think it's a reasonable question yes?
Surprisingly, neighbors will ask to send their kids over for a play date (aka free babysitting) without knowing anything about me, other than the fact that I don't work and that I have kids. And a lot of kids who are left home alone in the afternoons will come hang out with my kids without their parents ever having met us. So no, these aren't really people I know very well, or know at all.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

158 posts, read 215,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But you aren't going to see this in CT.

MA is the same way. All out of sight and many are oblivious. Can't tell you how many times I heard "So glad I can go to the movie theater here without people carrying guns!". Riiiiiight. Keep on believing that.
Great Pic. Reminds me of the hunters we came across in Italy. Only difference is they had a holster carrying a bottle of wine over the other shoulder!!

I kind of figured that MA/CT/NYC metro areas would be pretty similar in beliefs.

Hedgehog-mum, that's just wrong. I had unknown kids turn up to swim in my pool one afternoon, along with the rest of the usual crowd. The parents couldn't be arsed to come over & meet me or bother to tell me their youngest couldn't swim... I only realised that when she started to 'climb the ladder'.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:02 PM

176 posts, read 189,651 times
Why on Earth would parents give their children guns as presents and want them to have gun practice? Shocking.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
Why on Earth would parents give their children guns as presents and want them to have gun practice? Shocking.
To you. Normal to others.

http://www.youthshootingsa.com/

Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
Um, well, because not everyone has an irrational fear. Some like to teach multiple skills. Practice makes perfect. Some are big into hunting. Some would like to be on their school's trap shooting team. Yes, many high schools have shooting teams!

And it's FUN!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
It's also a good idea to look into the laws for your state, about this. While some states have no age limit for when a child can possess a rifle, some states do.

In Montana, that age is 14.

Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Minnesota, and New York, a person has to be 16 to have a rifle/shotgun.

A couple of other states even have it at 18 (not sure which ones though)

Anyway, I'd say age 11 or 12 would be reasonable under supervision, and if the gun is kept locked up and put away when not in use. Also, the absolute first thing you should do is to teach your children about gun safety. I'd recommend a .22 to start.

If it's a toy gun, any age.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 08-29-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting