Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardRenteria View Post
Amazing videos..Really helped us.Thank you for sharing such ideas.
I'm glad they helped. It helped me put many things into perspective last year when we were having lots of trouble with our then 4 year old. The tantrum videos were very interesting. I never thought to just hold him as tight as possible and bring in his arms and legs to calm him. It doesn't work all the time, as he fights it, but when he lets go, he likes being balled up and calms him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:35 AM

462 posts, read 550,302 times
Is he speech delayed? Sometimes speech delayed children will have more tantrums since they are unable to express their needs. But from what you said he doesn't sound too far out of the norm. Some children can be quite calm, others like your child not so much. The fact that he splits time between you and your ex could be an issue also, kids (even at that age) pick up on things and are much more attuned to us than we realize. I have a son a bit younger than yours and I noticed he will often get very upset if my wife or myself raise our voices for example.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I would recommend that instead of a doctor, you find a child therapist who can work with you and your ex to understand child development and learn how to structure your co-parenting in ways that benefits your son the most.

Scroll down just a bit on this page to read about the ways divorce can affect children who are under age 3yo:

HOW DOES DIVORCE EFFECT CHILDREN AT DIFFERENT AGES?

Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Binge watch some Supernanny. She is incredible at teaching parents how to teach and discipline the little ones while still being loving, fair, and kind.

If you have a pack-n-play, they are perfect at this age for a safe place to put kiddo when kiddo is having a tantrum. You can also start time-outs for hitting. When he hits, tell him "no hit" and put him in the pack-n-play and then remove your attention from him (no talking, no yelling, no eye contact, nothing) for approximately 1 minute. Then go get him, tell him "no hit" again, try and get him to say "sorry" (sometimes hard at that age if they are not talking yet), then give him big hugs and kisses and back to normal. Do it over and over and over every single time he hits. You have to be consistent. If you are consistent, eventually it will work, promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting