Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

I remember I was told by the courts, after our divorce, that although a parenting plan would be in effect until the boys were age 18, saying whose house they lived in during which days, holidays, etc. that in actuality once they could physically get themselves to one house or another, as in get on a bus, or get a ride, or walk elsewhere, that the courts could not do anything about it. Regardless of age of the minor, once they could physically go somewhere of their own choosing, the law is not going to step in. So no court could "force" them to live with mom or dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 05:32 PM

170 posts, read 581,764 times
This is assed-backwards. The MOTHER of the daughter needs to go to court to make HER daughter come home? This is OKAY?................. and in most states the PARENT is financially, legally, etc. responsible for your minor child until the age of 18.................................The child is a delinquent and the cops should bring her home.

UNLESS, there is proof there is abuse of any form going on!! There isn't is there. That would make a difference.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 PM

170 posts, read 581,764 times
This is assed-backwards. The MOTHER of the daughter needs to go to court to make HER daughter come home? This is OKAY?................. and in most states the PARENT is financially, legally, etc. responsible for your minor child until the age of 18.................................I bet the PARENT would get in BIG trouble if she decided to kick out the child. The child is a delinquent and the cops should bring her home.

UNLESS, there is proof there is abuse of any form going on!! There isn't is there? That would make a difference.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbyrd View Post
I am currently raising my 16 year old grandaughter and you are not the first to experience this. Without a declaration of emancipation even though they are 16 they are still a minor. You need to step up to the plate and be a parent instead of letting your emotions get in your way. File the proper paper work and assert yourself as a parent the child will thank you in years to come.
It is not my daughter. One of her friends and she is still at the friend's house!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,493 times
this is BS COPS ARE NOT DOING THEir job..... im having a similiar problem.... but cant find my sis.. the cop said she or her bf didnt commit a crime so they cant search where he lives.. MAD nonsense.. she been missing for a while now. and the cop did nothing...

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-11-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know. Could be that she does not want the girl to have a record or that the girl is about 1 year and 3 months from 18 anyway and she does not think the fight would be worth it.
She's probably right about that. Why would you want to forcibly drag a kid home anyway--certainly not for your blood pressure.

I don't know where you grew up, but in big cities and even some smaller ones, cops won't detain kids for home truancy unless there is some other illegal activity going on.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbyrd View Post
I am currently raising my 16 year old grandaughter and you are not the first to experience this. Without a declaration of emancipation even though they are 16 they are still a minor. You need to step up to the plate and be a parent instead of letting your emotions get in your way. File the proper paper work and assert yourself as a parent the child will thank you in years to come.
Emancipation is probably a better choice in this case than forcible return. The "child" is 16, not 6.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,898 times
Quote:
Surprisingly the cops say that there is nothing they can do or want to do! Here is what happened- the 16 year old girl ran away from home and went to a friend's house almost 2 months ago. Amazingly the friend's parents told the girl that she could stay there as long as she wanted provided she goes to school and stays out of trouble WITHOUT asking the girl's mother if she could stay there!! And if that is not amazing enough the girl's mother called the COPS and they told her NO laws were being broken! They said that it is a civil matter and that the mother would have to go to Juvenile Court and file a petition to have the girl declared "wayward" before she could be removed from the friend's house against her will! The mother declined to do so and the girl is still at the friend's house. Kids have alot more rights now I guess. When I was 16, the cops would have grabbed that girl by the scruff and kicked her butt all the way back home!
Here is how this would go down in my house, DD "I want to move away" me " yay ok let me help you pack" DD "what you want me to leave?" ME "No you want to leave so I am helping you" DD"fine you will never see me again" ME" Fine" DD "FINE" I drive DD to her friends who is "helping her" Next day at work get a phone call. DD" So I am just calling to ask you what your plans are for my future" ME "what?" DD" Well if I am not living with you what are my plans for the future?" ME "THe heck if I know you left" DD"well how am I to live?" ME" The heck if I know you left" then I hung up the phone. DD was home that night.

My opinion is call the bluff of the child, If the cops get involved explain to them they will understand. Kids have more power if the parents let them. MY DD threatened to call child services, I handed the phone and told her " so my vacation starts now?"

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-11-2009 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Please watch the language

Old 04-11-2009, 12:12 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
This brings to mind a boy I met while in college. He was roughly 15 and lived with a bunch of skinheads, who rented a house across the street from my classmates. For some reason, the skinheads liked my friends and were always popping by to socialize with them. They were too afraid of the guys to turn them away.

Anyway, during the course of that, my one friend got to know the teen-ager. He was a runaway, but his father knew where he was. The police wouldn't intervene, I guess - I don't know or even recall all of the details. The skinheads pretty much adopted him and tried to get him to go to school, etc. (I guess there are good sides to all people.) Anyway, my friend eventually got into contact with the father and somehow brokered a peace between the two. I believe the boy moved home, got his GED, and started taking classes at the community college.

Hopefully, the situation with the young lady resolves itself more quickly. I'm glad she found a safe place and I can't even imagine what her parents must be going through.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
When I was 16, the cops would have grabbed that girl by the scruff and kicked her ass all the way back home!
Back then cops did it more as a courtesy to the parent. They don't make so much of an effort these days, and people are so sue happy they probably don't dare.

Funny how kids run away for being diciplined or not getting their way. She didn't want to follow Mom's rules, so she ran to a friend's so she can follow someone else's rules. Kids don't make sense sometimes.

If that friend's mother doesn't mind supporting the girl, and the girl is happy following the rules of THAT house, then I would be inclined to leave her there. BUT I WOULD GIVE NO MONEY TO THAT PARENT FOR MY KID. It will get old sooner or later. She's not being harmed and she's going to school and her mother knows where she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting