Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
In many parts of the world, 16 is a legal adult age.

Also in the USA, it is uncommonly known that kids can legally drop out of school at 16. 16 is seen as close enough to adult age, that the police really don't worry about it. There's all these legal loopholes that many people aren't aware of. 18 isn't the magic age, its actually 16, but we just don't tell the kids about it or they'd ALL leave and ALL quit school if they knew they could.

In Oklahoma you can drop out of school at 16. When my daughter told me she "wouldn't let her father homeschool her" I did my best to explain to her that all he has to do is show up at the administration offices of the school and dis-enroll her. I thought she was gonna pass out. I will say since the police officer showed up Tuesday he informed me I was legally obligated to feed, clothe, and shelter her until she was 18. She is at her father's for awhile..... She is his problem now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
In Oklahoma you can drop out of school at 16. When my daughter told me she "wouldn't let her father homeschool her" I did my best to explain to her that all he has to do is show up at the administration offices of the school and dis-enroll her. I thought she was gonna pass out. I will say since the police officer showed up Tuesday he informed me I was legally obligated to feed, clothe, and shelter her until she was 18. She is at her father's for awhile..... She is his problem now.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your daughter. Hopefully she will come around and the situation will improve.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No. In some states, they can drop out at 16. In others, they have to wait until 17 or 18. Here, they have to wait until the end of the school year during which they turn 18...they can't even drop out on their 18th birthday.
Then what do they do with the kids who turn 17 in their senior year and graduate at 17?

My daughter started school at 4, and she will graduate at 17. If we moved to Texas, she wouldn't be able to graduate for another year?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hold your ground. It's better for her that she is the one who comes around, not you. Sometimes life comes with hard knocks, but the strongest people are those who learn from them.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Then what do they do with the kids who turn 17 in their senior year and graduate at 17?

My daughter started school at 4, and she will graduate at 17. If we moved to Texas, she wouldn't be able to graduate for another year?
No. She can graduate at 17. Graduation exempts them from the attendance requirements.

Because of our cut-off dates here, it's impossible for a kid to start at 4. The only way one could graduate at 17 is with skipping a grade, graduating early, or having a summer birthday (assuming they attended school K-12 in TX). That said, as long as they have the required number of credits (ncluding those transferred from another state), they can graduate at any age.

The state technically only requires attendance until a kid's 18th birthday but allows districts to adopt a policy requiring attendance through the end of the year (basically the policy states that they cannot drop out mid-year). I think about 95% of the districts have adopted the policy. If the district has adopted the policy, the kid can be charged with truancy in court just as a 17 year old could be.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-12-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM

http:/http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25311/www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25311

There are exemptions, but pretty strict ones. Kids are better off just finishing school.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:30 PM

81 posts, read 272,791 times
I'm wondering what state this was in.... sending the girl home and placing juvenile consequences upon her is one thing, but for the adults that were harboring the child, I wonder what their consequences could have entailed? It sounds like contributing to the delinquency of a minor, if nothing else.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
Quote:
Hold your ground. It's better for her that she is the one who comes around, not you. Sometimes life comes with hard knocks, but the strongest people are those who learn from them.
I dropped her off on Wednesday. I have decided I will call her on Wednesdays only. I know know what she will do, but she will do it I won't. I have decided to take the high road and when I told her I was done... I meant it. She will have to come back to ME and when she does, I will still have to think about it awhile before I allow her to come home. Then it will be with clear rules and no excuses.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
http:/http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25311/www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25311

There are exemptions, but pretty strict ones. Kids are better off just finishing school.
The legislature changed the law significantly in 2007. The post that included the actual law showed the pre-07 law.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u....25.htm#25.085

Exemptions are the next section 25.086.

It's extremely confusing....but basically all kids are required to attend until their 18th birthday unless they've already graduated (which is very rare). If they're in a district that has adopted a policy requiring attendance through the end of the year, they pretty much have to stay in until the end. The GED classes, job corps, etc. are other options.

Some districts do a TERRIBLE job of tracking all this and it's a nightmare to try to enforce.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-12-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I dropped her off on Wednesday. I have decided I will call her on Wednesdays only. I know know what she will do, but she will do it I won't. I have decided to take the high road and when I told her I was done... I meant it. She will have to come back to ME and when she does, I will still have to think about it awhile before I allow her to come home. Then it will be with clear rules and no excuses.
Hopefully she gets a lesson in the school of hard knocks at dad's house and comes back begging and eager to follow the rules.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting