Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
What do you think?
That you are overreacting. She was just commenting on how much your mother enjoyed playing with her daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,371,112 times
Oh please. I've been with my husband over ten years and I always have people asking me when I'm going to have a baby. ALWAYS.

I think it's annoying but nah I don't let it get to me.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM

518 posts, read 926,299 times
Personally, I think you should just let it go. You know your current path in life and nobody can dictate that to you. Words are wind and opinions are like a**holes. Some people view having children as a badge of honor, some people are stuck in old societal norms and think that everyone should follow those norms. If you are happy with where you are, then agree with the statement and move on. Although, I think your outrage at the comment may indicate something that you need to deal with in relation to your own life. I'm not saying it is the not having kids thing, but it may have touched a nerve of some sort.

My courtship with my wife was a long one and we were married for 5 years before we had our first child. I received lots of comments like this at family functions for both sides of our family. I would just say when it happens it happens. I snapped once after our first pregnancy fell through and someone made a comment like that at the 1st birthday party for one of my nephew-in-law's illegitimate children. I apologized afterward, but it was gut wrenching with the loss being more raw than I thought it was.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,136,148 times
When people say incredibly stupid things to me, I just stare at them and let it sink in as to HOW stupid their comments are to me.

It works every time. I always get an apology.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM

491 posts, read 475,273 times
You'll always get people saying this to you about kids. I will say that nowadays most people are postponing children, and of there are always people who don't want to have children or can't have children for whatever reason. It's a personal question. I would just laugh it off or just say, "maybe, eventually."

That being said, if you are thinking about having children, it is better to have them when you're young. Your fertility goes down after 30. You just don't know how your body will be. That's your choice, though. If you want to have children, then make it a priority, otherwise, you might be too old. Whatever you choose is fine.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,649,266 times
People say insulting and insensitive things all the time. This is one of them. Why? Because everyone has their own beliefs of how human beings should live and they get annoyed when they see others not living the way THEY believe. But some people can keep their mouths shut, others like this lady can't.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:32 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,421,147 times
Quote:

The following happened when I was 27. I was single at the time. I was at my mother's for the weekend(I'm her only child). A married couple with two kids, ages five years and six months, came over for a few hours. The wife is five years older than me.They aren't close friends, but my mom knew the woman's parents years back and we helped them out when they settled in our area. Anyhow, my mother was playing with their daughter and being very affectionate, as many people are around kids. This woman looks at me and says with a smile on her face:

"[Mother's name] doesn't have a granddaughter".
Next time, say: "Yeah, but she'd probably prefer that I get the husband before the child."

Old 03-21-2017, 04:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Or you could be like a woman I know who just had her fourth and gets " when are you going to stop?" "Why did you have so many?"

Find something else to be annoyed about. I do agree that there is a reason THIS comment has you rattled. It's up to you to figure out why.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,714,787 times
Quote:
This woman looks at me and says with a smile on her face:
"[Mother's name] doesn't have a granddaughter".
?
If someone said that to anyone in my home, I would ask them to leave. It's unacceptable under my own roof.

So there's what I think.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
You'll always get people saying this to you about kids. I will say that nowadays most people are postponing children, and of there are always people who don't want to have children or can't have children for whatever reason. It's a personal question. I would just laugh it off or just say, "maybe, eventually."

That being said, if you are thinking about having children, it is better to have them when you're young. Your fertility goes down after 30. You just don't know how your body will be. That's your choice, though. If you want to have children, then make it a priority, otherwise, you might be too old. Whatever you choose is fine.
I agree with this. After 30, most women are taking fertility drugs/struggling to get pregnant. Add in the cost of fertility treatments, yikes. Most would have been better off financially postponing the career, getting pregnant naturally and then resuming career.

If you do want to become a mom -- and this is for all young women -- you need to devote as much time to your career as you do to finding a spouse and getting ready to have the kids. I've seen it again and again, have two friends in fact who waited till 40 to have a kid. It's a tough, tough way to wait that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting