Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Umm, no - she made a comment acknowledging how much the mother seemed to love playing with her daughter.

The other day, a co-worker's daughter-in-law gave birth to his first grandchild. I fussed over him, and quoted to him a line that an ex-boss had once said to me "A person has children so that one day they can have grandchildren." I didn't say it while thinking, 'Gee, why haven't any of your four other children had babies yet.'

Acknowledging that many people love to be grandparents is not mutually exclusive with shaming their children (especially single children in their 20's) for not yet having had kids.

Exactly.
I agree. The woman made a comment about the mom enjoying the baby. I think it is a stretch for the OP to take it as a personal insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 02:58 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post

It's just that in this case it was the look on the woman's face, and particularly the wry smile and the tone of her voice.
If you got that feeling about her, then you are probably right about her motives in making the comment. She wasn't being nice.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
If you got that feeling about her, then you are probably right about her motives in making the comment. She wasn't being nice.

Yep. She wasn't being nice.

She was tearing you down, to build herself up.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
You'll always get people saying this to you about kids. I will say that nowadays most people are postponing children, and of there are always people who don't want to have children or can't have children for whatever reason. It's a personal question. I would just laugh it off or just say, "maybe, eventually."

That being said, if you are thinking about having children, it is better to have them when you're young. Your fertility goes down after 30. You just don't know how your body will be. That's your choice, though. If you want to have children, then make it a priority, otherwise, you might be too old. Whatever you choose is fine.
Plenty of women have healthy babies after 30 (even in the 35-40 age range).

Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Because she is an insecure, useless ****.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
OP I would have responded made her feel really uncomfortable some how. Maybe tell her I couldn't have children or something that would make her feel bad. I hate when people tell others what to do with their lives. A friend of mine recently called me laughing that even her Uber driver was telling her to have kids...she too is single.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
OP I would have responded made her feel really uncomfortable some how. Maybe tell her I couldn't have children or something that would make her feel bad. I hate when people tell others what to do with their lives. A friend of mine recently called me laughing that even her Uber driver was telling her to have kids...she too is single.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I agree. The woman made a comment about the mom enjoying the baby. I think it is a stretch for the OP to take it as a personal insult.
Yeah, I'm not quite seeing it either.

Maybe it would have been obvious if we'd been there...

Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Plenty of women have healthy babies after 30 (even in the 35-40 age range).
yes true but we know now that over 35 is said to be more at risk of down syndrome babies..

Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
........While I think it's a tacky question or remark to make towards someone, if a person said this to me, I would not have gotten bent out of shape about it. .......
Maybe not bent out of shape but when it happens, one does remember.

As it is, I have not heard such for decades but I do remember similar in the service when it was asked...or perhaps stated to me, "Do you always want to be alone?".

A, B, and C. A: Our society, IMHO, is programmed for that when we are adults, we will get married and have children. As I have noted before elsewhere, what kills a TV show for me is when they move from the format of being single to getting married. It happens, it is what sells shows to most of the population but to me, it is a blaring slap in the face and soon after that, I stop watching.

B: To me, it hurts to be constantly reminded that such is the way that life is to be (as most of the population understands it, that is) .........so I don't think the OP is out of line at all to take offense at a question that is further into such a line of thought to one degree or another.

C: Back then, I had no answer to such a question. These days, I would probably just take the diplomatic response of "Well, that is what makes horse races." or alternately, take another country's way of seeing things and respond in that way. Ie, if someone says I was absent yesterday, I should not offer an explanation but rather respond "Merci" (Thank you for missing me). Perhaps such a response could be used in these situations as well as in "Thank you for your concern".

That said, however, it is something of a false answer, of a camouflage for it stops me from expressing how such inquiries really make me feel. Which is to say, "Your interpretation of what my feelings should be is not appreciated.".

Which comes back to answer the OP's question. Why do people criticize? Because they believe that everyone believes just like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting