Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

I haven't followed much of the thread, but I am guessing people have strong feelings about this.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-19-2016 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I do however think there's a significant difference between first time parents in their 40's/50's and parents who've spent most of their adult lives raising children and essentially have to start over and do it all again. That's got to take it out of you.
Good point. I'm 20 years in with six more before my youngest turns 18, and that's not counting that our middle child will need care for the rest of her life. I couldn't start all over.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Many times women in their 50s and older develop sleep problems. Good sleep is critical to being able to handle raising a family. Think 3 kids and a sleep deprived, menopausal mother...not a good situation.
There are a lot of mothers in their 50's with teens. Most of them get through it just fine and for many, laudably. Because when you have kids that's what you do.

So, what's the cutoff for childbearing, according to the naysayers here who don't think a woman in her 50's can handle a child?

25? 30? 19, just to be safe? I mean, at 33 you're getting perilously close to being in - gasp, horror - menopause when the child is 18. 40 is obviously out of the question. Perhaps we could institute some kind of mandatory sterilization beyond 35 to make sure we don't put the poor children through the hell that is a 55 year old parent.

And after that I mean women just lose the plot and might as well be euthanized for all the good they are to anybody. Right?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There are a lot of mothers in their 50's with teens. Most of them get through it just fine and for many, laudably. Because when you have kids that's what you do.

So, what's the cutoff for childbearing, according to the naysayers here who don't think a woman in her 50's can handle a child?

25? 30? 19, just to be safe? I mean, at 33 you're getting perilously close to being in - gasp, horror - menopause when the child is 18. 40 is obviously out of the question. Perhaps we could institute some kind of mandatory sterilization beyond 35 to make sure we don't put the poor children through the hell that is a 55 year old parent.

And after that I mean women just lose the plot and might as well be euthanized for all the good they are to anybody. Right?
If a woman is in her 50s and parenting a teenager, then she had kids in her mid-30s. She did not start around 40+ and is 50+ with a child in elementary school. It's not the same - false equivalency.

You are spreading misinformation that is not sound. Because of outliers like you, many women postpone having children due to misinformation or slanted information devoid of the biological realities and medical considerations of life. So many women thought they would be able to conceive post-35 with no problems, only to find that is not always true.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have really enjoyed, and applaud, your perspective here Finster.
Thank you Mattie.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If a woman is in her 50s and parenting a teenager, then many had kids in their mid-30s. She did not start around 40+ and is 50+ with a child in elementary school. It's not the same - false equivalency.
So you're saying it's tougher to have a child in elementary school while experiencing menopause than having teenagers while in menopause?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If a woman is in her 50s and parenting a teenager, then she had kids in her mid-30s. She did not start around 40+ and is 50+ with a child in elementary school. It's not the same - false equivalency.

You are spreading misinformation that is not sound. Because of outliers like you, many women postpone having children due to misinformation or slanted information devoid of the biological realities and medical considerations of life. So many women thought they would be able to conceive post-35 with no problems, only to find that is not always true.
I am sure they are capable of talking to their doctors and making their own decisions about such an important life altering choice. Women aren't stupid.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:30 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Janet Jackson might soon become the new symbol of the rise of the 50-year-old mom.

The 49-year-old singer/songwriter, who turns 50 next month, announced to fans in a video on Twitter on Wednesday that she would be delaying the second leg of her "Unbreakable" world tour because she and her husband are focused on family planning.

The rise of the 50-year-old mom - CNN.com
No.
Regardless of how hot a woman may look at 50, and how much she has kept in shape, almost all women will have stopped producing eggs by that time.

She may become the symbol, but it's going to be a mighty small club.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Good point. I'm 20 years in with six more before my youngest turns 18, and that's not counting that our middle child will need care for the rest of her life. I couldn't start all over.
Wow...how interesting...we're roughly similar. 29 years in for me, nine more until my youngest turns 18, middle son will need lifelong care.

If I were pregnant right now, I am certain I would have an abortion. However, that possibility is off the table as I had a tubal ligation after my third child. I knew I didn't want to be pregnant after 40, I was cutting it close as it was and I was so tired, and we just knew he was going to be our last.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Moderator cut: warning

Have deleted many off topic, sarcastic, attacking ..not to mention chat room type posts.
Stay on topic and stay within the TOS rules...pretty please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting