Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

I have a 1 1/2 year old son who has recently started having some bad behaviors show up. When he is told no, or is redirected from something that he should not be doing, he gets very upset which results in him hitting things, hitting me and hitting himself. He will also bang his head on the floor, and he usually does it very hard. Occasionally he will throw himself on the floor and cry and scream.

My son has never been hit, and to my knowledge (especially when he is with me during my parenting time) he has not been exposed to any sort of violence. So I am unsure where he is getting these behaviors from. He has an appointment scheduled with a doctor to speak with them regarding what can be done to try and redirect these behaviors
(I want to know what can be done with working with my son to take care of the problem, any and all behavior drugs will never be considered in assisting the situation as I strongly believe that they can be much harmful, my opinion!), but I wanted to get some input from parents who may have experienced this and how they've handled the situations.

So any and all input or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
It's called a 1 1/2 year old trying to figure out his limits and boundaries. Everything you described sounds normal, except maybe the hitting his head on the ground. That can't feel good.

There's a free website where they have tons of videos. Kids in the House | Parenting tips for all parenting styles. You might want to watch a few videos to learn redirection.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
During "your parenting time"?

Are you divorced? What is the boy's living situation? Is he in day care?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,708 times
Thank you, I will have to look into that website!

Also, in regards to the Parenting time, his mother and I have a 50/50 custody agreement, so he is with me part of the week and he is with her part of the week as well. He is not in day care because myself and his mother are available to watch him during our parenting time.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's called a 1 1/2 year old trying to figure out his limits and boundaries. Everything you described sounds normal, except maybe the hitting his head on the ground. That can't feel good.

There's a free website where they have tons of videos. Kids in the House | Parenting tips for all parenting styles. You might want to watch a few videos to learn redirection.

Yes, unless he is doing this for hours at a time, it is pretty normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singledad1124 View Post
Thank you, I will have to look into that website!

Also, in regards to the Parenting time, his mother and I have a 50/50 custody agreement, so he is with me part of the week and he is with her part of the week as well. He is not in day care because myself and his mother are available to watch him during our parenting time.
Being in two different households, with two different parents, possibly with two different parenting techniques can be extremely confusing and upsetting for some toddlers. They usually get over the rough patch within a few months. Or it can carry into the "terrible twos".

Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
He is still a baby and wants to explore everything. Are you sure he is getting the opportunity to explore new things and not being told "no" too much? It sounds like he is frustrated.

Try to put most of the "no no" things out of sight while he is there, and get down on the floor and play with him. At this age they need lots of new things and places to explore, and they still need almost constant attention. They like to play with things they see you with like an old set of keys, empty boxes of all sizes, pots & pans, your shoes/ hats etc. They like you to read picture books and help them learn about the pictures. Most like music and dancing around.

Babies are a lot of fun and a lot of work too!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 PM

99 posts, read 93,069 times
It's normal. The hitting and head banging are frustration. It gets better when they can actually talk and tell you what they want.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
He's 1 1/2 yrs old. This is nothing, It's day to day roll off your back type stuff. Calm down OP. You're in for a lot worse - this is the easy part.

How could you think anyone would even think to suggest meds for a 1.5 yr old who throws a little tantrum.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM

389 posts, read 422,333 times
That age can be so difficult. How's he coming along with "talking?" Often they understand a lot at that age, but may have minimal words to express themselves. They can't say, "Hey dude, I really don't like the way you just did that!" "However, if I throw this massive tantrum, you will know I didn't like it!"

Good for you for checking in with his doctor, and looking for ways to make it better. Good luck!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

Amazing videos..Really helped us.Thank you for sharing such ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting