Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,217,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I know the girl somewhat. She is a friend of my daughter and she is a nice girl and everything I know about her is OK from the times she has been to our house. I have met her mother once and the mother seemed OK too. My daughter said they have been fighting for a long time over stuff that typically teenagers and parents fight over. The girl ran away one other time to her father's house a few years ago but came back on her own after a weekend. I do not know the friend she is staying with at all but accoridng to my daughter, the friend's mother said that she felt like the girl was going to end up on the street where bad things happen to girls if she did not let her stay. So I guess she is between a rock and a hard place. I am just glad the girl chose her and not my house because to be honest with you, I am not sure how I would have dealt with it either. But I think I would have tried to reason with the girls mother and got her permission first. I can see why she might be a bit not happy about it.

Or require that the mother and daughter go to family counseling. Basically the friends mother is undermining the relationship of the 16 year old's mother that could have long term damage and teaching her that hand,ing conflict is to run away and cut off .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,764,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Or require that the mother and daughter go to family counseling. Basically the friends mother is undermining the relationship of the 16 year old's mother that could have long term damage and teaching her that hand,ing conflict is to run away and cut off .
The thread is nearly 10 years old. Said 16 yo is likely 25 now and it is a moot point.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 438 times
my son ran away to his father house and now he want me to drop the child support. I think that not right when I had the boy for 16 years. that hurts I love my son and I do want him to be happy some time we have to do things that we don't want to do. Being a mother is challenging.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,689 posts, read 18,057,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snior View Post
my son ran away to his father house and now he want me to drop the child support. I think that not right when I had the boy for 16 years. that hurts I love my son and I do want him to be happy some time we have to do things that we don't want to do. Being a mother is challenging.
Can you go back to court? If your son is no longer living with you, it does seem that you should be paying child support to the dad instead of him paying it to you.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM

776 posts, read 396,071 times
Why is "running away" seeing as such a horrible thing just because they haven't been on Earth for 18 years?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:45 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Why is "running away" seeing as such a horrible thing just because they haven't been on Earth for 18 years?
Define "running away". A lot of states can't charge anybody with harboring a runaway unless the runaway is actually missing (i.e. their family and police do not know where they are, or that they are safe).

In a few states it is actually illegal to run away, and in a few others, the police can forcibly return a minor. In such cases, it does seem there is an infringement on the youth's civil rights. But then again, what government in history doesn't oppress people who lack the right to vote? The government is totalitarian if you are under 18, not a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting