Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 12:30 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times

Advertisements

Another poster had a good idea: Where possible, bus drivers should be encouraged to park across all lanes of traffic, preventing any drivers from getting through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes this. School buses have stop signs that pop out when the children are entering and exiting the bus for a reason. Traffic going both directions is obligated to stop until the stop sign is retracted by the bus driver.
Yes. And gosh, that video looks like it was taken in a place that's not all that busy. In my urban area the buses have a stop sign that comes out when they are loading or unloading kids and drivers are obligated by law to stop on both sides of the road. Children, even when taught, will make mistakes because they are children. We also have cameras on the buses that record traffic not stopping and drivers who are guilty of not stopping are ticketed. It takes all of us, parents teaching children not to jump out in front of the school bus as well as drivers recognizing that it might happen, to prevent a tragedy.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:14 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I think in order to prevent this from happening, the bus driver when coming to a stop should turn the wheel of the bus, so that, they are blocking both sides of the road, yes, they might have to back up, to straighten out again, however, it would prevent the crazies from running the bus stop. We have a woman bus driver in our area who does this, b/c people have run the bus stop on her many times, it is a practice she says helps tremendously.

I think it would be wise for everyone to bring this up at your school board meetings...sure, perhaps a child has never been hurt in your area, but all it takes is one.

also feel that parents need to also teach their kids, to stop and look both ways before crossing. It is a good rule to teach them, isn't it?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbunny View Post
A surprising number of cars don't stop when they are supposed to but our bus driver makes it known - he lays on the horn for them. I have to admit, I didn't know you had to stop but luckily all the cars in front of me stopped so I figured it out. I grew up and lived in an area that did not have school buses, and only moved into this area that has school buses a year ago.
How did you get a driver's license w/o knowing that? It's usually on the written test!

While I think kids should be taught safety, to avoid the situation of "they were right, but they were dead right", it's really the responsibility of the adults around to watch for the kids.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM

Katarina Witt;

Quote:
While I think kids should be taught safety, to avoid the situation of "they were right, but they were dead right", it's really the responsibility of the adults around to watch for the kids.

Hi Katarina, the only problem with that is, what is a parent to do, if a car comes rolling down the road, at 45 MPH and her child is starting to walk out, and hasn't looked both ways? What do you do?

I think the safest precaution would be for the parent to stand there and yell STOP, now look both ways, is there a car coming? Then cross.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Katarina Witt;

Hi Katarina, the only problem with that is, what is a parent to do, if a car comes rolling down the road, at 45 MPH and her child is starting to walk out, and hasn't looked both ways? What do you do?

I think the safest precaution would be for the parent to stand there and yell STOP, now look both ways, is there a car coming? Then cross.
I didn't usually meet the school bus when my kids rode it. The stop was fairly close to my house on a street in a residential neighborhood with a 25 mph speed limit.

Of course the parent should do whatever it takes to ensure the kid is safe.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, though. That the parent should meet the bus every day? It was an older child who almost got hit. I didn't see a speed limit sign in the clip, but judging from the road, I wouldn't think it more than 30-35. As I said, you want to teach them safety so they aren't "dead right", but I think that area needs more policing.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I didn't usually meet the school bus when my kids rode it. The stop was fairly close to my house on a street in a residential neighborhood with a 25 mph speed limit.

Of course the parent should do whatever it takes to ensure the kid is safe.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, though. That the parent should meet the bus every day? It was an older child who almost got hit. I didn't see a speed limit sign in the clip, but judging from the road, I wouldn't think it more than 30-35. As I said, you want to teach them safety so they aren't "dead right", but I think that area needs more policing.
unfortunately, there are not enough police to go around....they are too busy with calls anymore, due to cutbacks in communities....that is why two police officers do not ride together any longer, there just isn't enough money allocated to communities for officers...

Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
unfortunately, there are not enough police to go around....they are too busy with calls anymore, due to cutbacks in communities....that is why two police officers do not ride together any longer, there just isn't enough money allocated to communities for officers...
When I complained to my local police about people running a certain red light in my neighborhood at a busy intersection my kids had to cross, they sent a police car for a couple of days, just to put a little fear into certain people.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
When I complained to my local police about people running a certain red light in my neighborhood at a busy intersection my kids had to cross, they sent a police car for a couple of days, just to put a little fear into certain people.
well if thats the case, I'm going to call our local police (again) because people are constantly running red lights around here, even in the morning....

My son is an officer, and we've discussed this, which is where I've gotten my information...however, every municipality is different

Old 09-17-2016, 03:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbunny View Post
I have to admit, I didn't know you had to stop but luckily all the cars in front of me stopped so I figured it out. I grew up and lived in an area that did not have school buses, and only moved into this area that has school buses a year ago.
You didn't know you had to stop for school buses? Really? What state granted you a license? Are you saying the test did not mention rules regarding school buses at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting